Why become a member? ×

Basses you want to love, but can't

skej21

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem, or if I'm just a bit special.

Are there basses that you want to love, but can't? I've found Warwicks are the biggest problem for me in this department. I've tried dozens and everytime I pick one up, there just seems to be something about it that I don't like and puts me off buying it. It's such a shame because I love the style and REALLY love the sound!
(Mainly because of this)

Does anyone else have this problem? Please tell me I'm not alone!

Edited by skej21

Bought a JayDee supernatural.

Was in love for a week, and then just realised i couldn't live with it...

So sad. May just have been that one.

Gibson Ripper...loved the look of them for years, love Rick Danko and Kris Novoselic, so why oh why couldn't i love the sound or playability?

Edited by AndyTravis

I'm finding this to be the case with a Peavey T-40 I got a few weeks ago.

While I like the neck & it's pleasant enough to play sitting around, as soon as I put it on a strap the 10 3/4 lbs weight kills my shoulder & back, the sharp edges of the body dig into my arm and I can't find anywhere comfortable for my right hand.

And with all its undoubted tonal versatility, I can't find a sound that's right for what I want - either that or I give up in agony before I can locate it.

Bloody shame. I wanted one of these for years. :)

Jon.

Iv got my 3 main basses and then an old jackson bass under a bed in my parents home. Its not being used and probably wont be for a while, despite it having an amazing tone. But i just don't have the same connection that i share with the others so i think maybe one day itl be out the door

I had two Warwick 6 strings which both sounded fab. one fretless and one fretted. The fretless had the best sound of the two, it was a really great full bass sound (oh, I still miss the sound) but I found the body to be really uncomfortable and the necks on both were just horrible in terms of the neck profile, just too chunky.

Both sounded great so I really wanted to love them but I couldn't :) I hope they're with someone who does love them.

I've tried all sorts of basses in recent years, and moved most of them on for one reason or another.

The one which most fits this thread, though, has got to be the Fender Jazz.

I'm well aware of what a great instrument it is, how widely used it is, how much of a reference sound it is, and I was desperate to love it ... but it just didn't happen.

Given that I've spent the last couple of years slowly establishing that I'm essentially a Precision type of guy, this shouldn't have been a surprise, but I was genuinely astonished at how little the Jazz called to me while I can barely walk past the rack without picking up a Precision.

Fender precisions,..in fact any thing fender basswise, other than a Jazz,Rickenbackers (looks, cool. sounds,eeewww) and, even though I have one, Ive never gig'd it, a JD(mark King) some tunes need a pick, in my current gig so, I just .....just....cant on a JD
I'd better get another gig eh?

oh and those shuker things with the single cut away .....Im not havin' that.
I bet they sound good though.
W
( I should say I still love my JD even so...)

I hate all gibson Basses though

Edited by witterth

The Fender Jazz is a bass that I simply love the look of, so bought a Classic 70s. Played great, looked fantastic, but every time I played it, it sounded "wrong". As in, it didn`t sound like a Precision. Well duh, it`s not meant to obviously, but I bought it to try and extend my bass playing, only to find, cos it didn`t sound like me, I was actually limiting my playing instead. So sold it to a fellow Basschatter, who hopefully appreciates it, as it was a great bass, just not for me.

Sadowskys, Stingrays and Precisions.

Had a Sado, desparately wanted to love it, but I just didn't, the sound wasn't right, too generic.

Had two 'rays, couldn't get over the silent G problem with either of them, shame, great otherwise.

Had a few Precisions, [i]really[/i] wanted them to ring my bell, but, again, they just don't sound right in my hands.

Played a couple of Warwicks over the years , and everyone was a dog .

Tried a Dolphin 2 with the view to buy at the Gallery , and really loved the look , but it was dreadful . A real shame , as I must be just unlucky judging by the amount of people on here who play them .