Why become a member? ×

A friend of mine thinks I should join a band again.

...I told him I'm too old and fed up with it(soon to be 50)

I pointed out the things against age, I don't drive, and location.also usual band politics etc.
Then he said ,"you are single ,need to get out more " etc.
Apart from possessing good gear, I'm still looking for something to convince me .

I'm older than you and also don't drive. I don't know about Rugby, but I doubt it's very much less musically happening than Nottingham. Also I would suspect that you are better bass player than I am. Having said all that I have never had any problem finding decent bands to play in and I have fairly stringent musical and social requirements for bands to be worth my while. Right now I'm having the musical time of my life. I don't think I've ever been so busy and fired up with a band.

You won't know what's possible until you've had a look. If you have the time get out there and go to some auditions. You don't have to commit to anything, and if after 6 months or so you haven't found anything that floats your boat, then at least you know you gave it a go.

If you need convincing then maybe it's not what you really want to do. And we've all been in bands with folks who are a bit so-so about it.

If you want to take it further, why not take a look around at what bands are looking for bassists. You'll know if something really takes your fancy or not. Only worth getting involved if it's really what you want to do though. Sound like you are well experienced enough to ask all the right questions before joining a band also.

Good luck in your decision !

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1354358451' post='1885102']
.....I told him I'm too old and fed up with it(soon to be 50)

I pointed out the things against age, I don't drive, and location.also usual band politics etc.
Apart from possessing good gear, I'm still looking for something to convince me ....
[/quote]

With such a negative attitude who can argue against you?

I don't understand why anyone would develop a skill and buy good gear unless they have the ultimate goal of playing in a band in front of an audience.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354359924' post='1885126']
I don't understand why anyone would develop a skill and buy good gear unless they have the ultimate goal of playing in a band in front of an audience.
[/quote]This.

Ours is not often used as a solo instrument and is normally found in a band context. I'm 53 next birthday (not that I think age is any reason really) and I've joined the best band I've ever been in just this year. Playing along to backing just doesn't give you that interaction buzz IMO.

[/quote]

Playing to a crowd is no longer a target for me at 61 - been there, done that, got the T shirts B) It's a great feeling to be able to play what I want, when I want, with the gear that I choose, in the comfort of my own home. Not saying I'm too old to gig & party, but my old bones might disagree :) think I'll leave it to the youngsters, that includes 50 + year olds BTW :D

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1354359862' post='1885124']
If you need convincing then maybe it's not what you really want to do.
[/quote]

+1. If your heart is not in it, then no amount of convincing will suffice.

Find another hobby that you really want to do.

Edited by Coilte

Nearly 50!!! Tut, tut. These youngsters!

When I set out to play I'm looking forward to every moment. The traffic can be a pain, there will always be some idiots at the venue and my back will ache when I get home but all of that is nothing compared to the glow you get after a well played set.

How do you get an adrenalin buzz playing bass in your front room?

[/quote]

Because they just enjoy playing an instrument for the sake of it.
Playing in front of an audience was never any kind of motivation for me & even when I was playing in bands the gigging side of it held no interest or pleasure for me. I'm sure I'm not the only person to feel this way.

The OP obviously just doesn't enjoy playing in bands, which I can fully understand as (in my experience) it's a pain in the arse for 99% of the time.

I'm 43, the other guys are 53,60 and 60. They start to visibly tire halfway through the third set, things start to stop flowing, just when we should be ramping it up. I've joined another band of people my age, my commitments and my type of music.

Playing tunes from the 60s is OK but you get a certain audience.

At the age of 50, I would work out what music inspires you (70s?) and look for a band of guys your age playing it. You'll have a great time, you won't be out every weekend, you'll probably get invited to social events with them. It's a lot more fun than it used to be when no one is on some great fame power ego trip. Not to say you won't get that, but it's easier to manage if you do.

[/quote]

Too old is a poor excuse, fed up with it is not.

Just do what ever YOU want to do, not what other people think you should do.

But I reckon you already know that.

Started playing in a band again at age 48 after a 15 year complete break from playing.

Having the most fun ive ever had in a band - great band mates, playing all my favourite songs, gigging a bit more than i planned (every weekend for the last 8 months) but the missus is cool about it, bought some great new toys and most gigs result in people bouncing around all over the place.

Bloody brilliant and way better than 1st time around.

Apart from possessing good gear, I'm still looking for something to convince me .
[/quote]
I wouldn't bother mate - you'll only end up having fun ;)

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1354361650' post='1885155']
There's a band round our way called One foot in The Groove, apart from the singer they are all in their 60's!
[/quote]

Brill. Some people've just [b]got it[/b].

Ray, here's what you [b]have to[/b] do:
Do what your heart tells you to do, and don't let anybody else tell you what to do.
Do this right this evening. [b]No delay![/b]

BTW, the age argument, if indeed used as an argument for or against something, is nonsense, and you know it. It's just about where and what you wanna be, and by large that is what one needs to listen to.
Me, I'm 56. Gave up concerting like 25 years ago, and have only performed a few times since. Now I want out and gig again. If I change my mind tomorrow, then I change my mind. Done!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1354360277' post='1885132']
...I'm 53 next birthday and I've joined the best band I've ever been in just this year...[/quote]
Exactly this.

I'm still looking for something to convince me...[/quote]
Birds! Randy old birds! :D
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

[/quote]

Got to go with this..

If you need convincing, your heart doesn't sound in it, so I suggest you come back if and when you feel like it.
Maybe you need a spark and a push, but anymore than that and you'll not make the thing work, tbh and you'll be wasting everyones time.

Harsh..?? maybe... but you are either commited to a reasonable degree or you aren't.

The age thing isn't an issue-it doesn't matter how old you are.
The not driving is likely to be the bigger problem. It's no fun having to rely on
lifts from others,and it's difficult to carry all your gear on public transport. But,if you can
find others who would be willing to help you out then that's great.

[/quote]

I do.

Because they enjoy playing. There need not be another reason.
I arrived at this conclusion in a roundabout manner, having been through the "usual" get gear, learn to play to an acceptable standard, join band, play live.... routine.
I can drive, I'm not yet 40, But I've had enough of all that.
Some of it was great. Some of it certainly wasn't. Went as far as it was going, and I just don't enjoy playing live any more.

I've found that playing because I want to, when I want to and what I want to is more rewarding than playing because I feel obliged to. YMMV, naturally.

Edit - Apologies to KiOgon! I didn't read the whole thread... I just posted a reply. Interesting that the responses are so similar, though. I could've just put a "+1"....

Edited by Lfalex v1.1