Why become a member? ×

Basschat guitar (not bass) forum

MacDaddy

As a bassist I've always been against the idea of Basschat having a wee corner where those who play both guitar and bass could congregate and speak in hushed tones. It is [b]Bass[/b]chat after all.

But seen as I am now playing the guitar in a band myself, I'm suddenly thinking it's not such a bad idea [size=2]*looks for 'hypocrite? Me?'[/size][size=2] emoticon*[/size] :D

Any thoughts?

It's been discussed plenty on here and decided against, the forum is a hefty size as it is and it would simply dilute the content IMO (it's a Bass site, not a all-emcompassing guitar/music/instrument site)

There's nothing to stop you registering a domain and setting up your own forum though :)

Si

Hmmm. As a former guitarist AND former tutor I should want this. In truth I'm not sure I do. I'd agree that some of the folks inhabiting guitar sites can be a bit anal, but when all's said this is actually a bass site.

I once raised (with others) the idea of a Lefty subforum. To be fair to the mods they did give it serious consideration (which is more than I could say at the time about some of my fellow BC'ers - you know who you are :ph34r: ), but again came down against (we do have our own thread on the For Sale forum though - woohoo! :) )

I hope you'll forgive me if this all feels a bit familiar.

that would be like me going into WHsmiths, looking at the multitude of guitar related magazines... then spotting my oasis, (the lonely bass guitar mag) and finding out half the magazine has guitar content...

i really think we are all equal as musicians, but this electric bass forum with its great info, is too important to start diluting... :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1325701512' post='1486374']
Could you then please point us in the direction of a good one that is as friendly, interesting and musically diverse as BassChat?
[/quote]

It's unlikely you'll find any music forum as friendly, interesting, and musically diverse as BassChat. I've never seen another one that even comes close.

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1325701971' post='1486383']
It's unlikely you'll find any music forum as friendly, interesting, and musically diverse as BassChat. I've never seen another one that even comes close.
[/quote]

Exactly.

If I understand correctly, though, MacDaddy was implying that the guitar-related subforum on BC would be specific for those of us who play both instruments, not like a normal guitar forum like many you can find elsewhere. (Happy to stand corrected if I got it wrong.)

Even if I don't play guitar I might like to lurk on such subforum, as I'm fascinated by how two instruments that look so similar can in fact be so different in the way they are played and in their use in composing songs.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1325694684' post='1486228']
All though a good idea, I'd rather keep it strictly bass related.
There are already guitar dedicated forums out there.
[/quote]
But most of them are sh*t and full of little ***** with nothing useful to say.

I would like the BC team to create a discrete Guitarchat forum moderated in the way this is. BC seems to me to be 'in service' to bass and most of its prolific members appear to espouse a similar attitude, that its the bass and this forum is what's important.

Most decent guitar forums are pretty much instrument-specific due to the vast numbers of guitarists around. A general guitar forum might be difficult to moderate usefully.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1325701512' post='1486374']
Could you then please point us in the direction of a good one that is as friendly, interesting and musically diverse as BassChat?
[/quote]

I could name three that are easily as good (one of them far better actually), but I don't want them being swamped by bloody bass players. :)

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1325703626' post='1486426']
We could have a forum for other instruments that's hidden from non-registered users and where only those are allowed to post who have already posted elsewhere
[/quote]

Only if it was organised by a bassist that started them off on the basics.
1. How to remember to pack your leads.
2. how to remember to work without an electric tuner
etc.

I'd support this. I played guitar in my last band for about 5 years. The only reason I decided to play guitar was because I didn't want to be in a band with a guitarist. Sending someone off to a guitar forum is like sending an innocent man to prison. If there were a small sub forum here for discussion of the instrument in a rational and sensible manner, as seems beyond the grasp of your average guitariste, I think it would be a good thing. It could be incognito, so as not to attract unwanted attention and anyone who doesn't want to visit it shouldn't be forced.

Guitars aren't the problem, it's guitarists.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1325704593' post='1486446']
I'd support this. I played guitar in my last band for about 5 years. The only reason I decided to play guitar was because I didn't want to be in a band with a guitarist. Sending someone off to a guitar forum is like sending an innocent man to prison. If there were a small sub forum here for discussion of the instrument in a rational and sensible manner, as seems beyond the grasp of your average guitariste, I think it would be a good thing. It could be incognito, so as not to attract unwanted attention and anyone who doesn't want to visit it shouldn't be forced.

Guitars aren't the problem, it's guitarists.
[/quote]
So it could just be done in General Discussion , it doesn't need an extra forum drawing attention to itself.