Why become a member? ×

Tim Commerfords new bass rig.....open the biscuits, pull up a chair and wait for it :-)

Mudpup

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464863198' post='3063208']
You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? :D
[/quote]
Not at all - in fact, again, I couldn't care less if he did or didn't do that - my comment was and still is, completely tongue in cheek.

[quote]
I'd say it almost never gives you the same tone as the artist using it. Like signature basses. The point is, he thinks Barefaced gear is more than good enough, the implication being that if it's good enough for him, then it's good enough for you.
[/quote]

And conversely... Lots of name artists use Fender basses - but there is a trend on here that if you buy a jazz bass, you do your best not to buy a Fender and go for one of the many boutique clones. From what I can tell, a 2x10, 4x10 and a 8x10 has been swapped out for a 2x10, 4x10 and a 8x10. I don't quite see the big revelation.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464864375' post='3063226']
Not at all - in fact, again, I couldn't care less if he did or didn't do that - my comment was and still is, completely tongue in cheek.
[/quote]

So was mine. :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464864375' post='3063226']
And conversely... Lots of name artists use Fender basses - but there is a trend on here that if you buy a jazz bass, you do your best not to buy a Fender and go for one of the many boutique clones. From what I can tell, a 2x10, 4x10 and a 8x10 has been swapped out for a 2x10, 4x10 and a 8x10. I don't quite see the big revelation.
[/quote]

Once again, the big revelation is [i]inside [/i]the 2X10, 4X10 and 8X10. I'm not going through it again, all the info is on the website. :)
Edit: You [i]have [/i]been to the Barefaced site to read the spec on these cabs, haven't you? They are not 'standard' cabs in any way apart from their appearance.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464864724' post='3063234']
Once again, the big revelation is [i]inside [/i]the 2X10, 4X10 and 8X10. I'm not going through it again, all the info is on the website. :)
[/quote]

You mean the LPF(s) on one of the columns... which given the apparent fact (courtesy of dood in this thread) that the soundguy has close miced up the full range speakers (meaning that the sound of the cab is irrelevant) which then go to feed the foh, monitoring and any recording, actually doesn't come into play at all... especially as TC wears inears?

I think I'm being to understand now.

Edited by EBS_freak

I really don't understand the need to go into any more detail than this: Tim Commerford, the daddy of bass tone, has chosen barefaced cabs to use in his latest rig. That means he's either suffering from severe mental illness, or they're great cabs. Probably the latter

Whether or not you need a cab live, or whether or not you get the "sound of the cab" through the PA, or whether or not these cabs are totally revolutionary are all beside the point of the endorsement, surely?

I'm delighted that Tim has chosen to use our cabs for many reasons, not least of which being that I've been a huge fan of Rage Against The Machine since I was in school.

Regarding the 'expertise/opinions' from some people:

1. Tim C rarely uses in-ears.

2. Tim used to use two 4x10"s and one 8x10", or two 8x10"s, depending on whether he was running two or three heads and the related pedalboard.

3. The sound of a speaker and the sound of a cab are inextricably intertwined - the cab determines how the speaker sounds and vice versa. If you mic a speaker you hear the sound of the cab, just like if you look at a person in a hall of mirrors you see what they look like from that angle and many other angles too.

4. I've never had a problem with 10" speakers, I just had a problem with speakers that couldn't do what I needed them to do and the assumption that a certain diameter of speaker is ideal for bass guitar with no logic or engineering sense behind it.

5. There are a lot more differences between our 10CR range and every other 10" bass guitar cab on the market than simply the addition of a low pass filter on half the drivers in the larger cabs. If you doubt that, ask why people are liking the One10 so much, when previously 1x10" bass cabs have been rarely usable for bass without accepting massively compromised tone.

It's a shame when opinion masquerades as fact.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1464866894' post='3063253']
...ask why people are liking the One10 so much, when previously 1x10" bass cabs have been rarely usable for bass without accepting massively compromised tone. It's a shame when opinion masquerades as fact.
[/quote]

I love my One10, me. The phat tone is certainly coming from the direction of that little box. I'm not technically-minded, but I suspect it's got something to do with the unique design of the driver and/or the box itself... sounds great, though. In my opinion, of course.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1464867024' post='3063257']
And by the way, if you think that the rest of the band can't hear Tim's rig onstage, or that the audience can't hear it in a venue as small as the Whisky A Go Go, you clearly have no idea quite how loud a rig this powerful and large is!
[/quote]

I do. Any 410 running at any significant volume is going to be heard at Whisky A Go Go

I bet the sound men love him overpowering the foh mix.

I've played some reasonable sized venues with a decent 2x12 and a so called heftless class d head and been asked to turn it down to stop it spoiling the foh mix, I've never seen a live band where I could hear the bass properly for every song unless they ran a clean DI.

But I'm not TC so what do I know? I presume this will be the new level of competence required to comment on anything in future?

[quote]
1. Tim C rarely uses in-ears.
[/quote]

Pictures would suggest otherwise

[quote]
2. Tim used to use two 4x10"s and one 8x10", or two 8x10"s, depending on whether he was running two or three heads and the related pedalboard.
[/quote]

If the cabs are miced like they are it wouldn't matter if it was a 1x10 or a 32x10.

[quote]
3. The sound of a speaker and the sound of a cab are inextricably intertwined - the cab determines how the speaker sounds and vice versa. If you mic a speaker you hear the sound of the cab, just like if you look at a person in a hall of mirrors you see what they look like from that angle and many other angles too.
[/quote]

Agreed. But the sound from the cabs is significantly decreased to the point of being negligible the closer you mic the speaker.

[quote]
4. I've never had a problem with 10" speakers, I just had a problem with speakers that couldn't do what I needed them to do and the assumption that a certain diameter of speaker is ideal for bass guitar with no logic or engineering sense behind it.
[/quote]

It was more to do with the speakers not being in a column that I believed you were complaining about.

There is a point to be made about cabs and music where things aren't engineered perfectly. And those "engineering" inadequacies are exactly what people are drawn to.

For example, classic cars have a cult following because they don't drive like new cars. There is a certain unmeasurable enjoyment factor of an old car being shakey on its wheels whilst taking a corner at speed that excites people - this just isn't the same in modern cars. The way they look, the way they smell - some people get off on this stuff... So taking an old car and engineering out everything that made it what it was, destroys the soul and magic of what that car once was.

Same applies to old Fenders basses. Same applies to those 4x10 cabs and 8x10 cabs which were of course hideously unusable before BF came along.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote]
5. There are a lot more differences between our 10CR range and every other 10" bass guitar cab on the market than simply the addition of a low pass filter on half the drivers in the larger cabs. If you doubt that, ask why people are liking the One10 so much, when previously 1x10" bass cabs have been rarely usable for bass without accepting massively compromised tone.
[/quote]

Who is liking them so much?

[quote]
[/quote]

Ditto with marketing blurb.

I've never seen one of these famous "barefaced bashing threads" before and I'm quite perplexed now that I'm actually in one.

Anyway, just on the point of close-micing - I do a lot of recording, and I've recorded a lot of different bass cabs with 10" speakers. They all sound different to me, no matter how close my mic is.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464869801' post='3063293']
Who is liking them so much?
[/quote]

Ha, ha!! :lol:

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464869801' post='3063293']
Ditto with marketing blurb.
[/quote]

Barefaced are one of the very few cab manufacturers to publish full specifications of their products.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1464866894' post='3063253']
Regarding the 'expertise/opinions' from some people:

[/quote]

Never a truer word and far too many examples of it in recent times. :(

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464870417' post='3063298']
I've never seen one of these famous "barefaced bashing threads" before and I'm quite perplexed now that I'm actually in one.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's always been a head scratcher for me too. I don't go out of my way to chime in on threads about how much I dislike particular gear. BF seems to be the only one getting this flak. I do understand giving and sharing opinion, experience, and balancing views, but I seem to sense an argumentative approach by some where BF is concerned. It just seems very illogical.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1464870417' post='3063298']

Anyway, just on the point of close-micing - I do a lot of recording, and I've recorded a lot of different bass cabs with 10" speakers. They all sound different to me, no matter how close my mic is.
[/quote]

But do all these lots of different cabs have the same 10" speaker?