Why become a member? ×

Stage left or tage right. Who cares ?

BILL POSTERS

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1355153279' post='1894691']
I ended up in the middle (but behind the singer) at the rehearsal of the 'scratch' band at the music academy on Sat. I stood there because that's where the bass amp was and I didn't feel I ought to move anything. :o
it did feel a bit wierd tbh, and I wondered if it looked a bit strange as well. I'd prefer to be on one side or the other (don't mind which) so I can see what everyone else is doing.

I didn't like to say anything at the time because I was a bit nervous and the musical director didn't say anything. But I think I might mention it at the next rehearsal. My cable would easily stretch over to a better position - as long as it's not a health and safety hazard!
[/quote]
[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355153725' post='1894700']
'shell , we really have to talk !!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

That whole post is a double entendre!!!!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1355154143' post='1894704']
If you direct the front of a DB towards the audience (which seems kind of sensible) then you're likely to end up standing facing the stage-left wings. If the drummer is to your (nominal) right then actually you have just turned your back on him ...[/quote]

That makes perfect sense now. It's frustrating for me because pretty much every gig we do supporting a psychobilly band with an upright bass, I end up on the other side of the stage and at some point in the set Mr Venom will have a coming together with the headstock of my bass. The few occasions when the DB has been on the stage left is when they were also the lead singer.

I used to be in a big 13 piece band with horns (always on my side of the stage) and singers. I was sometimes rammed really close to the kit and, being right handed and on the right hand side of the drummer my headstock had very little room to move without getting close to clattering a cymbal.

Got the MD to move me and the horns to the left hand side so if I swung around too far I wouldn't hit the kit - got the, flash git, also sax player on the back of the head a couple of times though :)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1355149368' post='1894606']
I don't care where I am relative to the drummer, but the guitarist in my band is left handed, so I prefer to be on his left so that we don't clash headstocks.
[/quote]

I play left handed so I prefer stage right for the same reason.

I try not to listen to the drummer so that's not an issue.

I would prefer to have the drummer on my right (ie be on the left as we look out - so I can hear the hihat) but we ALWAYS set up the other way round and I end up on the right, behind the keyboard....the guitarist doesn't share sight lines with the keyboardist....

I prefer the drummer on my right as we look out. I can get a good view of the kick pedal from there and it just seems better for the two of us re the eye contact and fun aspect.

However, with the drummer I played with on Saturday, I'd have rather been in another building, or town.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1355164855' post='1894913']
Don't mind usually but I do prefer playing stage left but not because of the hi-hat but because of the ride cymbal. Don't know why but it inspires me more when the drummer is grooving on the ride and I can play along with him/her/it. :)
[/quote]

So does you drummer have his ride on his right rather than left side like most other guys?

I much prefer having the drummer to my left. not sure why, but it does mean I'm less likely to smack my headstock off a wall! If there's already a bass cab set up at the other side of the stage I wouldn't mind making an exception though.... I like to be near my amp so I can hear myself loud and clear

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1355177452' post='1895164']
I thought the ride was always on the right on a standard drum kit?
[/quote]

Sorry my confusion..yeah. With you saying you stand stage left because of the ride,I meant the other
way around.

This topic comes round quite a bit....

Generally stage right so that I can hear / feel the bass drum - a lot of claasic rock bands set up like this (I know that Billy Sheehan usually insists on it)

However, these days I'm not as bothered as I used to be!

• 1 month later...