Why become a member? ×

would a bad drummer make you quit a band? I just did :-(

mrtcat

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1417643844' post='2622680']
OP, how on earth did you end up in a band with a bad drummer ?
[/quote]

When I went to audition they wanted to do five songs and I can now see the drummer picked them as they're the five he plays best.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1417645239' post='2622722']
When I went to audition they wanted to do five songs and I can now see the drummer picked them as they're the five he plays best.
[/quote]

Ahh subterfuge. :unsure: You have my sympathy. The answer to your original question is yes, I'd leave.

Drummers are always going to be problematic, as bass players we can't escape it. I play with a smokin drummer and even he is not perfect, neither am I.

The only reason I would quit a band would be, no $$$$$.

Blue

[size=4][color=#0000FF][font=Arial][color=#000000][b]Bass Guitars [/b][/color][/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Bass[/color][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson ES-335 Custom Shop Bass[/color][/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][color=#000000]Gibson 1991 Thunderbird Bass[/color][/font][/color][/size] w/ebony fret board
[size=4][font=Arial]Fender 1951 Telecaster Bass Re-issue *MIJ (Dressing Room Bass)[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial]Fender 1959 Telecaster Bass Re-Issue MIJ[/font] (Rehearsal Bass)[/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff][color=#000000][font=Arial]G & L 1991 ASAT Bass (active pre-amp )[/font][/color][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#0000ff][font=Arial][color=#000000]German Made Hofner 502 Limited Edition Club Bass[/color][/font][/color][/size]

Edited by blue

I once played in a covers band, who were all really nice guys
The drummer was a great bloke, really friendly and easy to get on with
He could keep time OK, when he played simple stuff,
but he often tried to over elaborate....

Sometimes it came off, but mostly, he ended up out of time
The drummer and bass player are, as others have said, the engine room of the band

What made it worse, was that I was also playing in a tribute band
with a really amazing drummer (who I've continued to work with, in a couple of subsequent bands)
And when you play in a band with a great drummer, and another band with a bad drummer
You really notice the difference

The bad timekeeper said that he knew he went out of time when he elaborated
but said he got bored playing a simple pattern...

Although it can be difficult to part company with great guys
I just had to go in the end....

Time is too precious to waste on incompetent players. We dealt with those guys growing up. If I'm playing in a band I have to work with guys of equal abilities. I teach music by day and don't want to lecture/nurture players when I'm trying to relax and enjoy a gig or rehearsal. If they can't play they don't get the seat. On a recent set of auditions we had a couple of drummers who screwed the pooch within 30secs of playing, one who put his head down and just hit everything for 5 mins without listening to us and one who wasn't gonna get the job even if he'd been steve gadd cos he walked in said he hadn't prepped but that our music was pretty simplistic in the most arrogant tone. Incidentally he could play the simplest grooves we gave him.
I have left bands if I can't work with the drummer. sh*t drummers seem to secretly know they are sh*t which is why they then seem to work harder at being the band fixer. One was bloody awful but pulled the cancer card on everyone. I could play better than him..... That's not good. The other never listened to anyone's opinions and wouldn't listen to me about timing and groove cos I was younger than his sons. The last guy was a good drummer once but by the time I left with the guitarist he was pulling fills in every bar. I counted in excess of 100 cymbal splashes in money for nothing!! It was hard cos he was a friend. We didn't talk for a long time but we have a common ground in bikes so we speak more often now but I won't be stepping on stage anytime soon.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1417515331' post='2621095']I don't think I'd stick it long. The drummer and I are supposed to be partners in rhythm and the engine room of the band. If we're not singing from the same sheet for any reason, it's going to sound crap, and I'd want no part in that.[/quote]

This! I've played with drummers who have wandering timing and it's annoying but not as bad as the drummer who comes in half a beat out after and and every fill. You get to the point where you're doubting yourself!

Have this with one drummer who comes along to a jam session we have monthly - it's a random collective with no purpose than being relaxed fun. After a very short while the rest of us compensate for it and we're back in time. Had a new guy along last time who didn't know many of the songs we did but kept great time. Weird choices occasionally but always in time.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1417692726' post='2623062']
So you're saying that it s OK to have a dodgy singer i.e. the person that is the focus of your audience.
There's definitely something wrong with that.
[/quote]

No, he's not saying that its OK.

Getting your wallet stolen is better than being stabbed, but I'd rather not do either ;)

Had drummers that slowed down very slightly on occasion but rest of the band would normally adapt however this was only a very slight speed change.
At practice i've had drummers play a song a bit too slow or fast all the way through and we would stop, correct it and that was usually the end of it.
None of these would have been picked up by an audience unless musicians.
I have played with drummers that just click right away and its a great feeling when both drums and bass are syncopated enough to know where the other might go especially when writing own material.
Not sure if i would walk from an otherwise pleasant experience and might try suggestion of metro of some kind to help.
Think you'll find that Dave Grohl may have slowed down very slightly on occasion but not to extent it would be noticeable to an audience.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='Jonesthebass' timestamp='1417688411' post='2622995']
Time is too precious to waste on incompetent players. We dealt with those guys growing up. If I'm playing in a band I have to work with guys of equal abilities. I teach music by day and don't want to lecture/nurture players when I'm trying to relax and enjoy a gig or rehearsal. If they can't play they don't get the seat. On a recent set of auditions we had a couple of drummers who screwed the pooch within 30secs of playing, one who put his head down and just hit everything for 5 mins without listening to us and one who wasn't gonna get the job even if he'd been steve gadd cos he walked in said he hadn't prepped but that our music was pretty simplistic in the most arrogant tone. Incidentally he could play the simplest grooves we gave him.
I have left bands if I can't work with the drummer. sh*t drummers seem to secretly know they are sh*t which is why they then seem to work harder at being the band fixer. One was bloody awful but pulled the cancer card on everyone. I could play better than him..... That's not good. The other never listened to anyone's opinions and wouldn't listen to me about timing and groove cos I was younger than his sons. The last guy was a good drummer once but by the time I left with the guitarist he was pulling fills in every bar. I counted in excess of 100 cymbal splashes in money for nothing!! It was hard cos he was a friend. We didn't talk for a long time but we have a common ground in bikes so we speak more often now but I won't be stepping on stage anytime soon.
[/quote]

Playing with people like this can easily make you bitter if you let it.

My advice would be to go for some auditions and watch some bands in pubs. You don't have to accept the gigs if offered but there's no problem with paying in several bands.

What you will get a taste for is whether the drummer is that bad or whether you need to run away very quickly before you become bitter.

It's what I did and ended up playing with several bands and in the end the descision to walk away from the first band was not a hard one to take.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1417692590' post='2623061']
Why dodgy anyone..???
I'd no more play with a dodgy gtr, or singer than anyone else...
[/quote]

+1 Quite, though it's easier said than done sometimes. How high does one aim? And do you end up doing nothing because no-one is up to your standard? I confess I've sometimes held out for ages rather than play with, er...[i] the unworthy[/i]. But sometimes I think you do have to make a compromise somewhere, just to get out there and play.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1417692726' post='2623062']
So you're saying that it s OK to have a dodgy singer i.e. the person that is the focus of your audience.
There's definitely something wrong with that.
[/quote]

Kevin Ayers
Bob Dylan
Steve Harley
Tom Waits

This could be a LONG list.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1417703835' post='2623237']
Kevin Ayers
Bob Dylan
Steve Harley
Tom Waits

This could be a LONG list.
[/quote]Dodgy singers can add character to a bands sound, dodgy drummers, or bass players or guitarists don't, as with anything it's how dodgy that's the vital ingredient here, our drummer speeds up a bit but I can easily live with that, in fact
I don't notice, when listening to a recording of a gig it's my partner that will say "you speeded up there". I have played with drummers that slow down, that is irritating.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417566836' post='2621938']
I'm not interested in making a list of great drummers, but there are 2 drummers who changed the way that drums were played. The first no one knows, and the second nobody thinks he influenced them. Earl Palmer and Ringo Star.

Back on topic!
[/quote]
You see and hear the same thing as me <_< because I always thought that Ringo got his great small tom and snare fills from Earl.
Love that style/sound.

My band had a new drummer join us about six weeks ago.

Decent guy, fits in well with the rest of the band and is as good a drummer as the rest of us are on our own instruments.
I was a bit concerned at the first couple of rehearsals that he seemed to slow down quite a bit as a song progressed.
Seems he hadn't played for some years and it was just a case of being unfit.
Its no longer a problem as he has obviously been practicing and getting back in to shape.

I know that's not the point of the OP, which is more about drummers who will probably never be able to keep time, but it may be relevant in some cases as a lot of drummers never seem to practice between rehearsals or gigs.
I can play drums a wee bit, nothing fancy you understand, and I know it can be quite physically demanding.

Perhaps the OP's drummer situation is partly down to fitness.

Or maybe not.......... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1417701727' post='2623192']
+1 Quite, though it's easier said than done sometimes. How high does one aim? And do you end up doing nothing because no-one is up to your standard? I confess I've sometimes held out for ages rather than play with, er...[i] the unworthy[/i]. But sometimes I think you do have to make a compromise somewhere, just to get out there and play.
[/quote]

I agree...especially when you are talking about £50 pub gig but then again some very good players will do it
if they WANT to... so that means you have to be a good gig and you aren't even likely to know them unless
you know and gig with the same guys or in circle that they do.
There are echelons, for good or bad, like it or not.

I don't do compromise.

I insist on playing with drummers who are better / more experienced / more talented than me.

Strangely enough, I'm not trying to be funny. I genuinely believe that I'll only improve as a bass player if I face the challenge of not embarrassing myself in front of the other half of the rhythm section.

It always amazes me how hard it is to find decent drummers. To be honest, if I could find a drummer that could keep time, play some basic patterns well and hit a cymbal occasionally when the song goes from the verse to bridge I'd be happy, even if they never played a fill in their life. My theory is that a lot of drummers spend their time thrashing out big rolls round the kit without actually practicing basic rhythms and limb independence. But maybe my expectations have been driven to unreasonable levels from listening to Sly Dunbar a lot while I was learning bass :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1417711601' post='2623368']
I don't do compromise.

I insist on playing with drummers who are better / more experienced / more talented than me.

Strangely enough, I'm not trying to be funny. I genuinely believe that I'll only improve as a bass player if I face the challenge of not embarrassing myself in front of the other half of the rhythm section.
[/quote]so you expect drummers to play with an inferior bass player so they can improve but not the other way round?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1417711601' post='2623368']
I don't do compromise.

[/quote]

^^^^^
THIS!!

Our new full time drummer has pulled my playing together no end! Solid, excellent timekeeping and a nice bloke too!