Why become a member? ×

Tim Commerfords new bass rig.....open the biscuits, pull up a chair and wait for it :-)

Mudpup

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1469351778' post='3097524']
It Looks like Tim C isn't using the Barefaced cabs at this gig , any idea what these no name cabs are ??
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzyPw2lpWqo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=TzyPw2lpWqo[/url]
[/quote]

The 810 looks like an Ampeg PR810h - but the pair of 4x10's actually look like a PR810h cut in half, because the 410hlf from the same series had massive ports on the bottom.

Either way, I agree that backline rigs are not always what the artist wants and in some cases is not even remotely what the artist endorses. It depends on what the tour hire companies can supply.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1469351778' post='3097524']
It Looks like Tim C isn't using the Barefaced cabs at this gig , any idea what these no name cabs are ??
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzyPw2lpWqo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=TzyPw2lpWqo[/url]
[/quote]

Love affair didn't last long then?

Yeah, it could be a supplied backline, but I would have thought someone of Tim's calibre would not accept any old backline?

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469373335' post='3097778']
Love affair didn't last long then :)

but I would have thought someone of Tim's calibre would not accept any old backline?
[/quote]

Billy Sheehan has a system that is very well known, nearly as much as the bass he uses, yet there's plenty of times he's been seen with different amps and cabinets. Saw a YT video a while back where I think he was using a Trace head lol

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469373335' post='3097778']
Yeah, it could be a supplied backline, but I would have thought someone of Tim's calibre would not accept any old backline?
[/quote]

Didn't he previously use Ampeg cabs? In which case it seems a fairly sensible choice :)

No idea what that rig is, but I'd recommend that it be repaired. Bloomin' awful racket from beginning to end, even taking into account that it's a 'phone recording. They finished (not too soon...) on one that I actually recognised (yes, 'Killing...'), as we 'cover' that in our set. I prefer our one, by a long chalk. Still, if it pleases some. Much ado about nothing, as far as I'm concerned... :mellow:

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1469373513' post='3097780']
Billy Sheehan has a system that is very well known, nearly as much as the bass he uses, yet there's plenty of times he's been seen with different amps and cabinets. Saw a YT video a while back where I think he was using a Trace head lol
[/quote]

Exactly.

I saw a clip of him on one of the Winery Dogs tours in the far east where he was using an Ampeg set up. From what I gather Billy really only takes his bass, pedal board and possibly wireless monitoring gear with him on tour and all the other stuff is hired in. Pretty much standard for musicians as it beats hauling cabs and amps around. Using the gear they endorse isn't always practical.
His band mate Kotzen uses various amps and cabs. In the US he's been using his signature Cornford gear, in the UK I think he was using Cornford heads with Marshall cabs and everywhere else it was all Marshall. Prior to that he was using Fenders. That's why he's got his fly rig pedal, as long as he's got that he's fairly happy :)

He will have a basic spec rider.... and there will be a few comparable options on that list.
That is for the hire company to source and supply.

So yes, he wont accept any old backline... if the tech rider says 4 410 of a certain nature etc etc.... he isn't going to be best pleased with
something too far off that spec.
If he said 'not Ashdown' ...and this is just illustrate a point and not a dig at Ashdown... no one is going to put that rig up on stage as it is just inviting trouble that no one needs.

For well run festivals with a certain budget... they'll very likely have a whole backline truck to take your pick from...

The way Tim tours he needs two rigs, the A rig and the B rig - the A rig is used most of the time and on all studio work, the B rig is used when logistics mean the A rig can't get there in time. Unfortunately Tim's Barefaced B rig is waiting for its woofers to turn up, which have been delayed due to a production issue at the Eminence factory, so the old Ampeg rig is being used instead. And sometimes rigs get hired, like the Wakrat gig in London tomorrow (which we'd have supplied if we didn't have this lack of 10" drivers!)

Okay, so I haven't been reading this thread, but after it reached ten pages I had to check it out thinking 'wow, I didn't realise that Tim Commerford was still so popular!'

My bad...

Seriously, well done for Barefaced.

My only problem with Barefaced on this site are when threads along the lines of 'I'm going to buy an Ampeg 6x10 but I'm also considering a Mesa Boogie' lead to replies of 'get a Barefaced!'. Even that is a minor quibble.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1469471684' post='3098613']
My only problem with Barefaced on this site are when threads along the lines of 'I'm going to buy an Ampeg 6x10 but I'm also considering a Mesa Boogie' lead to replies of 'get a Barefaced!'. Even that is a minor quibble.
[/quote]

Does it bother you when someone posts "please help me choose, a Jazz or a Stingray?" and someone invariably says "get a Precision!" ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1469475719' post='3098659']
Does it bother you when someone posts "please help me choose, a Jazz or a Stingray?" and someone invariably says "get a Precision!" ;)
[/quote]

Very much so, even more so when people say 'buy a Dingwall!'

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1469476096' post='3098660']
Very much so, even more so when people say 'buy a Dingwall!'
[/quote]

Who says that?! Bit odd to categorise that with the Precision and Barefaced brigade!

Dingwall's sell themselves..... ;)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469476660' post='3098674']
Who says that?! Bit odd to categorise that with the Precision and Barefaced brigade!

Dingwall's sell themselves..... ;)
[/quote]

I've heard that the Super P model sounds really super when played through a Super Twin...

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1469478278' post='3098702']
I've heard that the Super P model sounds really super when played through a Super Twin...
[/quote]

Good for metal, too...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1469533938' post='3099036']
If someone is not interested in hearing any other options other than the two options they initially supply......don't ask on a forum :)

Si
[/quote]

Good point!

Likewise, if somebody has a different opinion that would seemingly go against the grain, accept that people do have different opinions/experiences that may not adhere to your experience/opinion/liking.