Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Sarah5string

What are you listening to right now?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, bigjohn said:

 

Very cool! I'd never heard this before. I used to run into Nils (and his wife Amy, IIRC) when he wasn't touring at a place in south Scottsdale called Los Sombreros (we called it The Hat) on Wednesdays at opening time. He was always pretty quiet; Amy did all of the talking. She even talked Nils into gifting me a couple of DVDs of solo shows he'd done. Still have them!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am listening to this. My band recorded a version recently and I'm ashamed to say I was horribly out of the pocket. So I've promised to do it again, but I want to immerse myself in it so it's on heavy rotation. Must be a good tune though because I'm not sick of hearing it

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheMaartian said:

Very cool! I'd never heard this before. I used to run into Nils (and his wife Amy, IIRC) when he wasn't touring at a place in south Scottsdale called Los Sombreros (we called it The Hat) on Wednesdays at opening time. He was always pretty quiet; Amy did all of the talking. She even talked Nils into gifting me a couple of DVDs of solo shows he'd done. Still have them!

Cool :) Nils is one of those musicians I got brought up on. I'd love to have met him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I didn’t really get Placebo at first but then rediscovered them a few years later and they are now one of my favourite bands,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Cool :) Nils is one of those musicians I got brought up on. I'd love to have met him. 

I loved Nils from his first solo album onwards. ‘ Keith don’t go ‘is a great song, remember seeing him in the OGWT clip highlighted.. He did an acoustic tour in the 90’s and came to a small club not far from us. Wonderful gig, and we managed to chat to him afterwards and get some cd’s signed. Also enjoy his playing in the E Street Band, and love the fact that when Steve Van Zandt returned to the fold, Bruce didn’t want to let Nils go so he kept him on with Steve too. Nils is also a very talented pianist as well as having a superb voice and his guitar playing is instantly recognisable. 

Edited by casapete
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found that an old fave of mine have released a full live play through of their biggest album.   Extreme - Pornograffitti Live 25.

Probably sound better live now than when I saw them in the early 90's touring III Sides...   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, casapete said:

I loved Nils from his first solo album onwards. ‘ Keith don’t go ‘is a great song, remember seeing him in the OGWT clip highlighted.. He did an acoustic tour in the 90’s and came to a small club not far from us. Wonderful gig, and we managed to chat to him afterwards and get some cd’s signed. Also enjoy his playing in the E Street Band, and love the fact that when Steve Van Zandt returned to the fold, Bruce didn’t want to let Nils go so he kept him on with Steve too. Nils is also a very talented pianist as well as having a superb voice and his guitar playing is instantly recognisable. 

The story I read about Nils’ piano playing, I can’t remember where. He reckoned he couldn’t play the piano. Never had done before until Neil Young forced him into it, I think when they were recording After the Goldrush by reminding him could play the accordion 😎

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, bigjohn said:

The story I read about Nils’ piano playing, I can’t remember where. He reckoned he couldn’t play the piano. Never had done before until Neil Young forced him into it, I think when they were recording After the Goldrush by reminding him could play the accordion 😎

Think he's being a trifle modest - I've seen him play piano on all his gigs I've been to over the last 40 odd years, and whilst he's no virtuoso he can certainly play what's needed. 'The sun hasn't set on this boy yet' and especially 'Goin back' are wonderful.

 

Edited by casapete
Video link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night, I was the happy recipient of nine finals and roughs from sessions I did with my band pre-lockdown and beyond.  Given the disjointed nature of being a studio band, I have little or no memory of recording many of these.

This morning is all about Lutz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re. Nils Lofgren, didn't he used to enter the stage via a trampoline, or some such?! David Lee Roth eat your heart out.

Anyway... over the years I've come to realise that Herbie Hancock is one of my favourite artists. From his work with Miles Davis, to his 60s soundtracks, his merging of jazz and funk on Fat Albert Rotunda, his funky Headhunters period leading into the pure pop of I Thought It Was You and into his electro-themed Future Shock album, his output has been phenomenal - I'd argue unsurpassed by any other jazz musician. His recent projects aren't too shabby either.

I hadn't realised until recently that I own more of his records than any other artist, with the exception of Mr Bowie!

This is from his 1974 'Thrust' album and features the most wonderful Paul Jackson on bass.

For me it's perfect for a calm summer day..!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Re. Nils Lofgren, didn't he used to enter the stage via a trampoline, or some such?! David Lee Roth eat your heart out.

He did! Actually used a small trampoline during his set, whilst playing guitar too. Think it was a bit of a gimmick TBH, bit of theatrics etc. He partly blames this and doing flips as well for recently having both hips replaced!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, casapete said:

Think he's being a trifle modest - I've seen him play piano on all his gigs I've been to over the last 40 odd years, and whilst he's no virtuoso he can certainly play what's needed. 'The sun hasn't set on this boy yet' and especially 'Goin back' are wonderful.

Yeah, he’s great...

Here’s the interview I half remembered.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Squeeze - Argybargy

Great album, the one that got me into Squeeze.

14 hours ago, T-Bay said:


I didn’t really get Placebo at first but then rediscovered them a few years later and they are now one of my favourite bands,

I've always liked Placebo and was lucky enough to see them live in Mannheim in about 2002. They were great 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strangers in the Night by UFO..one of the best live albums..ever..full.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, casapete said:

He did! Actually used a small trampoline during his set, whilst playing guitar too. Think it was a bit of a gimmick TBH, bit of theatrics etc. He partly blames this and doing flips as well for recently having both hips replaced!

Excellent! Would love to have seen his medical claim form!

A mate of mine was a big fan - he told me about the trampoline thing after seeing him at Brum Odeon in the 70s.

Did he do Cry Tough on the OGWT, or am I imagining things in my old(er) age?

think I need to have a listen to some of his stuff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dov65 said:

Strangers in the Night by UFO..one of the best live albums..ever..full.

One of the best?  No.  It is the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pigface said:

 

I've always liked Placebo and was lucky enough to see them live in Mannheim in about 2002. They were great 🙂

One of my favourite live bands, I last saw in Manchester a couple of weeks before it was blown up. Then had tickets for Wolverhampton but sadly that was cancelled as Brian’s health wasn’t that great. Hoping they will be touring again soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...