Why become a member? ×

Yamaha best bass on the market

The John Patitucci model is really excellent, but I prefer the through-necked TRB6P. I used to own a very early one in red, bought off a guy on here, and now owned by Kevin Glasgow.

I just prefer thru-necked instruments.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1431218243' post='2768974']
I'm thinking that as well. Had my BB425 been made by Fender then it would probably be branded a Squier of some description. I like the fact that everything made by Yamaha is branded a Yamaha. It goes to show that from the bottom to the top of the range they obviously stand by everything they make and that's why we haven't seen a "XXXX by Yamaha" range
[/quote]

I haven't tried one yet. I like that you can buy a good Japanese guitar and not try to hide the fact that it is Japanese by slapping the F word on it.

Well... it's only natural that i post on this thread isn't it? ;)

I've tried and/or owned a very big amount of brands available on the market. My TRB5PII came to stay in 2000, i've never played a bass that came close (tonewise) to instantly reproduce the "tone in my head" straight up flat, i mean really flat: bass EQ, amp and mixer FLAT!!! just change from P to slap to J with the pan pot and right hand placement. It's true that it's heavy, big neck (35" scale) and flat fretboard but those are all things that i prefer on a bass, except the weight. the sound is just mostruous and every musician that played with me came to apreciate the sound quality of it.
On big outdoor gigs with hired PA crew soundman do my sound check in less than a minute, once they open my channel and hear a few notes they say "next please, no need to change a thing in this one" ;)

Going on topic, the best model Yamaha has made for my personal taste is the 5PII but i owned a lot of Yammys from various models and still own a TRB5P and a BB1000S and i've never heard a Yamaha bass sounding bad that wasn't broken or in need of repair :D

QC and attention to detail on the build is flawless even on the non-Japanese builds, prices are the best you can find for the quality.

the only problem with Yamaha is that people (musicians) are starting to pay more attention to them so it's becomming harder to find used Yammys at bargain prices. Mods, please delete this entire thread, i'm still looking to get my hands on a white BBNE2 for a low price... :ph34r: just to add it to my MIJ neckthrough collection:

I can certainly agree about the quality, I bought a 1980s bb1100s lefty in 1996, it had been gathering dust in Electro music in Doncaster and I paid £190 for it. It was my only bass for about 10 years . It has been reliable and as versatile sound wise as any bass I have ever played. I wouldn't part with it for anything not just for the fact that it would be worth nothing, its a fantastic instrument punching well above its weight, and it has loads of nostalgic value for me. I met Billy Sheehan at a clinic and being the nice guy that he is he was more interested in asking about me than talking about his self. When he asked what basses I played, his face lit up when I told him bb1100s, he said he still possessed one and had nothing but praise for it. I would choose it over a Precision or Jazz anyday.

Edited by leftyyorky

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496016449' post='3308159']
Yamaha makes great basses. I've always wondered why they don't have a larger market share.

Blue
[/quote]

I would hazard a guess that Yamaha probably lead the world in sales of bass guitars

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1496095637' post='3308807']

I would hazard a guess that Yamaha probably lead the world in sales of bass guitars
[/quote]

It's a rather generic body style, I've probably seen more guys playing them than I realized.

Blue