Why become a member? ×

Songs that you hate with a passion

20 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

yep, I'm a big Beatles fan but I get fed up with most singles because they get played so often, thankfully they're one of the few bands where album tracks, non singles, also get played.

Not big Queen fan but even less so now, I listen to, mostly 3 stations for music, being an old fart, they're Gold, Virgin anthems and Absolute classic rock, a Queen song was being played on all 3 the other day 😓.

Oldies stations have so  many songs to choose from why do the same ones keep cropping up?

I don't mind Queen but radio overplays to death  I want to break free, Don't stop me now, Kind of magic, Radio gaga , Somebody to love, You're my best friend. Not even BoRap gets as much airplay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

Oldies stations have so  many songs to choose from why do the same ones keep cropping up?

That's why I've drifted over to Boom Radio . They play the oldies you've maybe

forgotten rather than the obvious stuff which gets very tedious. Give it a try.

• Like 3

On 19/04/2024 at 12:06, Barking Spiders said:

They sure get overplayed on the likes of Heart, Smooth and Absolute. Back in the day it was kinda heretical to profess a dislike of the Eurythmics. As well as There Must Be...equally turnoffable IMO are Sweet Dreams, Who's That Girl, Right By Your side and Thorn In My Side.  ABBA i don't mind. Can't think of any of their songs have me booting the radio out through the window

I like Annie Lennox; she seems a very nice, talented person and singer. I just really dislike her voice.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

yeah she comes across as a good sort so I feel a bit uncomfortable not liking her vocals either

The same goes for Joan Baez. Her tremolo makes me run for cover.

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

yeah she comes across as a good sort so I feel a bit uncomfortable not liking her vocals either

Likewise , my guilty dislike is the way Tina Turner seemed to often "squeeze" out her vocals. A great performer and all. 

A long car journey with a diet solely of Eurythmics cassettes was a sort of aversion untherapy experience 

Did someone say White Rabbit?

Well, I've always enjoyed this post punk/psyche early 80's very messy self indulgent wig out by The Damned. Featuring some very up front Ric bass and lovely not quite in tune vocals by Dave Vanian. 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2024 at 18:29, casapete said:

I absolutely love this tune. Just over 2 minutes of brilliance, especially the bass part (Tommy Cogbill?).

Taken from what is often regarded as one of the best albums ever, ‘Dusty in Memphis’.

Good that we all have diverse views on this topic though. 😄

Always a Dusty fan but there are many versions of son of a preacher man and when I started the car up yesterday Jazz FM played the very excellent Mavis Staples version. 

Edited by Cliff Edge
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marky L said:

Well, I've always enjoyed this post punk/psyche early 80's very messy self indulgent wig out by The Damned. Featuring some very up front Ric bass and lovely not quite in tune vocals by Dave Vanian. 

Well I got to 3 mins 45 secs , and this imho is much better than the original . 🙂👍

• Like 1

On 22/04/2024 at 23:32, chriswareham said:

Ah, Manic Street Preachers.

The band that have been releasing the same one f*cking song their entire f*cking career.

I remember when the NME and Melody Maker journos first started claiming they were the next big thing, and saying they were the "new Clash". If the band member who used to mime on guitar hadn't disappeared, making said journos guilty about starting their "we built them up, we'll knock them down" ego w*nk, than they'd have been consigned to history a long time ago.

The Holy Bible is a great album and nothing like their other stuff. If you like raw, angry with great riffs, you might enjoy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HMX said:

The Holy Bible is a great album and nothing like their other stuff. If you like raw, angry with great riffs, you might enjoy.

That's crazy talk - we all know The Intense Humming Of Evil sounds exactly like Your Love Alone Is Not Enough, which also sounds the same as Europa Geht Durch Mich!

• Haha 1

Adele, her entire back catalogue. 

Every song seems to be about getting dumped. Not a single song about cooking a full English or having a booze fueled horizontal dancing session after a night out. Maybe there's a link there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/04/2024 at 10:22, Marky L said:

As much as I love the first Damned album, when Paul Gray joined them on bass, that was a class move. I loved his playing on all the Eddie & The Hot Rods records, but with the Damned he just had a bit more bite. Brilliant cover version btw ❤️

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ashborygirl said:

Teenage Kicks. Eulogized by the sort of psueds that make up the Later With Jools Holland audience, I could pick a dozen better songs from The Undertones.  

I have to agree, whilst I don’t dislike Teenage Kicks there are much better songs from The Undertones, You’ve Got My Number, Wednesday Week, Julie Ocean to name a few which are all quite different showing just how good a band they were.

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Every song seems to be about getting dumped. Not a single song about cooking a full English or having a booze fueled horizontal dancing session after a night out. Maybe there's a link there.

What about that song on 25, "I made millions from singing about you dumping me, you bastard, so up yours"?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Not a fan myself , but Zander Zon does fantastic covers of her stuff on you tube . 

We're going to do "Live forever" by Oasis at some future point. That means I've got to listen to that scratchy whiney Mancunian voice several times while I play along to it. I think it'll get channelled into Moises to get the vocals split out.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Clarky said:

Controversial, as so many BCers seem to adore them, but ELO's Mister Blue Sky

Smug, sub-Beatles fluff (IMO)with a really annoying electronic vocal part "Mr Blue Sky - Mis - ter - Blue - Sky- yiye" ugh

It's great. And the processed vocal bit is the best bit 🙂

18 hours ago, Clarky said:

Smug, sub-Beatles fluff (IMO)with a really annoying electronic vocal part "Mr Blue Sky - Mis - ter - Blue - Sky- yiye" ugh

I agree, especially about that wretched processed/synthetic vocal.

19 hours ago, Clarky said:

I must admit I never liked that 

19 hours ago, tauzero said:

We're going to do "Live forever" by Oasis at some future point. That means I've got to listen to that scratchy whiney Mancunian voice several times while I play along to it. 

I have the advantage of having a blanket ban on oasis.