Why become a member? ×

Basschat guitar (not bass) forum

MacDaddy

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1325703212' post='1486421']...

I would like the BC team to create a discrete Guitarchat forum moderated in the way this is. BC seems to me to be 'in service' to bass and most of its prolific members appear to espouse a similar attitude, that its the bass and this forum is what's important....
[/quote]

+1, since I'm also a guitarplayer, but don't like guitar forums at all.
maybe here a secret chamber for members would be cool.

... :rolleyes: well not all forums, I like only the one I'm a moderator in.
it is brand related, but not connected to the brand owner: [url="http://www.letstalkguild.com"]l[/url][url="http://www.letstalkguil.com"]ets talk guild[/url]

Edited by the_krysh

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1325701966' post='1486382']
It would be OK if we could confine them to a subforum, but they might escape out and roam free in the other forums, spoiling things with their flambouyant ways. ;) :lol:
[/quote] :D my, did that did make me laugh... there not sheep... cum bye, whistle whistle, in to yer pen... B5 whistles BC the resident colly..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1325695477' post='1486248']
It's been discussed plenty on here and decided against, the forum is a hefty size as it is and it would simply dilute the content IMO (it's a Bass site, not a all-emcompassing guitar/music/instrument site)

There's nothing to stop you registering a domain and setting up your own forum though :)

Si
[/quote]

This, exactly this, nail on head and similar.

I reckon a subsection in off topic would be a great addition. Theres already non bass related subforums here so what difference would a guitar specific subforum make?
If (new)members abuse the forum the can be dealt with by the Mods.
As a part time guitarist Im all for it.

(Plus Im of the opinion that bassist should have at least a basic grasp of guitar and drum theory as it can be a great benefit).

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1325704887' post='1486456']
Topics would just disappear among everything else. It's not general discussion, it's several topics related to a specific instrument, rather than the random subject matter of the open forums.
[/quote]
General Discussion is for discussion of music as well as bass generally, it's not random.

It's a nice idea, I even thought about having some other forums under the basschat 'brand' like drumchat, guitarchat etc but ultimately I don't want to water down the concept. Without any real knowledge or interest in the other instruments I don't think I would have the same enthusiasm to support them long term. Basschat creates enough work alone!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1325706595' post='1486493']
It's a nice idea, I even thought about having some other forums under the basschat 'brand' like drumchat, guitarchat etc but ultimately I don't want to water down the concept. Without any real knowledge or interest in the other instruments I don't think I would have the same enthusiasm to support them long term. Basschat creates enough work alone!
[/quote]

You were more direct last time Ped:

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1267918650' post='766544']
Get out

[/quote]

I think there's enough BC members who either moonlight as guitarists or have at least a passing interest to make it a worthwhile addition as a subforum.

As others have said, the community on basschat is a rare breed, and an equivalent guitar forum doesn't seem to exist - often because of the sheer size they swell to. A subforum, maybe only visible to members as previously suggested, would mean we aren't going to ve "overrun" by non-bass playing members, but those of us who are interested in both have.got somewhere to discuss it.

What harm could that do?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1325701512' post='1486374']
Could you then please point us in the direction of a good one that is as friendly, interesting and musically diverse as BassChat?
[/quote]Basschat is in my opinion totally unique, in that the w***ers who post on here, (unlike w***ers on guitar forums) are massively intelligent and very attractive, me included.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1325707780' post='1486510']
I think there's enough BC members who either moonlight as guitarists or have at least a passing interest to make it a worthwhile addition as a subforum.

As others have said, the community on basschat is a rare breed, and an equivalent guitar forum doesn't seem to exist - often because of the sheer size they swell to. A subforum, maybe only visible to members as previously suggested, would mean we aren't going to ve "overrun" by non-bass playing members, but those of us who are interested in both have.got somewhere to discuss it.

What harm could that do?
[/quote]

This is the key for me, that this will be more of a bassist's perspective on guitar. It would likely be quite different to a guitarist's take on guitar. When I was a guitarist I was really only interested in shredding, but also with open pedal chords like Lifeson. These days I have a pro gig on guitar and I have developed a much more textural approach like a keyboard, but also manage to play lead lines with taste and not just as an athletics showcase. I am convinced my switch to bass over a decade ago highly influenced my approach to guitar composition, along with the fact I used to do about two or three hours of home recording every day on bass, guitar and drum machine. I think us bassists would have a lot to give on our own guitar forum.

Another suggestion I floated a while ago (before being shot down in flames) was for a general "instruments that aren't bass" sub-forum- make it invisible to non-members like off-topic is and I don't see how it's diluting the basschat brand any more than having "other musical stuff for sale" and "recycling random junk" sub-forums.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1325698094' post='1486298']
I'd agree that some of the folks inhabiting guitar sites can be a bit anal, but when all's said this is actually a bass site.
[/quote]

Oh the irony. ;)

As another guitarist, but one who seems to be playing more guitar-synth than any other instrument (it's a form of madness, where you feel the need to bust out a riffing horn section or a trilling flute) I don't really mind either way. I quite like Harmony Central - forgave it, went back there after >1 year off and still post occasionally.

But generally speaking, I'd say bass players are probably a bit more pedantic and anal about stuff. You're mostly very concerned about technique and musical theory, while most guitarists work on the principle that scales are for fish and why can't we just jam together instead of worrying about that flattened 5th. I'm not sure it would necessarily bring a lot to *basschat* though it might help a few people. IMO I don't think there are enough guitarists, and particularly guitar noobs, to [s]mock[/s] have questions answered.

I think the Mods, who maintain the site for free, have enough on their plate as is. Frankly a guitar section would swamp us with idiots, and many old established members would get peed of and move on to some more Stalinist forum like Talkbass. Simply because it has no guitar section. Hell if it were up to me I wouldnt even let six string so called basisits in here. Bloody wierdo's, cluttering up the bass lanes with their two extra strings (Do i [i]really[/i] need an emoticon here?)

Seriously, If it aint broke dont try to fix it.

End of.

Edited by daz

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1325713877' post='1486628']

I'd say bass players are probably a bit more pedantic and anal about stuff. You're mostly very concerned about technique and musical theory, while most guitarists work on the principle that scales are for fish and why can't we just jam together instead of worrying about that flattened 5th. I'm not sure it would necessarily bring a lot to *basschat* though it might help a few people. IMO I don't think there are enough guitarists, and particularly guitar noobs, to [s]mock[/s] have questions answered.
[/quote]

Ouch! :blink:

Actually, I suspect I said it mainly because as a guitarist I used to be incredibly anal and was good at spotting it in others - I used to really go for the technical aspects of the instrument. These days, with my thought focussed on the bass, I tend not to worry about such stuff anything like as much.

I do know what you mean though - I used to cruise around the Theory and Technique section a lot (I even wrote a series of articles about the Ancient Greeks - God Help Me), but these days I hardly go there because the same old stuff keeps going round and being dissected in ever-more-minute detail. Boring! (For the record, this is being stated as a personal opinion. If you like Th.&Te. then you'll have a different opinion. That's how it works.)

I've no idea what the guitards would find to talk about. We bassists like exotic woods, different bridges not to mention graphite necks.
If a guitar isn't made of wood they don't want to know.

How long can you talk about wammy bars and systems that have poxy springs, or Strats or Les Pauls before you get fed up with it.

:yarr: :yarr: :yarr: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :sun_bespectacled:

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1325716944' post='1486698']
I've no idea what the guitards would find to talk about. We bassists like exotic woods, different bridges not to mention graphite necks.
If a guitar isn't made of wood they don't want to know.

How long can you talk about wammy bars and systems that have poxy springs, or Strats or Les Pauls before you get fed up with it.
[/quote]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/GusG1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/AndreasBlackShark.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC03082.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC01370.jpg[/IMG]

Need I say any more?

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1325704593' post='1486446']
The only reason I decided to play guitar was because I didn't want to be in a band with a guitarist.
[/quote]

I asked Simon (MacDaddy) to be the lead guitarist in my band - obviously I personally own the band :lol: - because I didn't want to be in a band with a guitarist.

Now look what's happened.

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1325716944' post='1486698']
We bassists like exotic woods, different bridges not to mention graphite necks.
[/quote]

Not judging by the vast majority of "If it's not a Fender it's not a proper bass" & "If a bass has any amount of figuring in the wood whatsoever it's a coffee table" über conservatives there are on here.