Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stone's 'Top 100 Drummists'.

Drums is/are my main instrument so i was casually interested to see it, though not expecting much after the bobbins that was the greatest 250 guitarists.  That Meg White's in there didn't fill me with hope. Actually as far as lists go it's not bad, though no way would I include Bonham, Moon and Mitchell in the top 10.

My top 10 , in no order; Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Billy Cobham (ridiculously low on the list), Jo Jones, Tony Williams, Jack de Johnette, Bill Bruford, Dennis Chambers. Yeah it's heavily geared towards jazzers but IMO the great jazz drummers are a breed apart.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

My top 10 , in no order; Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Billy Cobham (ridiculously low on the list), Jo Jones, Tony Williams, Jack de Johnette, Bill Bruford, Dennis Chambers. Yeah it's heavily geared towards jazzers but IMO the great jazz drummers are a breed apart.

No Elvin?! 😯

"Pete Thomas is the rock and roll drummer of his generation by some considerable distance," Costello tweeted last year, "and that you never read that in polls tells you everything you need to know about 'polls' and nothing about drummers."

"Meanwhile, despite his recent retirement from touring, Peart remains perhaps the most revered – and air-drummed-to – live sticksman in all of rock, famous as the architect of literally showstopping set-piece solos." Strangest way to say Neil Peart died...

No Gavin Harrison?

Garbage.

Danny Carey and Ronald Shannon Jackson is on it, so I am all fine...

Knowing how these Top 100 Musician lists works I am not too nit picking about their position, where, especially in Ronald Shannon Jackson case, they in reality ought to have been rated higher.

I am just glad they weren't left out.

However I couldn't have taken a Top 100 Drummers in a Rock magazine serious (not that I really do anyway) if they had left out Danny Carey.

Danny Carey truly is one of the absolute greatest rock drummers of all times.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

I hadn't forgotten him as I could've easily had him in there too plus many more jazzers and funakateers so I tried to limit myself to just 10

Just love his explosive snare hits - drives Hard Bop  like no other.

Just gone through the list again  and checked out many unfamiliar players and have revised my opinion. Actually it's a pretty rubbish list. I lean towards jazz and funk drumming but I've a lot of respect for metal and proggy drummers, many that are not included or are rated lowly: Tomas Haake, Marco Minnemann, Mike Portnoy, Charlie Benante, Chris Adler, Mario Duplantier, Joey Jordison and Matt Garstka. I'd kick out all of the 'indie rock' drummers and many who happen to be in famous bands included to make space.

From the jazz side there's no Louis Belson, Jimmy Cobb, Art Taylor, Joe Morello, Chico Hamilton, Roy Haynes anxd Kenny Clarke. Ay caramba. Be good to hear what other drummists in the BC community think.  I think it's a readers choice list which would explain it. 

It claims to be a "greatest" list, not best. Greatness does not necessarily correllate with technical abililty, nor do they even specify it's about drumming greatness, just drummers of unspecified greatness, so they have given themselves carte blanche to add anyone at all. You could argue Meg White displayed greatness through the level of popularity the White Stripes achieved with such limited ability on the drum stool. Rick Allen, carving out a career as a one-armed drummer, is pretty great, in my opinion, but I wouldn't want him in a death metal band... yet.

Click bait list click click click.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2024 at 00:33, Barking Spiders said:

Drums is/are my main instrument so i was casually interested to see it, though not expecting much after the bobbins that was the greatest 250 guitarists.  That Meg White's in there didn't fill me with hope. Actually as far as lists go it's not bad, though no way would I include Bonham, Moon and Mitchell in the top 10.

I changed my mind about Bonham’s playing as a result of having to learn some of his parts and thus you end up doing a lot of research to get it right. Not because of the technicality in playing his rhythms, as you say jazz drummers are the masters and a breed apart, but because I began to realise how many zep songs you can identify just from the drums. 
As for great drummers, one of the top me is Papa Jo Jones. He was an early proponent of the hi hat and bringing the drums forward as something other than just a basic timekeeper. Also, I use his ‘trick’ of having a floor tom to the left of the hi hat as I find this is a great way of making more interesting fill patterns. 

For me, the best drummers are the drummers that can do it all, from heavy rock, to jazz trios. Most drummers who play with the same band for years, only have the one style. I wonder, does that make them a great drummer, or just a great drummer for that particular band.

I watched Dave Grohl sit in the drum stool with The Pretenders at Glastonbury and his style wasn't right for the song (far too messy).