Why become a member? ×

would a bad drummer make you quit a band? I just did :-(

mrtcat

Definitely mate. I can seem a decent player only when I'm playing with a good drummer. One of the bands in has a drummer that plays things differently every rehearsal, nightmare. Guess my situation is similar, thankfully we aren't just in one band eh? That would force me to bail out.
When the drummer is one of the band patriarchs you really are stuffed.
Martin

Edited by The fasting showman

Address the problem with the drummer = you might get it sorted.

If it makes no difference, address it with the band = they might sack him.

If they don't and you can't stand it, leave

I've left bands in the past due to drummers banging about in between numbers at rehearsals. Life's too short.

I would attempt to resolve the issue, especially if you like everyone in the band and you all get on. However if I couldn't get it sorted out then I'd walk. If the drummer can't keep time then you have a real problem. It is natural to speed up a *bit* when playing, but it shouldn't be happening all the time and he should certainly be able to reign it in when required.

I think it would be most tactful to present it to the band as a "band problem" rather than a drummer problem. It never ends particularly well when you single people out, even if it is their fault!

The problem i have with our drummer isn't his timing. Hes pretty spot on to be fair.
My gripe is that he plays fills when we are gigging that he has never played before.
And they're usually quite fancy syncopations, that throw me off when i'm not expecting them.
Thats when i start giving him the death stare.
I wouldnt mind how offbeat his rudiments were, aslong as he did them in practice so i at least have an idea whats coming up!

In my last band, the two drummers that we had were both guilty of being generous with their timing, both on stage and in the recording studio. The thing I found frustrating about it is that I found myself being the rhythm "anchor", in that I had to massively simplify my bass lines while the drummer went off and added intricacy to his drum lines. As per the post above, it largely had the result of making me sound a bit crap, as I'd spend most of my time playing behind the beat in order to slow everybody back down again!

The attitude of the band was that the change in tempo was part of the "energy" of the song. Towards the end I started to enjoy gigs less and less because I knew it would always be a fighting battle to sound good while keeping the rhythm in check.

If you're gigging and earning money then so what?

I regularly dep for a band with a terrible singer and I really don't look forward to the gigs but it's money innit? Maintain your professional pride with the other band and just deal with the second one.

Truckstop

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1417522615' post='2621249']
The problem i have with our drummer isn't his timing. Hes pretty spot on to be fair.
My gripe is that he plays fills when we are gigging that he has never played before.
And they're usually quite fancy syncopations, that throw me off when i'm not expecting them.
Thats when i start giving him the death stare.
I wouldnt mind how offbeat his rudiments were, aslong as he did them in practice so i at least have an idea whats coming up!
[/quote]

This. I've played with drummers (and guitarists too, if we're honest) who have spent ALL their time since the last rehearsal on a particular fill or riff. Surprise surprise, it pops up in every song until they get it right.

Sigh.

Without question, yes. This happened to me and it was a real shame as the rest of the band wernt bad and it was the first thing I'd done in ages. I tried working with him, even getting both of us getting to rehearsals early to work on stuff, but in the end I walked. We were going on stage and I had no confidence in what he was doing. I stopped enjoying myself and at that point I go.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1417522615' post='2621249']
our drummer ...plays fills when we are gigging that he has never played before.
[/quote]

Oh god yes! Our last drummer did that all the time, and he would always come back in a fraction of a second behind the beat - leaving the band sounding bad and losing our groove. Deeply unprofessional and very frustrating! :angry:

Our drummer is pretty good. Occasionally speeds up a bit when over-excited, but then we all speed up with him at the same rate! :o At least it sounds consistent. He is also brilliant at remembering the structure of songs and I take loads of cues from him.

I have found during my recent forays into jamming with other drummers that they aren't all so consistent! The ones that really throw you are those that can't come back in on time after a fill - I find myself having to look at them rather than listen just to get a clue as to when they are going to come back in with the beat. I don't think I could put up with a drummer like that for very long.

Easier said than done though, isn't it? It must be difficult if you're friends. And really good drummers are hard to find, as we all know.

Definately, for me the drummer is the most important member of the band.

We had a drummer that liked to throw in random fills in the most weirdiest places and it would throw us all and make us question where we were in the song. So we politely asked him to leave.

I couldnt join a band with a bad drummer

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417517619' post='2621145']
Everyone has to play in time and in the groove, especially the drummer.

Timing can vary, by a couple of bpm at most, but + or -15 bpm is very poor drumming and if the guy thinks that is OK and the excuse is Dave Grohl said so I'd call him out.

There no point in leaving unless you can't fire the drummer. He's the one who should be going not you.
[/quote]

But if the rest of the band think he is ok enough.... then that in itself splits the band.
I left for that very reason.. We had a world class player in the chair prior to a change of drummer
which is hard/impossible for anyone to follow at certain levels, but you have to make a stand. What I can't believe is
what people can't hear that is wrong..!!!

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1417514372' post='2621077']
Isn't the whole point of the drummer to keep the timing? If he can't do it then he's no asset to the band.

yes, I've quit over drummers like that.

[/quote]
Me too. And drummers with no volume control.

It depends. If the band is for having fun down the local & you get on well with the drummer, help him.
Why is he not good at timing?
Get the band to practicee with a metronome to tighten up your sound. Work on just a couple of songs for an entire sesh until they're spot on.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1417528720' post='2621363']
It depends. If the band is for having fun down the local & you get on well with the drummer, help him.
Why is he not good at timing?
Get the band to practicee with a metronome to tighten up your sound. Work on just a couple of songs for an entire sesh until they're spot on.
[/quote]

But that is too much work for a fundemental skill, IMO... sometimes rehearsals themselves are at a premium so
to spend this on a weak link seems a waste.
I wouldn't be keen, I'd rather put the time in elsewhere ...
Some players lag because they are flagging..so pacing the set might help but they might just not be fit enough for the job.
I think any drummer that isn't match fit and lacks time..let along groove, isn't putting the time in.

I think it was Mark King that said 'a good drummer can make an average band sound good, but a bad drummer will make a good band sound average'.

We all thrive on locking in with a good drummer wingman, staying in the band all depends on how much you want the paycheque.

Edited by Drax

Bad drummer=bad band!!
We occasionally have to get our guitarists step dad in and he's a nightmare. Absolutely awesome drummer on his own but no sense of timing or sensitivity to the song, get to the guitar solo and he sounds like he's on brushes, get to the verse and it's lets see how many cymbals we can hit per bar!! Thing is, the guitard and the singer (now the guitards wife) know it but sometimes there are gigs near where he lives up North that they feel obliged to get him in for. I told them they can feel obliged to get a bass dep when he's playing! All in good humour but soul destroying when he's playing!

On this "nurture vs. get rid" argument, there have been a couple of occasions where me and my long term drummer have not quite got things together for whatever reason at band rehearsal - usually one sticking point in a particular song, so we've met up separately from the rest of the band and basically gone through together whatever is bugging us until we get it right. "Homework" we call it ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1417530111' post='2621391']
But that is too much work for a fundemental skill, IMO... sometimes rehearsals themselves are at a premium so
to spend this on a weak link seems a waste.
I wouldn't be keen, I'd rather put the time in elsewhere ...
Some players lag because they are flagging..so pacing the set might help but they might just not be fit enough for the job.
I think any drummer that isn't match fit and lacks time..let along groove, isn't putting the time in.
[/quote]
It depends on how long he's been playing. If there's potential for him to become a good drummer & is already a good band member, then why not work with him.
If he's been playing for yonks & isn't improving any, then I wouldn't stay.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1417532357' post='2621425']
It depends on how long he's been playing. If there's potential for him to become a good drummer & is already a good band member, then why not work with him.
If he's been playing for yonks & isn't improving any, then I wouldn't stay.
[/quote]

I don't know how long they've been playing..all I know is what they deliver when on the gig.
I don't arrived unprepared and if I did, I couldn't complain if I lost a gig...
so the same applies. There are drummers around that deliver more, so it is not a case of making do.
I get that having someone available, keen and willing to put in the time is worth a lot, but he can come back
when he is upto it..

Edited by JTUK