Why become a member? ×

RIP Viola Beach

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35572838"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35572838[/url]

Just tragic news. They were getting to be pretty big locally, they were due to play Live at Leeds later this year. RIP lads.

Edit: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wna_Rf4wdg[/media]

Edited by Spaced

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1455455187' post='2979201']
So sad. I know nothing about them but, from the brief item on BBC News, they seemed a nice, talented, group of guys. RIP.
[/quote]

Same for me Roger; I'd never even heard of them until now but this is such a tragic story.. Young musicians, good friends no doubt and just beginning to live their dream. Terribly sad for them, their families and friends.

RIP

Again I've never heard of them. But it's terribly sad news.

I honestly couldn't count the amount of times that I've driven home from a gig at 2,3 or 4 o'clock in the morning. I guess it's a hazard of the occupation ?

Wasn't Marcus Miller's coach involved in an accident ?

Horrible news. I know that stretch of motorway well and I think I know where the accident happened...from the picture and a description, that bridge between Södertälje and Stockholm on the E4.

Edit: reading Swedish websites, it was indeed that place. There are reports that the car scraped past other cars and went right through the barrier without braking at all. It was a bit icy last night, but that would not explain it.

Edited by JimBobTTD

such a tragic loss,

however i've seen far too many posts recently on industry forums asking people to Tour manage, Do FOH and drive for a band which IMO is what leads to things like this happening. Of course theres no official word on what actually caused the accident yet and there probably never will be apart from that "the barriers and signals were working at the time of the accident"

I'd like to share a post written by a friend of mine to this thread which talks about the kind of things these bands go through on early tours and trying to "make it"

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]Let me break this sort of day down for you:[/i][/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]Gig in the evening on Friday to gig in Guildford on Saturday.[/i][/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]Save some cash, fly out on the day to Sweden, get the cheap flights (as no one booked in advance), so let's say the 6am/7am flights from Gatwick to Stockholm. So up at 4am.[/i]
[i]2 hour drive from Stockholm to Norrkoping (the festival venue). Check in at hotel would be 2:00pm unless they paid for early check-in (unlikely as budget wouldn't stretch for it). So straight to venue, they're low on the rung of bands so probably no dressing room (or if there is one, it'll be in a loud place with no sofas/anything to catch up on sleep).[/i]
[i]Rough estimate, they're on stage around 7:00pm. It's their first non-UK festival, they're young lads.. Couple of beers.. Let's say if they do get back to their hotel it's around 1:00am for lobby call at 4am to make the drive back to Stockholm for their flight (again early because it's cheap).[/i]
[i]The amount of sleep these young men and their manager would have got is roughly about 6 hours each over 2 days, give or take a few hours either way as the band might have got some kip on the way over or in the car.[/i]
[i]Now imagine being the manager driving the car on the same amount of sleep. Imagine driving in a foreign country on that amount of sleep. Imagine falling asleep for a second only to wake up crashing over a bridge with four terrified young men in the back of the car.[/i][/font][/color]
[i][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My point is this: we are not machines. Do not assume that we are machines and will just power through. Because when you do, accidents can and will happen. Make your schedule sensibly. 95% of the time, everything is ok. But the other 5% of the time.. Is it worth it?[/font][/color] [/i]

My point is that this sort of thing is far too common in the music industry these days at all levels so please be careful out there no gig is ever worth dying for :(

Edited by Chrismanbass