Why become a member? ×

How do you set your volume playing live?

John Cellario

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1397520582' post='2424847']
I'm very interested in this thread as I'm currently playing in a band where we tune down for certain songs. To save faffing about detuning mid set, I swap basses.
[/quote]

Have you considered using a HipShot extender?

full volume and tone, set the volume according to the drums, I have a 10 metre lead so I stand as far away from the band as possible, it does make a big difference, of course if there's a full PA you are in the hands of the sound engineer, A lot of bands are far too loud, why bands mic up the drums for a pub gig is beyond me, and not invading other peoples frequency space is the key. At a gig recently a guy came up to us after the gig and said "That was great you could hear everything that everybody's playing, can you give my son's band some advice his band just sound a mess?" unfortunately he asked the singer who hasn't got a clue how we set up :lol:

My Jazz bass full ON. My active basses set to give me same volume as my Jazz when plugged into amp with same settings if that makes sense.
Tone on my jazz changes dramatically at around the 75-80% vol point. Prefer tone at full volume on both pots.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Generally speaking, it would make sense to send a nice strong signal to the amp (i.e. have the volume turned up full on your bass) rather than leave some 'in reserve' by having the volume on your bass at less than maximum. Make the adjustments on the amp instead.

If you need a 'quieter' signal for certain tracks, then I'd recommend adjusting your playing style (lighter touch) or instead of tweaking the volume, adjust the EQ - eg. try dialing down the low or high frequencies (depending on whether you normally play 'big and booming' or 'tight and twangy'). Leave the mids alone as that's where all the good stuff happens :)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1393017640' post='2375412'] saves having to walk all the way back to the amp.
[/quote]

You stand more than 5 feet away from your amp? ;)

I run all my basses at full chat, and adjust amp volume to suit.