Why become a member? ×

I don't like watching gigs

Dave Vader

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1395995276' post='2408674']
A bunch of musicians who don't like live gigs ? What a depressing thought. No wonder live music venues are on their arses if even the musicians cant be bothered turning out !
[/quote]

Luckily, there are loads of others who do. Takes all sorts to make a world, YMMV etc. etc.
People are different. This is good.
:)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1395995276' post='2408674']
A bunch of musicians who don't like live gigs ? What a depressing thought. No wonder live music venues are on their arses if even the musicians cant be bothered turning out !
[/quote]

And here comes this old chestnut of mis-information. I simply don't see the supposed problems with venues and gigs myself. IME it's certainly far easier to get gigs and there are far more gigs available then there were in both the 80s and 90s. If your band is entertaining and prepared to travel there are plenty of decent paying gigs at decent venues available.

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1395947487' post='2408334']
Off to see George Porter tomorrow in Manc, I'll let you know how it went...
[/quote]

Got a small crew together to see him at The Borderline in London on Sunday ... saw him exactly a year ago in Philadelphia with The Metermen, absolutely outstanding. He's still got it. :P

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1395998171' post='2408723']
I do agree on the smartphone screen thing though and the iPad ?? Well what's that all about at a gig ?!
[/quote]

It's because the vast majority of people these days are only at a big gig so they can later document it on facebook and show off to their friends... It's the modern equivilent of someone showing you through books and books of holiday photos... Look how exciting my life is! Are you jelous yet?

Don't know why people can't just go out and enjoy an event... sod what it looks like to other people, no-one cares... How can you have a good time if your constantly worried about how it will look to other people when you show them videos / pics etc.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1395948678' post='2408341']
Forgot to mention the forum ( used to be town& country ) in Kentish town. Great venue.
[/quote]
Played there a couple of times, back in the 80s. One of the highlights of my gigging 'career'.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1395996488' post='2408693']
can put up with crap acoustics and crap venue and crap beer and all manner of other crap things but the one thing that really grips my sh*t is trying to see through a sea of smartphone screens :unsure:

[/quote]

Pea-shooter and supply of small ball-bearings?

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1396001226' post='2408781']
Exactly, cant see the point of watching a gig through a small screen when the real thing is right in front of you large as life!
[/quote]

This is the paradox of the modern world - that nothing is valid unless it is seen through the lens of accepted media. No experience can possibly be valid unless it can be shared with other people and endlessly deconstructed via social media.

Which is why I'm starting The Campaign for Real Reality, in which everyone experiences life at first hand - no smartphones, iPads or any other portable devices are allowed and neither is the insidious waste of time that is the public online forum - furthermore, I...
...oh crap. :blink:

Edited by discreet

It really depends upon what's on. I think I favour the smaller venues, putting on weird bands but that might be because I worked behind the bar for many years in a small (<300 cap) music venue. I have been an Iron Maiden fan for many years, and finally got to see them live at Download 2007. I can't really remember much about it, and that's not because of alcohol. The main thing I remember is one of my mates getting an unintentional kick in the face from a crowd surfer and had to be lifted out the front of the crowd to go to the first aid. So he got right up to the front, but for the wrong reasons :( I don't even remember which songs Maiden played. Why was I there? To be able to say I was there? Because frankly, that's about all I've taken away from the experience. Sorry if that seems cynical.

Having said that, at Belladrum last year I saw MacFloyd perform the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon. Even though I was at the back (barely got in the tent), I had a pint of Black Isle Brewery Blonde in one hand and a nip of Tomatin in the other and was singing along like a bloody fool. Fantastic. Loved it.

I guess it depends on the gig. I don't do well with big crowds anyway, I'm a country boy and I'm used to having room to spin around with my arms stretched out if the mood takes me. I also don't care for too much chatter around me at gigs - far be it from me to dictate to people what they do with their spare time but if you're not interested in the music, then WHY ARE YOU HERE?

Ok, I realised it was a very complex issue and attempted to explain it all on my blog, if you have time, do have a read...
[url="http://davedoesntwriteanythingever.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/why-i-decided-not-to-go-and-see-kate_28.html"]http://davedoesntwriteanythingever.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/why-i-decided-not-to-go-and-see-kate_28.html[/url]

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1396005795' post='2408869']
How many people here who complain about Smartphones at gigs have watched footage shot by people with smartphones at gigs on YouTube?

...thought so. :happy:
[/quote]

Absolutely never. Nor any other footage of gigs on youtube, it is invariably unlistenable, unwatchable and not good.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1396005887' post='2408875']
Absolutely never. Nor any other footage of gigs on youtube, it is invariably unlistenable, unwatchable and not good.
[/quote]
and it's really annoying when it's you own band, someone at one of our gigs once said "I nearly didn't come tonight after checking you out on youtube, glad I did"

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1396006104' post='2408880']
and it's really annoying when it's you own band, someone at one of our gigs once said "I nearly didn't come tonight after checking you out on youtube, glad I did"
[/quote]

Yes. Did a gig last year after a bit of a break and was mortified to find it had been recorded and was up on YouTube the next day.
I'm fairly sure we didn't give any permission for that one. Very annoying as the audio and video quality were extremely poor.

Plus I looked like a pensioner having a stroke while wearing gardening trousers at a chimps tea-party, but I can't really blame anyone else but myself and the band for that (I hadn't had my afternoon nap so was a bit grumpy).

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1396004136' post='2408836']
This is the paradox of the modern world - that nothing is valid unless it is seen through the lens of accepted media. No experience can possibly be valid unless it can be shared with other people and endlessly deconstructed via social media.

Which is why I'm starting The Campaign for Real Reality, in which everyone experiences life at first hand - no smartphones, iPads or any other portable devices are allowed and neither is the insidious waste of time that is the public online forum - furthermore, I...
...oh crap. :blink:
[/quote]

pics or it never happened :ph34r:

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1396008104' post='2408913']
:)

Fair point, well made

has it got better since I last tried?
[/quote]

Probably not lol.

But I think they kinda replaced the old audio bootleg. We have all at some point bought or listened to live bootlegs, hoping for that hidden gem of a performance or a gig that we've attended, but the sound was invariably poor to downright unlistenable. The live gig CD service (can't remember what it's called) has also replaced that I guess.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1396008089' post='2408912']
Yes. Did a gig last year after a bit of a break and was mortified to find it had been recorded and was up on YouTube the next day.
I'm fairly sure we didn't give any permission for that one. Very annoying as the audio and video quality were extremely poor.

Plus I looked like a pensioner having a stroke while wearing gardening trousers at a chimps tea-party, but I can't really blame anyone else but myself and the band for that (I hadn't had my afternoon nap so was a bit grumpy).
[/quote]

Link?

;)