Why become a member? ×

Who's got the heaviest/lightest bass?

Roland Rock

The Alembic Elan 6 that Ped and I used to own was a monster. We never weighed it but my Stingray is 12lbs and the Alembic was far heavier. To the point where it was painful to wear for long periods.

The lightest bass I've ever played was Herbie Flowers's 59 Jazz. The body felt like it was made from balsa wood. The next generation jazz basses that Chris Celinder was working on a few years back were super light as well. Unfortunately never managed to weigh either.

i might have a contender for both, my letts 5-string is 7.5lb and i currently have posession of a concrete bass which those at the north east bass bash will have seen yesterday, i've not weighed it but the general opinion was b*^%£y heavy!

Matt

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1378719240' post='2203507']
1978 Fender Precision is 13.5 lbs.Mind you, there's a fair amount of dirt and decades of nicotine staining which might make it heavier.
[/quote]

Hell's teeth, that's heavy.

I've never weighed my Dano, but it must be under 7lbs. Violin basses weigh in at 5lbs something IIRC.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1378756122' post='2204365']
My bass collection fretless is 7 lbs.
[/quote]

My Bass Collection SB320 fretless is 7lbs 4 (I've got metal knobs which probably make up the 4 oz). My heaviest one is my Overwater Contemporary J which is 10lb 7.

In metric, those are 3.3kg and 4.7kg.

I have a light bass and a heavy bass ... at least I thought it was heavy. It's nowhere near the extremities mentioned in this thread (16lbs of bass, OOF!!!)

Warwick Streamer Stage1 - 8.4lbs
Aria Pro-II SB900 - 11lbs

Heaviest I've had were probably an ESP at around 12lb and my Jaydees which I'd guess were similar, although they could all have been a tad heavier. The heaviest I've played may have been an old 'Ray which I put on and had to take straight off as I started to take the strain. God knows how heavy it was; must have been twice what my 8.5lb Rics are. Or possibly a 6 string Alembic Series which I couldn't actually wear (this was after my back packed up). Now over 9lbs is pushing it for me. Lightest I've had was probably either my Sei 'Melt' 4 or my Westone Quantum; it's a long time since I had the Quantum so difficult to say.