Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1377775858' post='2191588']
As Toyah once said "It's a mystery ?"
[/quote]

I thought what she actually said was "It's a mystewy" :)

I like single cut basses for the most part. But then I also like trains and walking up hills.

I think they're like any instrument. Some are nice, some are superfugly.
The Fender Jazz may have been a beautiful instrument as a single cut as the top cyst like horn it has is a hideous thing IMV (the rest of the instrument I do like).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1377807976' post='2192277']
[size=4]The Fender Jazz may have been a beautiful instrument as a single cut as the top cyst like horn it has is a hideous thing IMV (the rest of the instrument I do like).[/size]
[/quote]

My fretted single cut, is basically a Jazz body with the top horn filled in.

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1377806166' post='2192228']
I thought what she actually said was "It's a mystewy" :)

I like single cut basses for the most part. But then I also like trains and walking up hills.
[/quote]

What she actually said was "Iths ah Mysterhrerrree"

Don't you ever read the sleeve notes?

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1377814388' post='2192412']

My fretted single cut, is basically a Jazz body with the top horn filled in.

[/quote]

That is rather nice. Now, ifit was fretless & I had funds, I'd buy that! :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1377776634' post='2191610']
I think it's because more of the body is in contact with the neck it's supposed to have more tone.
[/quote]

i would be inclined to agree with this sentiment - personally am against shimming too as a setup fix as imho it is affecting the neck/pocket contact area - ive even resorted to routing out a millimetre of body surface to drop the thicker gotoh 201 bridge down to get full adjustment rather than shimming i tried it and imho it sounded pants and neck stability was definitely an issue

so although i havent played one i would expect a single cutaway to add to stability and tone transmission throughout the whole instrument

hopefully somebody will have one of these ugly little critters at the SE bass bash and i can have a proper look-see :D

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1377845702' post='2192541']
i would be inclined to agree with this sentiment - personally am against shimming too as a setup fix as imho it is affecting the neck/pocket contact area - ive even resorted to routing out a millimetre of body surface to drop the thicker gotoh 201 bridge down to get full adjustment rather than shimming i tried it and imho it sounded pants and neck stability was definitely an issue

so although i havent played one i would expect a single cutaway to add to stability and tone transmission throughout the whole instrument

hopefully somebody will have one of these ugly little critters at the SE bass bash and i can have a proper look-see :D
[/quote]

Neck stability might come into play as well (but who knows)
I have had mine over seven years and have had very little neck movement,
Since the first set up I have never had to adjust the rod at all (and it has been the only fretted Bass I use)
I have a high action and use heavy gauge strings, so the whole thing feels very tight (How I like it)
Natural note (quite long) decay on it is great, but then again that might be down to woods.
Does single cut make a difference ? I am not sure, but mine does play great (for me)
If I go along to the Bash, I will bring it along.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1377815683' post='2192431']
What she actually said was "Iths ah Mysterhrerrree"

Don't you ever read the sleeve notes?
[/quote]
[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1377817029' post='2192455']
Itth a Mithterrreeee surely?
[/quote]
[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1377821025' post='2192474']
Thurely!
[/quote]

:D

Single-cut basses are great!

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/b5e56a4d-ddc8-46d3-97cc-2df943b2d585_zps2073bd8a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/4016479564_a9d2c0ca35_o_zps4ceb0208.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/bass73fullfrnt_zpsc4eda2d0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/menu-b-belvstandard_zpsc9686a1e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/SP_Bass_Campbell_zps416f1eba.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/KJJ1-09Crcover_zpscf98c340.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/12_space_ranger_bass_red_custom-1_copy__1_zpsaa2c0c32.jpg[/IMG]

Still love my Sei Series 1 single cut - really lightweight bass with a great tone - the single cut design definitely increases the punch of the tone and doesn't restrict its playability - admittedly reaching the highest frets on the B string is quite tricky but I rarely go there when I'm playing:

Sounds good too - will be bringing it to the SE bass bash in September - anyone there is welcome to try it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOIPDpAEzuE

I'm a fan of singlecuts, so much so that i bought one!

[attachment=142678:1175262_10151824833249243_508819803_n.jpg]

this one will be at the North East Bass Bash if anyone wants a closer look or a bit of a noodle.

Matt

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1377854628' post='2192704']
That's nice but when people say 'singlecut' they think of the coffee tables with a whale hump.
[/quote]

Hence my previous post. I still think that the Gibson Triumph Bass is one of the most gorgeous looking basses ever made. It's a pity that it's massively heavy and mostly sounds a bit crap.

I cannot speak with any authority about any tonal, structural or otherwise benefit of a single cut design. Sorry. All I see is a bunch of conjecture with very little "science" to back it up. Just like about anything else that is debated heavily about instruments to be honest - it's all so intangible and subjective. I don't think I've ever seen anything I would describe as scientific analysis of the burning issues that we seem to love winding each other up about so much.

The OP has asked if there are any benefits to having a Single-Cut bass. Well, put it this way, there are certainly no disadvantages. The disclaimer being if the bass has been built properly in the first place! Ha! Anyway - no, there will be no problem with neck issues either on a bolt-on or a neck-thru design. As I type this on my mobile device, someone mentioned two-handed tapping possibly being difficult? Actually, no problem at all there! In fact, as there is a nice surface for your arm to rest on. One of my other basses has quite a thin rounded upper horn and you definitely do notice the difference. I mean, it's not bad though. It'd never be a deal breaker. The Single-Cut doesn't add any more noticeable weight to the bass and i think the tonal differences are so small it's practically insignificant. A change from a BBT bridge to a Badass is going to be way more noticeable.

So, to sum up, the driver for a Single-Cut has mostly got to be looks for me. Yes, there are some 'interesting' versions out there, but ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It does still surprise me to see such a Marmite response to them though.

Just to turn the argument on its head: I'll admit, I'm no huge fan of the way these modern singlecuts look, but compare with the Gibson Thunderbird (classic 'reverse' design) - they look fantastic, but that bottom horn (wing?) makes upper fret access a bit of a sod. (One of the reasons I went for an EB-3 instead!)

So if you're only going to done one cutaway, is it simply more practical to do it on the bottom than the top...even if it will polarise bassists from a visual perspective?

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

Technically, if the top horn does indeed make for a stronger, stiffer area longer up the neck, then it's obvious this changes overtone make-up and overtone decay. Question is how, and that question can only be answered by enormous amounts of trial, and hardly by calculation, as each bass is an individual, and most are made of wood, making it virtually impossible to calculate through this.

Visually, I think the resentment certainly has to do with how we're programmed, and comes from those single cuts where the body no longer resembles a trad guitar, as the top horn part goes so far up the neck. Too much wood, I'd guess.