Why become a member? ×

its not . me its the others

bassjim

does any one else suffer from this constant anoyance.........

so we ( most of us anyway) strive for our own sonic perfection,be what it may, but there is a strong will to seek and find it. tone. good live tone. sometimes we even get close or perhaps ocassionaly ,due to room acoustics, get it perfect.

so why is it that the guitarist in my band constantly sounds SH*T.

he uses a trace elliot guitar combo with some sort of all in one sound processor for lead sounds.

his tone is wide open,tone pot turned up full screechy,often too loud,ear splitting and nasal.

when he solos using said processor it sounds like a bee in a jar with no definition of notes. its kinda like here comes the solo and start of bar one = fuzzy bee in a jar till the sudden moment when the sound is turned off. think penumatic drill. its on or its off. i think if we got a three year old in for solos using this same set up there would be no difference.

he tells me that no one in the audience can hear this and every one says it sounds great and if anything could be louder! Ive yet to meet these imaginary people.

last gig our keyboard player actually had a mid gig melt and told him to "for FU*KS sake turn it down.

I look out at the audience and can see them whincing at times. he insists this god awful tone also needs to go through the PA so "they can hear it at the back of the room". Ive have on a regular basis musos and gen public alike say to me "bands sounds great mate.your awsum. guitars a bit loud though. bit screechy. hurts your ears when he ect ect" and things like that.

In all my 30 years of semi pro gigging have I ever heard such an awful guitar tone. before you all rush to say "get rid of him" or find another band i would say he can actually play and is a good well learned musician its just the f***ing awful sound he gets. How would you fellow regular weekend warriors approach this potentially Spinal Tap strop of the year. Ive gone down the "have you tried those fender amps.they sound good" and "what do you think of such and such" and sounds really good when you turn the tone/top down but its not getting anywhere......

So he's been told to look at his tone and volume control a few times before and doesn't respect the views of his bandmates?

Get rid mate. There's tonnes of great guitarists out there that won't make you nervous every time you gig. Going out and gigging should be fun for everyone. How are you ok with the fact that your keys player has a meltdown in the middle of the gig shouting at the dude telling him to turn down?

It's not normal and it's not ok. This guy is ruining the fun for everyone and he needs to go.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1445693680' post='2893481']
I'm looking for a diplomatic approach before any of that childish nonsence starts
[/quote]

I don't think it's childish. You say you're semi-pro, but If you were fully pro he'd be out straight away. In fact, he wouldn't have got the gig in the first place. If the rest of the band agree with you then he really should go. It's a pain in the arse auditioning people, but in the end it would be well worth it and you'll wonder why you put up with him for so long.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1445694179' post='2893488']
Record it live then ask for fan input to critique it
[/quote]

This...sometimes you can't hear things in "real time" and need it played back before you can hear the problem...get him to listen to his tone, give him feedback as to how you think it could be improved and see what he says...if all else fails, follow the advice of those above and, if need be, replace him..

I've had a similar problem with one of my bandmates. He's been asked on many occasions to turn it down, which he does, then turns it back up again. Lovely guy, he really is. Not a ego maniac or anything like that, can play well, his "sound" is not the best (to my ears anyway). But he has certain habits which make him one of the most selfish musicians I've ever played with. I feel your pain.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1445700260' post='2893569']
Record it with a decent recorder facing the stage, then get him to listen to it. I have had success with this!
[/quote]I agree. Record it, then the rest of you sit him down and play it to him and ask him if he still thinks it's awesome and needs to be louder. If he still says yes, get rid.

I'll say this very carefully as one of the people concerned is a member here. I have recently joined a great band. Good tunes, nice blokes, regular gigs, etc. However, the departing bass player is leaving in January and, as I was auditioned and up to speed promptly, he has said that he would play rhythm guitar so I could start sooner. Fine, very generous and thank you.

We had a rehearsal this morning and neither guitarist was prepared to modify their sound so we had twice the guitar noise and the balance was way off, only my E and B string could be heard and the vocals were buried in the bottom of the mix. I have suggested that maybe I won't start until January after all. Guitarists.....grrr.

I left my last band party due to this. Our lead guitarist was fine, but then it was deemed we needed a second guitarist. Enter Singer's brother with his horrible pedals. Proceeded to crash all over everything and made every song in the set sound exactly the same.

Edited by seashell

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1445703729' post='2893603']
I agree. Record it, then the rest of you sit him down and play it to him and ask him if he still thinks it's awesome and needs to be louder. If he still says yes, get rid.
[/quote]

This. Definitely this. +1

A possible solution.

Guitar amps are more directional than bass amps and unless he has a decent amp stand his amp will be pointing at his knees. This means he will only be hearing the bass from his amp and not the screetchy high notes. He is probably eq'ing so it sounds good where he is standing and he is turning up so he can hear clearly when well off the axis of the speaker. Explain politely you think this may be happening and ask him to lean the amp back at rehearsals so his ears are in line with the speaker axis. If he balances the sound then it should sound better for everyone. Then he needs to get a stand so the speakers are pointing straight at his ears at gigs too.

I've used this tactic successfully more than once.

Edited by Phil Starr

thanks every one for your input. we have tried making suggestions such as positioning of his amp ect. im glad that what you have suggested collectivley is exactly what im thinking so i guess give him till xmas then im gonna have to risk a band fold by addressing it directly. at least i can say ive tried every thing!

A lot of people seem to think, just get rid of this guy, but it's not always that easy. Has anyone asked if this guy is maybe a mate as well as a band member? Maybe he owns the van that takes them to gigs or something. The op has stated that he doesn't want to go down this road, so obviously saying dump him, is not an option .