Why become a member? ×

'Get a haircut ya hippies!'

spectoremg

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1434239013' post='2797983']
Never! Let your freak flag fly as long as you can.
Look at Gandalf!
[/quote]

I've had long hair since I was 15. Every year I want to chop off the lot, particularly when the hot weather arrives, but I do feel like I owe it to someone. Powerful song, that.

That Yes clip was horrible though. Veering close to parody. They should beg Jon Anderson to come back.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1434233357' post='2797905']
Is there a point in a man's life where he should give up long hair?
[/quote]

More power to them. No comments these days can match the sh*t we got for having long hair back then.

Never give in.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1434247828' post='2798015']
I have official permission, from my wife, to keep my hair even if I go the full Terry Nutkins skullet. The other day she rather proudly pointed out that I was sitting on my hair. Which I wouldn't have minded if I'd have had pants on at the time...
[/quote]

You did say 'sitting' didn't you?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1434239013' post='2797983']
Never! Let your freak flag fly as long as you can.
[/quote]

We've played that one a few times now, 3 out of 5 of us in the band have long-ish hair, I think mine is currently the longest.

[attachment=194254:7414_1503092049938396_1195149992481501893_n.jpg]

My Mum used to say she would cut my hair to my skin in my sleep if I didn't get it cut. These days no hair on my head to cut. Maybe I should have listened to my Mum........
Only thing I would say is never, ever, never eVER put your hair in a pony tail, just don't do it you will look like a NOB!!! :ph34r:

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1434250233' post='2798017']
I have a musician friend who has just reached 65 and retired from a sensible job. He's now become the long haired,, bearded, hippie, freak. he's always wanted to be.
[/quote]

That's my plan without the beard tho. Always had long hair since 16 on leaving school. Waist length at its peak

Dave

I've never had super long hair, the longest it ever got as a teenager was just above the shoulders. Now I have male pattern baldness and think that boat has sailed. Mrs Ez detests beards, so I'll not be having one of those again. It's all a bit sad really, but when I step out of the shower with cleanly shaved face and number 1 on top, the level of faff I have to face is very low.

But with regard to the original question, I have two words - Lee Sklar.

Naah ! do what you like with the hair, but you should grow out of prog rock, by your 20s preferably

That from someone who got sacked from jobs and generally discriminated against because of my long hair and often beardy image in the 60s and 70s.

Now I'm retired, still with a good head of hair, its a lot shorter.

I had a mullet when i was 16. My dad lined me up an interview for a job with a huge printing company that may have set me up for life but I turned it down because the MD insisted i get my haircut (he was the double of captain peacock). My dad went bonkers and 6 months later I cut it all off anyway when I realised I looked like a berk!!

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1434276837' post='2798176']
I had a mullet when i was 16. My dad lined me up an interview for a job with a huge printing company that may have set me up for life but I turned it down because the MD insisted i get my haircut (he was the double of captain peacock). My dad went bonkers and 6 months later I cut it all off anyway when I realised I looked like a berk!!
[/quote]

Could have given you the job, then demanded that you wear a tie and get your haircut after you started. That happened to me more than once even though I didnt have a tie at the tinterviews. I don't do ties, not even at my wedding.

Slightly OT I know, but apart from long hair, when do you stop wearing jeans ?

I was flat broke, desperate, and went for a job at Wall's the ice cream company. The bloke behind the desk told me he wouldn't give me a job unless I cut my hair. Apparently I wasn't hygienic with long hair. I thought he was going to hit me when I asked if the women were as unhygienic.

The landlord in a pub in Mayfair refused to serve me because of my hair; "You come into my establishment, in Mayfair, and expect to be served....!" .

We were treated very badly. You kids can wear just about any fashion you like today because of us [i]pioneers[/i].

There's been rule-breaking and outlandish fashion trends throughout history.

The post war decades of the 50s 60s and 70s were particularly austere, disapproving and grumpy.
Perhaps justifiably so, but it wasn't comfortable if you fancied having long hair.