Why become a member? ×

If you could master just one bassline as a party piece which would it be

13 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Not found a bass line yet that I couldn't master given sufficient time and determination, and that's with two fingers that don't work properly.

Good luck

I prefer my ham fisted inaccurate impersonations of all basslines.

I can’t even master half of my own 😂

She Caught The Katy - I was pretty chuffed when I found my feet with that fairly easy for a mates 40th - I recall being baffled by it when I was a much younger Duck Dunn fan.

I also enjoyed nailing Come On, Come over in full - on fretless. Couldn’t do it now without going through the process again.

the only bassline I can play flawlessly without issue is please do not go by the violent femmes - including the solo bit.

That was my party piece for years - nobody was impressed only about 3 people I’ve spoken to actually know the song…

Big Bottom is my soundcheck riff. 

• Like 3

There's loads of songs I'd love to be able to play fully and accurately, but as this is a Party Piece, I'll say either Dragon Attack or The Invisible Man, both by Queen/John Deacon.

Mark

The outro of Two Minutes to Midnight by Iron Maiden. I've been playing the bass line almost like for like for years , but never actually took time to learn the outro part properly, just improvise it each time I play it.

You can learn anything if you just play it a thousand times, then a thousand times more. Most people, including myself, can't be bothered putting in the time. Oh, to have those teenage bedroom years back again. All you had was time to practice.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Good luck

None of that is especially challenging on a technical level. The real issue is that there's a lot of it and much of it isn't repeated.

I wouldn't foresee an issue there, beyond being able to find the sheet music for it (I can only find it for piano) so it'd be a long grind with the GB-10, and learning by ear is my least favourite method.

Edited by Bassfinger

Follow the light by dirty loops. I’m sure it’s perfectly playable, there doesn’t seem anything that appears impossible - just way beyond what I’d be willing to invest in terms of time to learn just for giggles, unless it was going in a covers set. I know I should be learning for the sake of self betterment - but. 
I guess I’m just too lazy/busy! Amazing tune though  

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

None of that is especially challenging on a technical level. The real issue is that there's a lot of it and much of it isn't repeated.

I wouldn't foresee an issue there, beyond being able to find the sheet music for it (I can only find it for piano) so it'd be a long grind with the GB-10, and learning by ear is my least favourite method.

Ah. Right.

On 25/04/2024 at 11:20, Dan Dare said:

Good luck

I know my capabilities and no way could I play that, not only is it full of ghost notes, it’s a speed my fingers don’t go to, I could do a root fifth slow version 😁

• Like 1

Not especially challenging for a lot of the people here, but this is definitely something I want to learn as a party piece. 

I'll have to learn to play it fingerstyle first,  playing with a pick is a whole world of confusion for me.

• Like 1

I'd like to be able to produce something a bit like this... 

Party piece:

Plus the tone and pure groove of this - BTW, the SI unit of cool is the Bootsy, with a theoretical max of 1 Bootsy as epitomised by the man himself. Most folks get into the milliBbotsy range!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Ah. Right.

Got about 40 seconds of it down messing about by ear last night while the Missus was out at a show.

It's tedious, not my type of music and ear learning is so slow, particularly if I don't know the song, but I'll have another fiddle with it later.

Its not difficult, it's just a dull process.

A party piece should be a tune very one knows really, that’s why Simon Fitzpatrick’s let it go arrangement is so brilliant.

Once upon a time I learned super Mario on bass like this: 

It tended to be my audition piece.

• Like 1

I'd like to be able to play any bass line well!

Two that spring to mind are; "Let The Sunshine" as played by Joe Osborne on the 5th Dimension version and "Tin Man" by America.