Why become a member? ×

Songs that you hate with a passion

7 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Back on topic ; Son of a preacher man ...awful..awful..awful 

I absolutely love this tune. Just over 2 minutes of brilliance, especially the bass part (Tommy Cogbill?).

Taken from what is often regarded as one of the best albums ever, ‘Dusty in Memphis’.

Good that we all have diverse views on this topic though. 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

I absolutely love this tune. Just over 2 minutes of brilliance, especially the bass part (Tommy Cogbill?).

Taken from what is often regarded as one of the best albums ever, ‘Dusty in Memphis’.

Good that we all have diverse views on this topic though. 😄

Indeed, I too love Son of a Preacher Man. I also love White Rabbit, which is getting a right kicking in this thread.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

Indeed, I too love Son of a Preacher Man. I also love White Rabbit, which is getting a right kicking in this thread.

White Rabbit really kicks the a$$ !!! 😝:dash1:

Edited by nilorius

4 hours ago, casapete said:

I actually didn't like the song until I had to learn the bassline, but quite a few songs have been like that!

• Like 2

On 13/04/2024 at 20:36, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Jefferson airplaine -white rabbit 

Haha...I really like the George Benson version of White Rabbit.

😁

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

Mull of Kintyre, which, being a Forest supporter is a real problem for me, when I used to go to matches I used to dread the start of the second half when the whole ground sings "City Ground oh mist rolling in from the Trent", part of the reason I don't go anymore, at least when they're on TV I Can mute the sound.

• Haha 2

There are too many songs to list that I'm utterly bored with, because they have long been played to death on radio and elsewhere.

But only two songs spring to mind that I hate with such a passion that they compel me to switch stations or turn them off when they are played:

• There Must be an Angel (playing with my heart) - Eurythmics
  • Winner Takes it All - Abba

38 minutes ago, Krysbass said:

There are too many songs to list that I'm utterly bored with, because they have long been played to death on radio and elsewhere.

But only two songs spring to mind that I hate with such a passion that they compel me to switch stations or turn them off when they are played:

They sure get overplayed on the likes of Heart, Smooth and Absolute. Back in the day it was kinda heretical to profess a dislike of the Eurythmics. As well as There Must Be...equally turnoffable IMO are Sweet Dreams, Who's That Girl, Right By Your side and Thorn In My Side.  ABBA i don't mind. Can't think of any of their songs have me booting the radio out through the window

59 minutes ago, Agent 00Soul said:

What don't you like about Jefferson Airplane?

Psychedelic Rock,Folk Rock whatever you want to call it does nothing for me,this band epitomises that dislike.

• Like 2

I have been along this dark path on Basschat before. From five years ago:

On 02/10/2019 at 02:15, Pseudonym said:

Here's a glimpse into my little corner of this abyss:

"Joy to the World" (1970/71), by Three Dog Night. I managed to get through the first three decades of my life without hearing this song. I think of those as “the lucky years”.

"I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)" (1993), by Meat Loaf. I had a mate whose girlfriend loved this song. To indulge her, he’d turn up the car radio and she’d sing along. After two weeks with the song at number one in the charts, I hated the song. After three weeks, I hated the girlfriend. After four weeks, I hated the entire concept of human love. The fact that Mr. Blobby eventually downsized Mr. Loaf in the charts was a Pyrrhic victory, to say the least.

"Theme from M.A.S.H. (Suicide Is Painless)" (1992), by the Manic Street Preachers. I don’t care that it was for charity. I’m not feeling charitable. A Hi-NRG version of "Strange Fruit" would be less misjudged.

I need a drink.

• Haha 1

Ah, Manic Street Preachers.

The band that have been releasing the same one f*cking song their entire f*cking career.

I remember when the NME and Melody Maker journos first started claiming they were the next big thing, and saying they were the "new Clash". If the band member who used to mime on guitar hadn't disappeared, making said journos guilty about starting their "we built them up, we'll knock them down" ego w*nk, than they'd have been consigned to history a long time ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, chriswareham said:

The band that have been releasing the same one f*cking song their entire f*cking career.

I remember when the NME and Melody Maker journos first started claiming they were the next big thing, and saying they were the "new Clash". If the band member who used to mime on guitar hadn't disappeared, making said journos guilty about starting their "we built them up, we'll knock them down" ego w*nk, than they'd have been consigned to history a long time ago.

Deary me 🤣

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, chriswareham said:

I must say , I totally agree with you 😂. I never got the big hype about them .

Back on track , I think that 'Design for life ' is absolute drivel . 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2024 at 11:21, Krysbass said:

I'm an Abba fan , and have the cd box set of all their albums 😬

However , I do see where you are coming from . Overplayed on radio, although I'd say Dancing Queen ( or Quentin as my chellspecker just told me ) is the one that's played the most. I got bored of very quickly but don't mind it now.

As for Eurythmics , I agree with you . I don't get the big deal about them . 

10 hours ago, chriswareham said:

I see NME and Melody Maker journous and 'ego w*nk' in the same paragraph, I upvote! 

MSP wern't the only band they did tbis with. 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2024 at 11:21, Krysbass said:

yep, I'm a big Beatles fan but I get fed up with most singles because they get played so often, thankfully they're one of the few bands where album tracks, non singles, also get played.

Not big Queen fan but even less so now, I listen to, mostly 3 stations for music, being an old fart, they're Gold, Virgin anthems and Absolute classic rock, a Queen song was being played on all 3 the other day 😓.

Oldies stations have so  many songs to choose from why do the same ones keep cropping up?