Why become a member? ×

Who Has More Than One "Rig"?

Phaedrus

Hi.

I mean who has, for example, a combo[i] and[/i] a stack?

I'm sure there are times when a 100w combo is enough, but there are also times when a 500w head + a 15" cab + a 4x10" cab are needed. So who has such a stable?

I know a guy in the real world who has an Ampeg stack (1x15" + 4x10") and a combo. He also has a Warwick Thumb 5 bolt-on, a 70's Stingray, a Thunderbird, a Precision and a couple of other tasty basses.

I've currently got a Peavey TNT150BW combo, but fancy a replacement. I'd like a Tour 450 amp & TVX410 cab, but the weight & expense could scupper my aspirations to the point where I may have to opt for something like a Kustom KBA210C. Maybe the stack would follow . . .

Mark

I have my main rig and a little Hartke A70 practice amp (which can actually go pretty darn loud).

Currently putting together a mini rig comprising a Superfly and a small homebuild cab for something lighter for EUB jams, also can leave it in practice rooms with no worries about security

Nothing wrong with having multiple rigs!

I like to have a second rig or at least some kind of back up.

My main thing at the moment is my Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout combo but I take a Little Mark II with me to gigs as a back up. I'm without any other cabs for the LMII at the moment but a pair of 1x12 or 1x15 will be coming in to fill out the second rig. Meanwhile I always have access through friends to other cabs if I need them - usually an Ampeg 4x10.

I have two lightweight and sensitive cabs that I can use with a range of heads. Or I can use one cab by itself if I need a smaller rig. For practice I have my laptop, USB guitarlink, Guitar Rig 3, USB foot controller and some earphones.

My experience with Guitar Rig software has bordered on the verge of an epiphany so I'm now thinking about taking those wedge speaker plans I had a few months back and turning them into a pair of active wedge cabs. Then all I'd need to do is show up to a gig with the laptop, footcontroller, USB link and a wedge.

Bass amp be damned! :)

I got the MPulse & Bergs, and a Walkabout Scout.

The Scout is for jamming in the house, rehearsals, open mics, small gigs with or without a drummer, and larger gigs whem I'm feeling lazy and have PA support.. the head is also removable, so it also serves as a backup amp (which hopefully will never be needed).

I thought about selling it recently, but that was a stupid idea.

I've got a combination of virtually endless opportunity.
For rehearsals and city gigs I use my MB F1 with a MB 102p.
For larger gigs I'll use my MB TA503 linked to an Aphex aural exciter. Any combination of cabs.
For much larger gigs I can use all my cabs and dual amp with both heads.
Also got my Bass Pod XT Pro into a Peavey PV2600 power amp.
Spoilt for choice really.... :)

I do a wide range of gigs where different rigs are needed;
[list]
[*]The acoustic duo gets the LM2 and AE112.
[*]Any recording gets the Thunderfunk and the AE112
[*]Most other bands get the Thunderfunk and the AE112 and AE210.
[*]Louder bands get the Thunderfunk with the Epifani 410 and the AE210.
[*]Jam nights get the SVT3 with the Epifani 410 and the AE210.
[/list]

Edited by chris_b

I've got a lovely Markbass Jeff Berlin combo-very light & loud but have recently got some Ashdown cabs at a bargain price so i plan to use the Jeff Berlin head (LMII) with the ashdowns or i've got an old Eden WT800A which i'm becoming rather fond of again.

I have a GK 700RB with a Loud 4x10 for main gigs.
Then a vintage (80's) GK 800RB that I use with a Loud 1x15 for pub gigs etc.
Also a 2x15 EV loaded cab that can be used with either setup when necessary!

Still thinking of the going down the MarkBass route though, after all the glowing reports on here.
Also looking at a Barefaced Compact cab when funds allow,after trying one on the demo run organized by Alex.

I’ve actually got three rigs these days:

1. a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse in a rack with a SPX90 & a tuner with two SWR Goliath 4x10s – this is used in a band that always has a van at its disposal
2. a Markbass 3x10 combo – used for another band where I have to gig out the back of my car (thru I do prefer the boogie rig the MB is much lighter / portable and sounds great)
3. I have a Hartke 3500 that I use as a back up to the boogie also a SWR Goliath 6x10 living in a rehearsal studio at the moment – a great cab that I am sure I will use again in the not too distant future

I have 3 rigs.

My main rig is a Bass Pod XT Pro, Peterson Strobo Rack and Tech Soundsystems Black Cat amp in a Boschma 6U rack case driving a EBS Proline 210 and 410 speaker system.

However the EBS speakers are stupidly heavy and I can't carry the 410 on my own so I most often use the rack with the speakers from my second rig:

Bass Pod XT and Ashdown Superfly driving Dr Bass 210 and 1260 cabs. This would be a great portable mid-sized rig if the Ashdown amp was more reliable and sounded as good as the Black Cat.

I also still have my first decent bass rig that I used for the whole of the 90s in SugarBox: Peavey BassFex and Spectrum Filter running in Bi-Amp mode into a Carlsbro 2x300W 2U rack poweramp driving a home-made 2x8" cab for the top and a Carlsbro 1x15" cab for the bottom. Sounded great at the time but the rack part is way too heavy and now serious underpowered compared with modern systems. I only really still have it because most of the items in the rig are unsaleable.

3 rigs for me. Nothing really fancy or technical.

EBS Fafner through Trace elliot 1518 and 1028H Cabs. Gigs when we have a van.

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout. Gigs when sharing a car/getting to and from gig in a taxi

An old Trace Elliot GP7SM 300 combo. When I have to supply a bassamp for all the bands playing a gig and I'm not familiar with the other bassists there (or I know that they are clueless!). For some reason I just don't trust other bass players when it comes to tube pre-amps so the Mesa is out of the question. Also, I bankrupted myself to get the Mesa, why should someone else get to enjoy it for free? Also, the Trace is a good combo, so I'm not exactly being unkind to them!