Why become a member? ×

I don't like watching gigs

Dave Vader

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1395847063' post='2407078']
The answer is not to bother going to see bands who are past-it playing in venues that are far too big.

Expecting excitement and energy from artists that haven't produced anything relevant or exciting in decades and who are still living off past glories is never going to go well. Go and see some young, up and coming bands instead, or at the very least artists who are still producing [i]new[/i] material which is worth listening to!
[/quote]

A statement that all of us ought to be living by.

Looking back at past experience, I think the live performances I've enjoyed most have been Isaac Guillory(R.I.P) and Jon Gomm, in tiny pub backrooms like the Grove in Leeds - I've seen higher profile artists in bigger venues (sometimes playing badly, sometimes playing terrific) but there are often issues with bad sound, inability to actually see the performers etc, which killed my enthusiasm for "big" gigs a long time ago.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1395846378' post='2407065']
I had a similar experience with Little Feat about six years ago. What they did to Dixie Chicken would have embarrassed a pub band ...
[/quote]

If that was at The Indigo2 with Sean Murphy still with the band I would disagree, I thoroughly enjoyed it - vive la difference.

However back OT - I too have given up on going to gigs larger than a provincial theatre and I give fair warning to any t*sser, male, female or otherwise who even thinks about putting themselves or a camera device between my eyes, ears and the stage.

And I still bemoan the fact that I can't drink beer out of a glass and smoke a ciggie whilst watching a band.
Fekkers....... it's supposed to be rock'n'roll.

Rant over........

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1395849717' post='2407127']
If that was at The Indigo2 with Sean Murphy still with the band I would disagree, I thoroughly enjoyed it - vive la difference.

[/quote]

You got it in one.

Were you there the evening that they used a sprawling, 25-minute, "jammed" version to present the band, one at a time (of course) and very VERY tediously?

Yeah stick to the smaller stuff nowadays myself - did go to o2 Dublin a few weeks back and was BLOWN AWAY by Zac Brown... Stevie Wonder in the same venue a few years previous was a disappointment so it may be the act as much as the venue...

I absolutely LOVE going to gigs. I occasionally struggle watching some of the bands that support my band (& then slope off whilst we're playing despite having politely watched their often unspectacular performance). I have even seen some of the so called past it acts play bigger places and had a good night. I guess we're all different.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1395849869' post='2407132']
You got it in one.

Were you there the evening that they used a sprawling, 25-minute, "jammed" version to present the band, one at a time (of course) and very VERY tediously?
[/quote]

Yes Jack, that was the one.
And yes, it was a bit tedious but I forgave them as it was the first time I had caught them live since Mr. George passed on.

Now you know how old I am. ;)

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1395849967' post='2407135']
did go to o2 Dublin a few weeks back and was BLOWN AWAY by Zac Brown...
[/quote]

Amen. o2 London, c2c, the weekend before last. Zac Brown Band put on as good a live performance as I have ever seen by anyone, anywhere. Deep Purple in '74, Humble Pie in '74, Thin Lizzy in '78, Dire Straights in '85 - it was up there with those.

Edited by Paul S

Interesting thread. I think the facilities have improved over the years in London .
Wembley arena used to be a mess. Now it treats the fans with more respect IMHO .
Didn't like the Astoria much tbh.same with the Lyceum . Marquee was what it was and I was young and liked it. The music machine(now koko ) is my fave venue of all time, and the first gig I've ever been to. The O2 is great too, but do not go too hogh up . I did on 2 occasions, and felt like I was going to die if I sneezed.
But, the hammy o is probably my second fave place of all time. Not too big, but big enough to house too bands. Not too keen on Brixton academy , but the rammstein gig is best ever gig.
Royal Albert hall; great if you don't like metal. The jarre gig was awesome.
I don't see many bands now, but will still see my faves at said venues until they implode ;)

Always been a huge Police-fan so when they did their reunion-tour I was so much looking forward to it...
Turned out to be such a disappointment....terrible live-sound, support-act Fiction Plane (Sting's son) was mùch better and Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland were half the great musicians I expected them to be. Sting couldn't reach the high notes any more.. Wish I had never seen it.

I much prefer smaller venues now. Went to some shockers back in the day (Zeppelin at Earls Court springs to mind). There are some much better venues around now like the O2 Indigo and The Stables at Milton Keynes but I don't often see bands on there that I want to see. Did see Bowie and The Police at Milton Keynes bowl decades ago and they were both good.

Some large venues I have enjoyed, but I do prefer something smaller, I never really liked stadiums that much, they are a little pointless, but like any gig, how good it is is highly variable to not only how they are on the night and where you are but everything leading up to it and who you are with.

I am sure that kate bush is going to be more expensive than I am prepared to pay, given that I know she is going to do stuff from aerial (which I detest)

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1395838453' post='2406877']
I for one am looking forward to hearing the final mixed version, while watching it on my TV with a bottle next to me, and my feet up.

Middle age is fast approaching, and rock and roll is dead.
:)
[/quote]

Nah, rock n roll is all about doing what you want and not compromising for anyone.

So, you don't want to go out and be herded like cattle?

Dude, you rock!!

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1395854835' post='2407247']
Always been a huge Police-fan so when they did their reunion-tour I was so much looking forward to it...
Turned out to be such a disappointment....terrible live-sound, support-act Fiction Plane (Sting's son) was mùch better and Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland were half the great musicians I expected them to be. Sting couldn't reach the high notes any more.. Wish I had never seen it.
[/quote]

Me too. £80 a ticket to watch some tiny figures on a distant stage, or a big TV screen.

By contrast I have seen Iggy Pop twice at the Apollo and John Hiatt at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, and all were cracking gigs.

If I can't get a seat up front, or it's standing with a big crowd, I can't be arsed. I'm not a fanboy, I don't go to a gig to swoon over my heroes. And I don't hang around if the sound is sh*t.

Edited by gjones

I thought I was alone in this feeling. Its good to know that others feel the same way. I always think , right , Ive seen them, lets go.
As you say, small gigs that are intimate and you can see the band are great, but stadium gigs are pants.
I was at Rush a few years back and the gig was ruined by a couple of drunks who shouted the whole night for Zanadu. Every time a song finished "ZANADU...ZANADU!" It ruined the night for us especially when the lights went up and it turned out to be two skinny little runts who I could have taken but seeing as Im a shi**e bag, I didn't say anything. Nah, big gigs are not as good as they are cracked up to be, especially as you get older

I can't understand how the Kate Bush gigs are being touted as a tour when they are all in bloody London. London is not the centre of the universe, at least not for all of us!

Edited by ubit