Why become a member? ×

Which bass(es) do you like to gig with?

Number6

There are many BC'ers that have a few basses but which ones do you prefer to gig with?

I really love gigging with my Mex Precision which is set up fairly low with Roto nickels roundwounds and played with a foam mute at the bridge. I just really dig the sound of it and it is a really comfortable bass to play. I know Mex's get a bad rap sometimes but mine was definitely built on a day when the workforce were happy :)

My second gigging bass is maybe a little more surprising an Epiphone Rumblekat "Allen Woody" Sig. This shortscale is just so comfortable and the neck is really quick and the shorty low down thump is really cool.

I have other nice basses. A Yamaha 5 string, a nice Fame JB made in Gdansk by Mayones but i always consider the P and Epi first.

So what are your #1 #2 or whatever # choices for gigging or go to basses?

:)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1460550879' post='3026703']
Have you posted pics of that one M?
[/quote]

Yes, but just in case there's anyone who hasn't seen them... :D
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275912-nbd-limelight-dakota-red-precision-bass-1963-audio/

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460551030' post='3026705']

Yes, but just in case there's anyone who hasn't seen them... :D
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275912-nbd-limelight-dakota-red-precision-bass-1963-audio/
[/quote]

That is a cool looking bass! Love it :)

i only have 3 basses but the recent addition of an Ibanez SR1805 is my go to, probably because its a 5ver but also it plays like a dream the tones are nice and its dead light and comfy. thought i'd keep switching back to my sr500 but i've barely touched it and the jazz doesnt even get a look in

I have two G&L SB2's. I think I am a rare breed ;) in that I like flats and rounds in equal measure, so I have one bass strung with flats (the one in my avatar) and the other with rounds. I love the SB2 tone with both types of strings, so I alternate as desired. It's definitely the SB2 for me.

I think my US standard Precision has played most of my gigs in the last few years, with the mexican classic 60 Jazz a close second. All my basses are set up the same, factory spec relief, action and pick up heights, all D'Addario nickel rounds, 50-105 on the Precisions and 45-105 on the Jazzes. I think my new US standard Jazz will be making a strong bid to become my most played bass this year, though.

I tend to swap mine about a bit, most gigs have been with a Precision, but not unknow to Jazz, or Ray it.
2 new basses have come in, in the last month so it could be one of them, The Renegade or the Fretless Ibby I have been using non stop since I got it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1460550323' post='3026693']
Which ever one has the best look for the band. They all sound like basses in the mix.
[/quote]
I like my Stingray a little more than my Sandberg, but the Sandberg just looks better, so it gets more gigs.

Historically, my Mike Lull PJ5. Totally reliable and no batteries to worry about. Sometimes my Lull M5V (Jazz) if I want an active. I suppose at heart I like P basses. With a change of direction and no gig income these days, I'm thinking of moving to something less expensive.

Edited by DBerriff