Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1449662694' post='2925658']
Jeeeez, you had a GF in the early 90's ?

You gotta be like a coiled spring these days

;)
[/quote]

I have been fortunate enough to end up with a couple since then...it's just not as easy these days.

Back in the 90s I had my youthful vigor, flowing locks and an optimism born of not yet having lived in the real world... Those were the days before 15 years of working in commercial construction turned my soul into the morally disengaged, unempathic, festering pit of misanthropy it is today... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

Yup, same here fella.

My cynicism with the world just gets more outrageous the longer i live.

I've come to realise i have more empathy with dogs ( and an avid, if small, financial contributor to The Dogs Trust ) than i have with the human race

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449602223' post='2925101']
It's trolling, no back pedaling.

Blue
[/quote]

How is clarifying my point 'backpedaling'? I haven't gone back on a single thing I've said...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449603783' post='2925129']
I've read all the replies Maybe not as blatant as mine, but my sentiment is shared by others here on this topic.

Blue
[/quote]

And the same goes for me, plenty of people who agree. It works both ways.

I'm not sure why you've gotten so uptight about the fact that I heard 'aimless noodling' in his music. That's my opinion and I have every right in the world to express that. And (as I've already reiterated) I asked for people to give me examples of his music that might [b]change my mind[/b]!! What more do you want?! I'm openly admitting I want my mind to be changed!!!

If you disagree with me then that's absolutely fine, that's actually what I wanted! It'd be boring if everyone agreed with this post, I wanted people to challenge what I said and to prove me wrong in the name of musical exploration! But show me why, give me examples like I asked for, don't just sit there repeating yourself over and over again calling me a troll for voicing my opinion. Check my other topics, I ask a lot of questions, I haven't set out to get anyone riled up. I had no idea that a simple post like this would cause such a 'crap'storm to be honest, it's quite baffling to me why you'd get so upset about a difference in musical opinion.

But for the sake of being mature about this, I apologise if my honest current opinion of Jaco's music has upset you or hurt your feelings. As someone who is about 40 years my senior I hope you can do the same now and just respect my opinion.

Thanks again to everyone who has debated/discussed this topic maturely and constructively! I have a lot of musical research to do this weekend :)

I have to be 100% honest and say that I've never knowingly listened to JP play!

I have a hard time with the whole jazz/fusion thing after listening to the guitarist Alan Holdsworth. Without doubt an incredibly gifted, talented player with amazing technique but to my ears he just doesn't play things I want to hear. I can appreciate Holdswoth's talent but not the tune.

I have a suspicion I would personally find the same to be true of JP

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449665887' post='2925715']
How is clarifying my point 'backpedaling'? I haven't gone back on a single thing I've said...

I'm not sure why you've gotten so uptight about the fact that I heard 'aimless noodling' in his music. That's my opinion and I have every right in the world to express that. And (as I've already reiterated) I asked for people to give me examples of his music that might [b]change my mind[/b]!! What more do you want?! I'm openly admitting I want my mind to be changed!!!

If you disagree with me then that's absolutely fine, that's actually what I wanted! It'd be boring if everyone agreed with this post, I wanted people to challenge what I said and to prove me wrong in the name of musical exploration! But show me why, give me examples like I asked for, don't just sit there repeating yourself over and over again calling me a troll for voicing my opinion. Check my other topics, I ask a lot of questions, I haven't set out to get anyone riled up. I had no idea that a simple post like this would cause such a 'crap'storm to be honest, it's quite baffling to me why you'd get so upset about a difference in musical opinion.

But for the sake of being mature about this, I apologise if my honest current opinion of Jaco's music has upset you or hurt your feelings. As someone who is about 40 years my senior I hope you can do the same now and just respect my opinion.

Thanks again to everyone who has debated/discussed this topic maturely and constructively! I have a lot of musical research to do this weekend :)
[/quote]

Your opinion is fine, no need to apologise. Some just need to get over themselves.

For easier listening of JP, check out Joni Mitchell's ' HEJIRA ' album on yootoob. Its the only JP i like myself

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1449666482' post='2925733']
Your opinion is fine, no need to apologise. Some just need to get over themselves.

For easier listening of JP, check out Joni Mitchell's ' HEJIRA ' album on yootoob. Its the only JP i like myself
[/quote]
Agreed. There was no trolling in the OP, just an opinion. I think the reactions from some people show exactly why this is a conversation that isn't had all that much.

Personally, I managed to play bass for 30 years before I heard of him and still have only knowingly listened to one track by him (I will make an effort to have a listen to Hejira), so I find 'universally acclaimed' a serious case of hyperbole. And if he was so influential, why is it that you can hear tasteful fills and melodic bass lines by people like Bruce and Bolder before Jaco, but after Jaco it seems that root 8th notes became the order of the day? :-)

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1449686056' post='2926001']
Well I've actually just listened to Hejira for the first time ever on YouTube.
I'm speechless.
[/quote]

Good, innit..? :D

Some credit may be accorded to Joni Mitchell, of course; a whole new world of her music is there, waiting to be explored, with many, many riches to be stumbled across. Some are Jaco's doing; there is so, so much more... B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449665887' post='2925715']

[b]But for the sake of being mature about this, I apologise if my honest current opinion of Jaco's music has upset you or hurt your feelings. As someone who is about 40 years my senior I hope you can do the same now and just respect my opinion.[/b]

[/quote]

Well, he doesn't seem to get 'opinion' unless it is his...and you'd better believe he knows best :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love his song based stuff, with Joni particularly. But Donna Lee just sounds like someone driving down a cobbled street with a bass and some congas in the boot. I'm sure it's clever, and better trained ears might get something out of it (or at least pretend to, to look smart), but it's barely musical to me.

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1449666182' post='2925725']
I have to be 100% honest and say that I've never knowingly listened to JP play!

I have a hard time with the whole jazz/fusion thing after listening to the guitarist Alan Holdsworth. Without doubt an incredibly gifted, talented player with amazing technique but to my ears he just doesn't play things I want to hear. I can appreciate Holdswoth's talent but not the tune.

I have a suspicion I would personally find the same to be true of JP
[/quote]

I listen to a lot of music I don't want to hear and I think that's where I learn the most.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1449687166' post='2926016']
Max Bennett plays bass on 'Song for Sharon'.
[/quote]

Yup, aware of that, got the CD here, but was just pointing out the wonderful bass work, seeing as the whole album was going to be listened too. It just happened to be another fretless track

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449686998' post='2926011']

Well, he doesn't seem to get 'opinion' unless it is his...and you'd better believe he knows best :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

I believe the OP said " aimless noodling ". Is that an opinion or a flippant critisizm?

Blue

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1449666241' post='2925728']
Personally my opinion is that Jaco would have been delighted with the thought that people were still discussing him almost 30 years after his death.

Love me....hate me....just [i]don't forget me.[/i]
[/quote]

I like that.

Blue