Why become a member? ×

would a bad drummer make you quit a band? I just did :-(

mrtcat

[quote name='Hugh971' timestamp='1417538239' post='2621503']
I'm not sure what I'd say was my reason for leaving though.
[/quote]

Just say you're not really looking for a long distance relationship, clearly you live in a different time zone ;)

Edited by neepheid

Without a doubt.

As a (recovering) drummer, it's the thing I notice most. A few years ago, I had to issue a diva-esque 'if he stays, I go' ultimatum as the drummer was a really nice guy, but the worst drummer I've ever heard in public.

As 50% of the rhythm section, we have to be a unit and lock in. If that doesn't happen, game over. Like a house with no foundations.

The drummer is probably the most important member of a band IMHO. If he isnt very good nor will the band be. Many great bands have great drummers behind them. I find having a decent drummer makes songs easier to play and can inspire other members. A bad drummer will certainly not improve you as a player or indeed improve the track you are playing so for me i would leave the band or get another drummer.

That's a bad problem to have and I don't think I could live with it. Our drummer keeps time great but when he has a few, he gets excited and plays some of the songs a lot faster than when we rehearse them, which can be annoying when you develop cramp in your fingers through playing too fast!

I have left a band because of a drummer, I've also joined a band who I wasn't keen on because I enjoyed playing with their drummer so much. I can put up with plenty but
I can't play with a bad drummer. Those buggers are just so crucial to a good band, can't live with 'em etc etc :rolleyes:

I'd even go as far as say not only does a drummer have to be tight there also has to be that chemistry between the bass player and drummer as the two often work within a boundary that the other band members just don't get ?

If its not there, your talking to yourself ;)

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1417545695' post='2621582']
I'd even go as far as say not only does a drummer have to be tight there also has to be that chemistry between the bass player and drummer as the two often work within a boundary that the other band members just don't get ?

If its not there, your talking to yourself ;)
[/quote]

Excellent post. A point of view I thoroughly subscribe to.

If you're fighting with the drummer it's never going to work.

Even the punters know he's a rubbish drummer, thus not an easy one to 'fix'. Unless you're desparate to be in the band for the company or the money, you're better off putting your energy into something else. I was asked to join a band once and went to see them first. Although the drummer played in time, he had an anoying 'double' roll thing going on his snare, which stopped me from joining.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1417522615' post='2621249']
....he plays fills when we are gigging that he has never played before....
And they're usually quite fancy syncopations, that throw me off when i'm not expecting them....
[/quote]

But, this is your problem, not his.

You need to improve your timing and focus.

I'm not interested in making a list of great drummers, but there are 2 drummers who changed the way that drums were played. The first no one knows, and the second nobody thinks he influenced them. Earl Palmer and Ringo Star.

Back on topic!

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1417513175' post='2621049']
Basically I'm in two bands. One is great, does functions and is really musical. All members are experienced players and the drummer is incredibly good. The other is ok doing pub rock and fills the gaps in my calendar nicely, all the members are really nice people and I like their company. The big problem I have is that the drummer in my second band simply can't keep time. He is all over the shop and can go up or down by a good 15bpm in a song. The singer and guitarist are both really decent but whilst aware of drummers speed issues they don't seem bothered. We've even had punters shout out that the drummer is all over the place. Don't get me wrong, his style and fills are fine but he's just got no internal metronome.
I've raised it really tactfully a few times but his standard response is "in an interview dave grohl says it's natural to speed up a bit". It's driving me nuts and as a bass player it ruins the playing for me and is quite embarrassing.
Is this something he can improve on? If so should I just lay my cards on the table and hope he works on it? If not I can only see it ending one way.
What would you do?
[/quote]

I could not play with a bad drummer... it'll kill it for me

A crap drummer is just NO FUN. To lock in with a good drummer is one of life's great pleasures. To have to fight against a player who has not a clue about groove or feel or taste is just hell - it's ten times harder to keep everything together, and it STILL sounds like crap!

And the worst of it is, the buggers don't realise they're doing it - but know [i]something's [/i]wrong and will blame everyone else!

The same goes for other musicians, too... I've quit over a 'percussionist', vocalist, keyboard player, guitarist...
...er...a trumpet player, saxophonist, 'backing singers'... you name it, basically. :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

Yes, absolutely, a bad drummer would make me quit my band. Nothing worse IMO than a timekeeper who can't keep time, can't play quietly when required and can't/won't learn their parts properly. Speaking from bitter experience I'm afraid - come the new year I'm done and moving on. :mellow: