Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Good one last night. Marking a year with the band, going back to our "home" venue, also the place I first played with the band on 10th December last year. First half had a few issues... Effects board lost power mid song, so pulled the cable from the board and went direct bass to amp. After the song it turned out plugging my effects power extension into a different socket fired it back up. Then we had an issues with the electronic drums, we had the same in soundcheck but this was really persistent and seemed like it was coming from my bass amp. I was losing volume, or maybe it seemed like that because of the noise coming from a loose connection on the drum kit, and it messed me up for a few songs. I've had issues with the battery pack in the back of my bass coming slightly loose and losing volume so I swapped basses, went direct to amp, tried loads of stuff but just ended up creating more issues. Sorted it all out at half time, second half went without a hitch, all gear worked fine, decent gig with a proper crowd enjoying the festivities. I've been really working on my harmonies and backing vox and feel it's improving a lot. I'm also playing the songs a lot more naturally now rather than desperately trying to remember structures or tricky parts.

FB_IMG_1670695246970.jpg

• Like 10

We were supposed to be playing a gig tonight but the roads north of Aberdeen are really bad, RTCs on both sides of the main dual carriageway heading out of the city.  For safety's sake, considering 3 out of the 4 of us live in the frozen wastes north of Aberdeen, we decided to cancel the gig.  The venue were understanding, which is a bonus.

Stay safe out there, everyone.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Last gig of the year for punk covers band last night.

After 4" snow in morning and the prospect of snow on way home after midnight i wasn't looking forward to the drive across country to Dumfries.

Turned out roads were clear except for my own village road and another 2" snow on my driveway when i got home.

Gig started of quiet with more people watching the footie than us. I could see the large screen in the other room where i was standing and oddly enough there was no reaction either way from the punters in the pub when a goal was had which surprised me in a Scottish pub. 😁

Was a bit busy playing to really watch the game tho so missed all the good bits.

Anyways back to the gig. Started off with approx 20 people in the bar where we were set up but it grew once the footie stopped and we had another great wee night in Dumfries.

Just took one of my Mesa cabs the SW115 and what a tone i was getting from it. Depth but quite clanky top end and that was with the horn OFF. Using the Handbox WB-100 and my new Keeley compressor with the Sandberg MarloweDK which took me a few songs to get the compressor set just right where it was just clipping the top end volumes.

Dave

• Like 11

Very, very cold.

Played The Neon in Newport, which hosted the South Wales Country Music Festival. It’s was absolutely Baltic in the entire venue - no idea what was going on with the heating!

Unsurprisingly a lot of people didn’t stick around but by the time we  went on at around 10 there were a few dozen hardy souls still revved up for some country rock.

It was my first gig with Katy Hurt, and despite the cold it was an absolute blast. Used my Zoot Funkmeister, a tiny bit of compression into my Trace TE-1200 and two Barefaced Two10 cabs and the tone was absolutely bang on. Shame about the cold but we all had fun :)

It was hell of a long day though - we left early doors to get to Newport to rehearse first; and that presented its own challenge with a not-100%-soundproofed studio and a metal band playing full blast next door 😅 Finally left Newport around 12.30am this morning and was home by 3. Freezing fog on the M4 was… fun.

All in all though, the overriding memory will be the 75 minute set and the fun we had despite the cold.

https://www.katyhurt.com

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Very, very cold.

Played The Neon in Newport, which hosted the South Wales Country Music Festival. It’s was absolutely Baltic in the entire venue - no idea what was going on with the heating!

Unsurprisingly a lot of people didn’t stick around but by the time we  went on at around 10 there were a few dozen hardy souls still revved up for some country rock.

It was my first gig with Katy Hurt, and despite the cold it was an absolute blast. Used my Zoot Funkmeister, a tiny bit of compression into my Trace TE-1200 and two Barefaced Two10 cabs and the tone was absolutely bang on. Shame about the cold but we all had fun :)

It was hell of a long day though - we left early doors to get to Newport to rehearse first; and that presented its own challenge with a not-100%-soundproofed studio and a metal band playing full blast next door 😅 Finally left Newport around 12.30am this morning and was home by 3. Freezing fog on the M4 was… fun.

All in all though, the overriding memory will be the 75 minute set and the fun we had despite the cold.

https://www.katyhurt.com

Reminds me of gigs I did on the Nebraska plains during winter. Would love to do some country music!

• Like 1

Back at our favourite venue the coach house in Paignton. Penultimate song in the first set was Enter Sandman and to our surprise 2 old ladies got up to dance. Later I found out they were 78 & 82 and had come from the social club down the road as the band hadn't shown up. I quickly grabbed my phone force photosduring the middle section were i played open E. They were up dancing again later too. 

20221210_222542_compress61.jpg

Edited by mep
  • Like 8

Played the local Crown Court Xmas bash last night with the Hulla Band - the singer works there. Medium sized room with a good crowd. We started early, while the football was still on, and played beneath the big screen. It being a Welsh audience, there was not too much disappointment at the outcome but we did pause for both England penalties. Lots of dancing and singing along and the right mix of Xmas songs and our standard set list. As you can see from the photo, I went in my pyjama top. 😃 (I had a waistcoat ready but with the 'on-off' start as we debated whether to start before the football finished, I suddenly found myself playing the opening riffs with nothing to tame the shirt!)

DSCG0022-1.thumb.jpg.44f4f3f8d3157512b75012cab96a4f13.jpg

DSCG0003-1.thumb.jpg.502cb656802092664431a01592618cf6.jpg

DSCG9979-1.thumb.jpg.1b5323408e04e5fe63409fa6f0ba87ec.jpg

• Like 10

Nice gig last night in one of our fave venues, the Esplanade Club by Watchet harbour on the West Somerset coast. As well as the easy load-in with parking outside the front door, we had the pleasure (?!) of watching a crucial football game before we 'kicked off'.

When we arrived, in addition to the big projector screen there were lots of big tellies dotted around the place and I said "We're stuck for choice here, which one are we gonna watch?", "None of them!" was the quick response from our guitarist's girlfriend. Which explains why she had a much better night than the rest of us - enough said.

Sadly, the knock-on effect from Harry failing to notice his loose boot-lace before taking the second penalty was that we didn't get the usual big Esplanade crowd. Presumably those who were planning to watch the game at home and come out for a few celebratory bevvies afterwards were instead hanging by the neck from some handy tree or lamp-post by the time we started at 9.30. We did get a few French tourists in though (only kidding 😊).

But I digress. There was still a decent turnout of appreciative punters and we were at the top of our game - unlike.... (never mind). As always, my evening was rescued by the gig money, and somewhat unexpectedly by a new piece of kit that I was gigging for the first time. Not a new bass or amp (the things I get most excited about) but a new speaker cab from a new manufacturer - who happens to be a Basschat member!! The new brand is LFSys and the designer/builder is our Stevie, already known to many from the self-build cab project on here. I've followed the DIY project with interest including demo's at our S-W Bass Bash over the last few years but what Stevie has done with this production version is amazing.

Sod the football! A killer new cab is much more important.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Played a private party. Singer created some novel song arrangements. Did more bvs than usual, discovered I can play merry Christmas everybody and sing it, (at the same time) which is s major personal achievement!

Not the easiest to sing and play - not exactly root-5th.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Not the easiest to sing and play - not exactly root-5th.

I found Jimmy Lea tends to keep his left hand in same position a lot and just moves it up and down the fretboard. He's an amazing player and so fluent in his playing.

Dave

• Like 3

On 11/12/2022 at 02:52, dmccombe7 said:

Last gig of the year for punk covers band last night.

After 4" snow in morning and the prospect of snow on way home after midnight i wasn't looking forward to the drive across country to Dumfries.

Turned out roads were clear except for my own village road and another 2" snow on my driveway when i got home.

Gig started of quiet with more people watching the footie than us. I could see the large screen in the other room where i was standing and oddly enough there was no reaction either way from the punters in the pub when a goal was had which surprised me in a Scottish pub. 😁

Was a bit busy playing to really watch the game tho so missed all the good bits.

Anyways back to the gig. Started off with approx 20 people in the bar where we were set up but it grew once the footie stopped and we had another great wee night in Dumfries.

Just took one of my Mesa cabs the SW115 and what a tone i was getting from it. Depth but quite clanky top end and that was with the horn OFF. Using the Handbox WB-100 and my new Keeley compressor with the Sandberg MarloweDK which took me a few songs to get the compressor set just right where it was just clipping the top end volumes.

Dave

Sounds like it was a fun gig. We're playing The Blondi Pop in West Bend this Sat night. I hope it doesn't snow.

I always turn the horns off on my GK cabs, our sound software doesn't like them.

Daryl

• Like 2

Last night there was an extra jazz jam in the usual pub, but tucked away in an area with a low ceiling to free up more space for dining. Therefore, I took a fretless bass guitar rather than a double bass so that I could much more easily fit into the space.
I overheard a guitarist complaining to the drummer that "there's nothing quite like the sound of a double bass, though." As I said to him at the time, there's nothing quite like the sound of a bass guitar either; it's a great instrument that is not necessarily inferior to the upright, merely different.

As it happens it was rather pleasant session; I got to sit in a comfy chair and play for two hours without having sore fingers at the end, as well as taking various solos in what would be thumb position without having to worry too much about dodgy intonation or fumbling the strings. The next one is in the same place so I look forward to another relaxing evening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, knirirr said:

Last night there was an extra jazz jam in the usual pub, but tucked away in an area with a low ceiling to free up more space for dining. Therefore, I took a fretless bass guitar rather than a double bass so that I could much more easily fit into the space.
I overheard a guitarist complaining to the drummer that "there's nothing quite like the sound of a double bass, though." As I said to him at the time, there's nothing quite like the sound of a bass guitar either; it's a great instrument that is not necessarily inferior to the upright, merely different.

As it happens it was rather pleasant session; I got to sit in a comfy chair and play for two hours without having sore fingers at the end, as well as taking various solos in what would be thumb position without having to worry too much about dodgy intonation or fumbling the strings. The next one is in the same place so I look forward to another relaxing evening.

Have you tried a uke bass? I wouldn’t be without mine, and its made many a doubter eat their words!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Have you tried a uke bass? I wouldn’t be without mine, and its made many a doubter eat their words!

I have indeed! The sound was nice but I found the neck small and fiddly and it was hard to tune. A shame as it would be good for this jam. 

• Like 1

My blues-rock trio Toredown supported Dr Feelgood at Venue 77, Ipswich last night.  Freezing, -3C when I left home at 3.50pm.  What should have been a 1hr 5 minute trip took 2hrs 10mins, traffic was a nightmare, got there at 6pm for the 5.30pm setp up 🤪 I needn't have worried as everyone was running late.  The Feelgood guys weren't there either, nor was one of the sound guys.  I toddled off for a chicken shish, came back whilst the main guys were setting up, although their singer was still not there. 

Anyhow, all was well.  Doors opened late at 7.30, we kicked off at 8pm to a largely filled room.  I don't honestly think we could have played any better and we really went down well.  A couple of people said they came just to see us!  Loads of great comments afterwards, notaby from the gig promoter, MC for the night, DJ and local music celeb, Foz, who said some really fab stuff about us when we had done.  One of those real 'warm glow inside, still smiling about it' type of gigs.  I didn't stay for all the Feelgood gig as I wanted to head off home before it got too cold/late.  Journey home took half as long.  Next one is the end of January.  I love this band 😍

Awful pic from someone's Facebook page who was there.

320452032_661108958826609_42860729121774

• Like 18

Had a decent gig last night at the Rigger in Newcastle under Lyme. A49 had been closed much of the day due to an accident, and the usual poor diversion signing meant half the band didn't arrive till the moment our soundcheck was due to start (I was on time, being a bit anal I'd checked traffic before leaving 😁).

We played well, a couple of Headstocks came to see us but due to being 1st on at a metal night there were only 20-30 there to see us.

And despite a stupidly loud kick drum (why?) Nobody threw tomatoes or nuffink. Sound man liked us, said we sounded like some incredibly obscure math punk(?) band none of us had heard of. 

Still, we got paid, though our drummer somehow left his jacket and cowbell behind!

Edit: spellcheck don't know what Headsticks are! 

And we also managed to take the other band's bass stand, due to over-exuberant sound bloke wanting to completely clear the stage...

FB_IMG_1671232954645.thumb.jpg.223c3a9ac0f83b6e5fe41e184e722372.jpg

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 10

Does a Jam night count as a gig?  I found one at MacAfferty’s in Epsom so went to it on Thursday.  The guys who I was supposed to be playing  with (whom I had never met) weren’t able to go, so the band running it (Prime Numbers) kindly allowed me to join them for a couple of err………. numbers.  I’d played both of them on keys in a band 25 years ago, but this was the 1st time on bass.  I sight read it from a chord sheet.

I’m playing it on my Ibanez Headless shortscale -it’s lighter when walking is involved and I’d feeling it would be cramped on stage (it was). The fret markers are luminous, but I didn’t charge them so I’m playing half blind so to speak - that was an interesting experience.

i enjoyed playing. The night itself was good fun - the pub was full and the audience ( Jam Night, so I was part of the crowd for most of it) looked to be enjoying it.

The video link is (courtesy of my daughter who amazingly decided she’d come out with her Dad 😀) to Make Me Smile by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel.

https://youtu.be/H3pvMX51Y2k

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Does a Jam night count as a gig?  I found one at MacAfferty’s in Epsom so went to it on Thursday.  The guys who I was supposed to be playing  with (whom I had never met) weren’t able to go, so the band running it (Prime Numbers) kindly allowed me to join them for a couple of err………. numbers.  I’d played both of them on keys in a band 25 years ago, but this was the 1st time on bass.  I sight read it from a chord sheet.

I’m playing it on my Ibanez Headless shortscale -it’s lighter when walking is involved and I’d feeling it would be cramped on stage (it was). The fret markers are luminous, but I didn’t charge them so I’m playing half blind so to speak - that was an interesting experience.

i enjoyed playing. The night itself was good fun - the pub was full and the audience ( Jam Night, so I was part of the crowd for most of it) looked to be enjoying it.

The video link is (courtesy of my daughter who amazingly decided she’d come out with her Dad 😀) to Make Me Smile by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel.

https://youtu.be/H3pvMX51Y2k

Just a great classic song. Well done. I love playing that song altho my own band doesn't play it. Not a bad jam night there i reckon.

Well done.

Dave

• Thanks 1

St. Nicholas' Cathedral, Newcastle. It was the post-covid return of a regular Christmas concert, which raises money for the Sir Bobby Robson foundation. 800-seats, all sold out.

Quite a few different singers from Tyneside, including Lorraine Crosby (who sang the 'I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) with Meatloaf), Jill Halfpenny, and the Canon of Newcastle Cathedral who, it turns out, is an amazing jazz vocalist.

I MD'd the show, which has its own challenges as we can't get all the artists in a room at the same time at any point beforehand. It also involves liaising with the choirmaster over the arrangements.

One of the artists had to pull out on the morning of the show due to ill health, so we had to quickly find two other singers to cover his songs in the same key and arrangement...  a stressful morning, but somehow we managed it.

As usual we had a Rolls-Royce team in to do the PA - the acoustics are a nightmare for amplification, so we keep the stage and FOH volume down, and spread the boxes around the room.

Here's a clip of one of the songs, sung by Aaron from local up-and-comers Hector Gannet. He was one of the last-minute replacements, who we asked to sing the song that morning. He nailed it.

Here's some behind-the-scenes shots I took.

PC150245.thumb.jpg.c996b89110d9c7ffbb13c6d8dc27a47b.jpg

PC150256.thumb.jpg.d1f7f2646fa9326aca05edeec8dcfd30.jpg

PC150268.thumb.jpg.1eefd3e559e57dcc700b69a766874db2.jpg

PC150291.thumb.jpg.ff023706dd0b64a842b8bcbbc8c3155c.jpg

PC150261.thumb.jpg.37664f7ef5a96b5f71d222e0723853d0.jpg

PC150243.thumb.jpg.547889977cb3c7d8e278a411efe400e8.jpg

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 18