Why become a member? ×

Bob Babbit - R.I.P.

kevin_lindsay

Bad day for Motown. Such a nice guy too.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiSDZVmnRNU&feature=player_embedded#!"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiSDZVmnRNU&feature=player_embedded#![/url]

Edited by gjones

I saw the Funk Brothers show when they came to the RFH and Bob looked so cool just sitting on his stool grooving away - every now & then he'd drag himself to his feet & you could see the band's admiration for him & the audience gave him great applause.

Another truly unsung great for many years but at least he got some recognition more recently.

Definitely one who'll be sadly missed :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1342478930' post='1736038']
....I saw the Funk Brothers show when they came to the RFH and Bob looked so cool....
[[/quote]

I was there. What a great night. I took the kids and they loved it too.

This is terrible news.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1342479715' post='1736049']
I was there. What a great night. I took the kids and they loved it too.

[/quote]

I could only get a single ticket so went on my own - was surrounded by celebs everywhere you looked though, Paul Weller & Elvis Costello were sitting near me & both, Weller in particular, were cheering away all evening.

Someone needs to put a 'Babbitt's Greatest tunes' playlist on Spotify as a tribute tot he great man.

Very sad. Midnight Train to Georgia is a song I've loved since I was a kid and it's one of those incredible bass lines that stays with you. Bob's website is an excellent source of info on bass and Motown. Bob, your music lives on.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1342460971' post='1735564']
Ah, that's really sad to hear. Bob played one of my favourite bass lines - Midnight Train to Georgia, so melodic. A real loss.
[/quote]
Oh wow, was that him? That line is [i]beautiful[/i]! One of my faves, I used to love playing it.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1342460971' post='1735564']
Ah, that's really sad to hear. Bob played one of my favourite bass lines - Midnight Train to Georgia, so melodic. A real loss.

Jon Lord too. This year is going to be memorable for all the wrong reasons.
[/quote]
This.

My humble thanks to them both.