Why become a member? ×

Basschat guitar (not bass) forum

MacDaddy

LOL really that all these people who can't handle a proper bass = DB on this forum actually think they don't play guitar already... come on, not that different altogether - be honest!

But I do agree there's not much to say about guitars since if you know bass, you know guitar don't you? I mean, every single band I play bass in, I know more about guitars and play them better than any of the guitarists I play with, sad as it is

guitar is for beginners - this is a pro forum - can't imagine anything on guitars worth posting here!

though I stick to my opinion that guitar related threads should be fine but stuck in a "other instruments than bass" sub forum visible only for members.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1325703137' post='1486416']
If I understand correctly, though, MacDaddy was implying that the guitar-related subforum on BC would be specific for those of us who play both instruments, not like a normal guitar forum like many you can find elsewhere. (Happy to stand corrected if I got it wrong.)
[/quote]

nope, that's spot on :)

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1325720475' post='1486785']
LOL really that all these people who can't handle a proper bass = DB on this forum actually think they don't play guitar already... come on, not that different altogether - be honest!

But I do agree there's not much to say about guitars since if you know bass, you know guitar don't you? I mean, every single band I play bass in, I know more about guitars and play them better than any of the guitarists I play with, sad as it is

guitar is for beginners - this is a pro forum - can't imagine anything on guitars worth posting here!

though I stick to my opinion that guitar related threads should be fine but stuck in a "other instruments than bass" sub forum visible only for members.
[/quote]

Mate, it's about personal expression. When you go taking about playing guitar 'better' than any of the guitarists you play with, that's when you start sounding like an elitist twit, or poor at choosing the bands you play with.

Many guitarists are troublesome because of the guitar's obvious prominence in popular music that uses stringed instruments, which makes the motives for playing it different to the bassist's, but a guitarist with the motive of communication is still to be treasured.

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1325720475' post='1486785']

[/quote]

Seriously?
Nothing elitist about Basschat at all then.
If you are so technically excellent on the auld guitar then maybe you would have plenty to post about.

Lets apply the same logic a little differently....
There's not really all that much to say about bass really at the end of the day. Its basically just a guitar with fewer strings tuned an octave lower and most often played by those who were delegated the role in their first band because they couldn't sing/drum/play guitar or were the fat ugly one.

One of the marks of a properly professional musical approach is that you show some respect for your fellow musicians. Instance the number of people on here who routinely use the term 'guitard'. Many will no doubt protest that it isn't really intended as an insult, or that they don't really mean anything by it. Really? So it's ok to demean guitar players as long as you don't really mean anything by it? Is that how it works?

As a relatively (i.e. last 5 years or so) bass convert and former lead guitarist who worked f***ing hard to get as good as I did, I'm constantly dismayed by the level of snobbery on the part of some members.

[/Rant]

Why dont people who want a guitar ( or banjo,tuba...whatever) just go to a relevant guitar forum. That way people who want a bass forum can go to a bass forum, not a 'bass with a bit of guitar' forum.

Say no to basschatwithabitogguitar.co.uk!

Edited by geoffbassist

What Leftybassman said.

The thing is there *are* guitar fora out there, but I've yet to find one that fulfils the criteria of being UK-centric, not belonging to a particular company, and not being devoted to a particular type of guitar.

Is there any reason why there can't be Guitarchat.co.uk running alongside this one. Separate forum, same servers?

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1325751694' post='1486939']
One of the marks of a properly professional musical approach is that you show some respect for your fellow musicians. Instance the number of people on here who routinely use the term 'guitard'. Many will no doubt protest that it isn't really intended as an insult, or that they don't really mean anything by it. Really? So it's ok to demean guitar players as long as you don't really mean anything by it? Is that how it works?

As a relatively (i.e. last 5 years or so) bass convert and former lead guitarist who worked f***ing hard to get as good as I did, I'm constantly dismayed by the level of snobbery on the part of some members.

[/Rant]
[/quote]

IMHO it's a classic "cultural cringe" response - bassists are for the most part used to being less noticed and less admired than guitarists, and so form a kind of defensive anti-guitarist snobbery in response. It's a bit like the stereotypical Scottish and Welsh attitudes to England (especially with regard to sports). Don't waste your energy worrying about it. ;)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1325754597' post='1486994']
Because Ped already said that he didn't want the extra work.
[/quote]

I'll have a think about it more seriously when I have sorted out one or two things here first. To open a 'sister' site would be much easier than it was setting up from scratch.

Cheers

I can see this degenerating into a huge row and the Basschat forum desecnding into another mess like the one that created it in the first place. All because some people couldnt be bothered looking for a guitar forum from the two million out there that already exsist.

ps: Guitards.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1325714331' post='1486639']
Frankly a guitar section would swamp us with idiots, and many old established members would get peed of and move on to some more Stalinist forum like Talkbass.
[/quote]
[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1325752898' post='1486962']
Why dont people who want a guitar ( or banjo,tuba...whatever) just go to a relevant guitar forum. That way people who want a bass forum can go to a bass forum, not a 'bass with a bit of guitar' forum.

Say no to basschatwithabitogguitar.co.uk!
[/quote]

Nobody mentioned throwing the doors open for an influx of guitarists to join the forum - just to have somewhere for Basschat members who also have an interest in the skinnier string to have a place to discuss it. As it's been said, there doesn't seem to be any guitar forums with the same 'atmosphere' as BC (not enough bass players on them!) and as a sub-forum that only members can see, it's not inviting any non bassists into the fold. It wouldn't even show up on Google search results as being here!

One additional subforum doesn't throw the balance off, or create a massive amount of extra work, or cause us to degenerate into a squabbling mess - it'd just be a place to discuss another aspect of music that many of us are interested in. If people don't like it they can (like the many members who don't like Off Topic) just not click on it!

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1325760458' post='1487094']
I can see this degenerating into a huge row ...[/quote]

Not if we're all just a bit grown-up about it.

As to denigrating guitarists, that's neither snobbery nor a cultural cringe on my part ... it's some very unpleasant experiences with some very unpleasant individuals.

That does NOT mean that I think all lead guitarists are arseholes. Just that every musical arsehole I've met in the last five years happened to be a lead guitarist.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1325761117' post='1487109']
Not if we're all just a bit grown-up about it.

As to denigrating guitarists, that's neither snobbery nor a cultural cringe on my part ... it's some very unpleasant experiences with some very unpleasant individuals.

[b]That does NOT mean that I think all lead guitarists are arseholes. Just that every musical arsehole I've met in the last five years happened to be a lead guitarist.[/b]
[/quote]

Try male violinists! ;)

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1325760458' post='1487094']
All because some people couldnt be bothered looking for a guitar forum from the two million out there that already exsist.
[/quote]

I have, I'm sure others have too. That's quite a big assumption to make really and exactly the sort of comment that makes threads degenerate in to a huge row.

To reiterate an earlier point, I have yet to find a guitar forum that fulfils all the following criteria: UK-centric, not aimed at a specific type of guitar, independant (i.e. not owned by a guitar/hardware/pickup manufacturer).

Edited by mrdreadful

I am starting to think the naysayers have an image in their heads that all guitarists are at the front of stage swinging a Strat or LP and going rilly rilly ree without a though for the rest of the band. We are not all like this, some of us play classical, flamenco, folk, synth, or approach electric guitar in a completely different way to how most people might imagine.