Why become a member? ×

How do you set your volume playing live?

John Cellario

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393004853' post='2375221']
How do I set the volume on my amp playing live? Loud. Very loud.

You need to be loud because everybody else has a vested interest in stopping the bass player from being heard, and what's the point of spending all that time learning to play if people can't hear you? If I had wanted to be a f***ing mime artist I would have moved to France and painted my face white a long time ago. Loud is better, because loud is...louder.

Make it louder and stick it to The Man.
[/quote]
Hell yes...this!

When I use my own rack & cabs bass rig i set the volume on the power amp to full and the pre-amp somewhere between 10 and 12 o'clock positions. My bass is then on about almost 1/4 and I control any volume changes with my fingers.

If I'm using anything else I tend to set the volume on my bass about 3/4 on and set the volume on the amp to suit the venue or stage.
Jazzyvee

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1393002501' post='2375186']
With my G&L my volume is at about 75%. Seems to work/sound better with my amp that way. Think it's fairly HOT.
[/quote]

I find the same when using my G&L. When I'm using a Fender P the volume tends to be on full but I do make adjustments with the tone setting.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1393025244' post='2375502']
Keep my volume low so as not to offend the singer who often reminds me not to turn it up during the set.....
[/quote]

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.......... DO NOT PANDER TO SINGERS

This sort of thing just encourages their diva tendancies. :)

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1392995709' post='2375088']
Yup, full or off for me too. If I generally need more volume, then I turn the amp up. If I need more volume mid-song, then invariably I'll create dynamics by plucking softer / harder.

Only exception to the rule is using a Jazz style V-V-T setup, and I want to bring in a small amount of the bridge PuP to add a bit of bark...
[/quote]Yup, same here.
The only issue though is any bass I've owned with two pups and volumes, (I'm using a Squier VM jazz just now) there only seems to be any appreciable difference at the last 20% of each pot. You say you add a small amount of bridge to the mix, I assume this isn't from 'zero' upwards?

I put the volume up most of the way, leave a bit of headroom, so I can adjust either up or down on the bass as necessary. I used to put the volume all the way up but that meant that if the general volume was increasing, I had to go to the amp and turn it up.

It's not all about the volume. How you and your guitar player/s set your tone/EQ settings on your amps can also make a profound difference.

Many guitar players make the mistake of setting up their sound in isolation bedroom mode, often dialling in loads of bass on their amp settings to get a big crunchy sound and it sounds fine... in isolation.

Put this into your live mix and it can sound muddy and lost and so begins the volume competition to try and compensate.

I learnt this lesson the hard way after a few studio sessions and numerous engineers trying to point this problem out, usually resulting in the guitarists getting told to stop stealing the bass frequencies and dialling in a much brighter sound. Thankfully, this lesson carried over into our live setup at the time and resulted in a much better mix.

Word of warning: Approach your guitar players with caution/long pointy stick when mentioning this, they are sensitive souls with an egotistical time-bomb waiting to explode, be diplomatic.

Edited by Mark Dyer

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1393330776' post='2378741']
It's not all about the volume. How you and your guitar player/s set your tone/EQ settings on your amps can also make a profound difference.

Many guitar players make the mistake of setting up their sound in isolation bedroom mode, often dialling in loads of bass on their amp settings to get a big crunchy sound and it sounds fine... in isolation.

Put this into your live mix and it can sound muddy and lost and so begins the volume competition to try and compensate.

I learnt this lesson the hard way after a few studio sessions and numerous engineers trying to point this problem out, usually resulting in the guitarists getting told to stop stealing the bass frequencies and dialling in a much brighter sound. Thankfully, this lesson carried over into our live setup at the time and resulted in a much better mix.

Word of warning: Approach your guitar players with caution/long pointy stick when mentioning this, they are sensitive souls with an egotistical time-bomb waiting to explode, be diplomatic.
[/quote]

My guitarist is a proper pain with this! Always insist on a 'big beefy sound' on all of his guitars (from Les Paul, to pointy Ibanez to Thinline Tele). Worse, he's recently done a 2 year college course on computer based recording and he records our demos. Does a great job of everything, until the power chords come in, then you can hear nothing else!

Constantly telling me I'm too loud (which in fairness I can be!) - and his solution is to turn up my presence rather than my volume.

Anyway....I'll stop moaning now!

My G&L has no tone control, just volume/volume for the two pickups, so I adjust the volumes to get a tone I like (normally about 80% on the P / 20% on the J) and then input gains on the head for taste and then master volume to a level where I can hear myself clearly

Volume on a passive bass has a major effect on the tone.
The higher the volume setting increases the presence of higher frequencies.
I keep the volume on my Jazz bass below 70% for a deep reggae tone - more than that introduces too much treble.
Once the tone is right from the bass, the amp is used to adjust overall volume and to tweak EQ for different venues.

• 1 month later...

I'm very interested in this thread as I'm currently playing in a band where we tune down for certain songs. To save faffing about detuning mid set, I swap basses.

I use a MM stingray and (usually) a US MM SUB. However, I've recently acquired a MIM Jazz which plays great but, being passive is just not as loud as the MMs.

So my question is, do I just turn my MM volume down to a level that matches my Jazz at full tilt, or are there any replacement Jazz pickups that will give it more umph.

Cheers

Edited by Deedee