Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stage left or tage right. Who cares ?

BILL POSTERS

How many of you actually care whether the drummer is on your left, or on your right. When I first started I used to insist that he was on my right for ages, just being a bit pretentious really. But for the last about a hundred years I havent really cared either way.

I played with the drummer on my left last week for the first time in a while, and to be honest, it does seem to make a difference. Just cant quite describe why.

Depends on the drummer. If he is good with eye contact then on the right of him makes him look out to the audience more. I've played with drummers who permanatly look at their hi-hat and you can't get any eye contact. But then they're usually a lost case anyway.

I don't mind on a personal level though.

I prefer stage left (looking at the audience with the drummer on my right) as I'm less likely to clout the other band members in the face with the head of my bass. However we do a lot of gigs with psychobilly bands using upright bass and they always set up the other way around (why?)

I'd like to be alongside the hihat but as I'm a double bass player I have to be stage right, looking into the band, otherwise if it's stage left I'm looking out of the band into a sidewall or curtain and that doesn't aid concentration. I suppose it's not so important for BG players - or is it?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1355149876' post='1894619']
What?? You can't have the bass in the middle - it's against the law!
[/quote]

I ended up in the middle (but behind the singer) at the rehearsal of the 'scratch' band at the music academy on Sat. I stood there because that's where the bass amp was and I didn't feel I ought to move anything. :o
it did feel a bit wierd tbh, and I wondered if it looked a bit strange as well. I'd prefer to be on one side or the other (don't mind which) so I can see what everyone else is doing.

I didn't like to say anything at the time because I was a bit nervous and the musical director didn't say anything. But I think I might mention it at the next rehearsal. My cable would easily stretch over to a better position - as long as it's not a health and safety hazard!

Edited by seashell

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1355150874' post='1894645']
However we do a lot of gigs with psychobilly bands using upright bass and they always set up the other way around (why?)
[/quote]

If you direct the front of a DB towards the audience (which seems kind of sensible) then you're likely to end up standing facing the stage-left wings. If the drummer is to your (nominal) right then actually you have just turned your back on him ...

Ask me how I know:

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Performance/120603%20Kings%20Head/AcousticgiginW312.jpg[/IMG]