Why become a member? ×

Yamaha best bass on the market

What is recognised as the best Yamaha bass you can buy ? It can be either new or old, but must be a model that was, or can still be bought either new or second hand..... ( no 'one offs' or Frankenstein basses.) I have a BB2024, which is rated pretty well by most of the reviews I have read, but is it the best ? Just curious as there are some real beauties out there, both old and new, but given the choice, which one would you go for....

I suspect that personal taste will come in to play when it comes to that decision! My personal tastes had me very impressed with the Nathan East BBNE2 model.

Attitude limited 3. Just shy of £2,500.00 at GAK.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-attitude-limited-3/44568?gclid=CPDDkfvussUCFQgOwwodx00A2Q"]http://www.gak.co.uk...CFQgOwwodx00A2Q[/url]

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1431122480' post='2768113']
Another vote here for the TRB5pii. Also shouldn't have sold it. Damn, damn, damn & bollox.
[/quote]

https://instagram.com/p/2HMuKWuQT0/

Had it 1 week, still not been used in anger yet.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1431113023' post='2768000']
Attitude limited 3. Just shy of £2,500.00 at GAK.

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-attitude-limited-3/44568?gclid=CPDDkfvussUCFQgOwwodx00A2Q"]http://www.gak.co.uk...CFQgOwwodx00A2Q[/url]
[/quote]

I had one. The neck was enormous. Far bigger than the Attitude 1 I had before.

And it weighed 12 lb.

Sounded amazing though.

Best bass I've had in a number of years is the BB425 that I am currently using. I've also always wanted to try a BB5000 and a BBNE2

I suppose like anything the best one is the one that gives you the most in terms of playability, sound and looks so it'll probably be different for everyone.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1431132777' post='2768194']
I like the BB series - had a BB1100s many years ag, was my first "proper" bass, and it was great, very good quality build, incredibly versatile, and a great workhorse bass as well.
[/quote]

+1 - had one as my main bass for 6/7 years. Have had a BBN5 as well, and still have a TRB - as others have said, well made kit that sounds great :).

You really can't go wrong with it.

I have a Mk1 TRB5 that's absolutely terrific once you understand the pre-amp. I also have a fretless BBG5 with RBX375 pickups - amazing sound for an inexpensive instrument. And I had a BB415 fitted with a John East U-retro that was an absolute tone monster.

I like Yamahas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

G.

TRB5PII has always been the flagship model. Possibly run close by the NE2. I had the TRB4II. Such a slept on range of basses, it was phenomenal.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1431210078' post='2768905']
I'm not sure they actually made a 'bad' bass?
[/quote]

I'm thinking that as well. Had my BB425 been made by Fender then it would probably be branded a Squier of some description. I like the fact that everything made by Yamaha is branded a Yamaha. It goes to show that from the bottom to the top of the range they obviously stand by everything they make and that's why we haven't seen a "XXXX by Yamaha" range

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1431210078' post='2768905']
I'm not sure they actually made a 'bad' bass?
[/quote]I'm convinced that they don't make a bad instrument of any type; their guitars are all very good for their price point, just like the basses.

Edited by ezbass

It's such a shame that so many people, bass players included, have no idea how good Yamaha bass guitars are. So many times comments like 'oh, it's a Yamaha'........or ' That looks Alright' are the best you can expect, even though they sound great, look fabulous, and can cost well over £2000. However, if you have an entry level Fender for example,that feels like you are playing something that fell off a tractor, people's reactions are so different.... ' Wow, it's a Fender' or ' Best bass in the world' are what you expect...and get... from people. Fender, without doubt, make some of the most wonderful instruments, but just because it has the 'F' word on the headstock, in no way reflects whether it is a good bass or not. It's just a presumption people make with Fender, and the reverse of that with Yamaha. My BB2024 will completely urinate over most Fenders, yet because it has Yamaha on the headstock, it's a case of, 'ah well, one day you might get a real bass.' There is no way I would swap this for a Fender, unless it really was something a bit special. I would much sooner put up with people's 'never mind' comments, and live with my Yamaha, than have something of lesser quality just for the sake of a few admiring glances, one or two slaps on the back, and the right word on the pointy... Having said all that, I would still love to own a good Fender P, simply because they do look very nice, and a good one sounds awesome...