Why become a member? ×

If you had to make do with one bass - which would it be?

Black Coffee

I have tried to get away from owning half a dozen mid price and cheap basses and relax and get to know one very well. (Also because every room in my house was stuffed with bass stuff and was just ridiculous)
I am on a good thing at the minute with my Mike Lull TC5; but is there anything obvious Im missing that simply has all the tools in one bass that isn't gonna cost me £5,000 ?

I've come around to thinking one way....a way that I used to think was 'too obvious'......

Fender J or P. For what I used to spend on one R**********r, I paid for a used P, and a new (old stock, pre-2012) J.

I could make do with one, but after having a main bass fail on me, I think a back-up is essential - but either could easily be 'the one' if needs be.

Also, having dealt with Fender Customer Services, I can't rate them highly enough. Especially after multiple problems (and no solutions....'they're supposed to be like that....!' with the 'R' brand. :angry:[size=4] [/size]

the one that fits in your hand the best- really how it fits in your hand and effects your playing style will make more difference than who made it or what fancy preamp it has in it.
If you left me with one bass I would be happy with my ACGed up Warwick SS1 - simply it's my bass, it sounds like I want a bass too, it weighs little and it's fun to play. But I like having a passive fender style kicking around too.

BUT - at the end of the day it's not about the price. It's about the bass- does it sound good, play good and you enjoy playing it. I honestly believe that a £200 bass can fit the bill just as well as a £5000 one - (and custom built basses from UK luthiers seem to start at less than the price of a MIA fender too)

Well I guess it should be quite complicated like the Carvin LB70p I used to have or maybe my Esh. I find them a bit tricky to dial in but if I only had one I would suss it out. I would much rather have a couple of complementary basses that I could just pick up and play without thinking too hard.

Edited by Pinball

I had the same thought just after christmas, so I sold a couple, gave one away and now I have a Stingray & a Yamaha Bb. When the basses start to sell again the Stingray will be going.
I've he'd plenty but there's something about romancing one bass that I kinda like. Growing old together sort of thing.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1378141508' post='2196224']
My Ibanez SR1000 prestige, but only if I work out where to get replacement pots for it to stop it crackling!
[/quote]
'
Just buy some 'Servisol Super 10' spray, open the back spray ont he pot and turn the pots until the crackle goes. Easy!