Why become a member? ×

This community

Rayman

Love this place, spend a lot of time here, don't post a heck of a lot, but I end up deleting a lot of comments just before I post em in reply to some folks who appear to delight in being obtuse and/or trollish....."If ya can't say something nice......" that sort of thing.  I've learned a heck of a lot, met some lovely people, and hopefully imparted just a smidgeon of knowledge back as well!

• Like 7

What a lovely post/thread.  In a world which appears to be focussed on what the individual can get out of it, it's nice to have a place like BC where, while it's not perfect (what is?) at least tries and succeeds in the most part to nurture a community spirit and celebration of what unites us (duh, it's bass).  Lang may its lum reek!  (That's "long may its chimney smoke", you sassenachs ;)). 

I know I sometimes put my foot in it - in my defence when I'm being sarcastic, it's usually coming from a place of humour.  I know humour is subjective and mine can be an acquired taste sometimes that no-one wants to acquire.  Let me take this opportunity to apologise to anyone I've offended or ticked off because I chose the wrong moment to make light of something, or took something the wrong way and ran headlong with it through the nearest brick wall.

I've been here since just before it transitioned from Bassworld to Basschat, and it's always been a great source of info, cameraderie and wallet draining opportunities.  I disappeared for a while - I guess I was just getting a bit bassed out.  What brought me back?  Someone had a question about a Gibson bass, and someone here remembered that I might have a thing or two to contribute so took the time to DM me and ask if I'd chip in.  That brought me to my senses and rekindled my appreciation for this place as a community and source of support and knowledge on our weird little enclave in a world filled with guitarists.

All the best to you and yours, keep holding down the low end, and I'll see you at the bar.

• Like 9

It's like a big family. You can put up with most of them, as long as you don't have to meet too often, except for a couple of cousins, who you would rather not see ever again, and a mad uncle or two.

Edited by chris_b
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, chris_b said:

It's like a big family. You can put up with most of them, as long as you don't have to meet too often, except for a couple of cousins, who you would rather not see ever again, and a mad uncle or two.

I thought we agreed to keep that between us, Chris? 

😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

The Bass stuff is great...

True.

58 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

DoI still a bit odd...

Which is why you put in the occasional appearance... 😉

Yes, Basschat is a real exception to most forums that collapse into nasty abuse at the drop of a hat. I lasted a day on TalkBass before I was hounded off for asking a beginners question. I was worried initially that BC might be the same but it really is exactly the opposite. December 11th 2014 was my first post and I'm still here, daily, thoroughly enjoying it.

• Like 2

It's truely extraordinary. I haven't found another place like it on the whole world wide web. I actually find the help and support on non-bass related issues more useful now than the low note stuff. We should all be very proud of our lovely community. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I lasted a day on TalkBass before I was hounded off for asking a beginners question.

How do you manage that? I've been on Talkbass since 2007, have 742 pages of likes, PM'ed with people from 4 continents and haven't managed to upset anyone!!

I've also been a member of Ozbass for a few years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

How do you manage that? I've been on Talkbass since 2007, have 742 pages of likes, PM'ed with people from 4 continents and haven't managed to upset anyone!!

It must be a particular skill of mine, they tore me a new one within an hour!

• Haha 3

I’d agree it’s a great place and very well moderated, I’ve met lots of good people here mainly when I’m buying stuff, I live abroad part of the year but I’m still on here every day and sometimes all day , I don’t always post unless I can add or help out in any way, as @Oopsdabassistsays “If ya can't say something nice......" that sort of thing”, I’ve always got answers to whatever I’ve asked, even the stupid questions 😁, and 

the DOI always brings a smile to my face, top people there , in all I’d be quite lost without basschat 

• Like 5

The community and behaviour on Basschat is top of the tree compared to anything else. People are 99.9% of the time helpful and friendly, whatever the discussion.

I've only ever had a bad run in with a couple of people (one of which is now banned) who were the type that get weirdly aggressive off the bat to innocuous comments, but other than that, a totally flawless time on this fine site. In 13/14 years, that's actually quite astounding, and a testament to the mods too. 

Particular shout out to the way people approach newbie questions here - on the 'other' site people, again, get weirdly aggressive over questions that may have been asked before. I detest the 'do a search' mentality - conversation is the lifeblood of forums and we on Basschat have the right attitude to newcomers and oldies alike.

Good work all!

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 9

Well I haven't been on Basschat five minutes compared to a lot of you. From day one I've felt welcome unlike one of the Ford RS forums I'm on.

How I've missed this one for so long I just don't know. Pretty sure I'll be around for a while. Cheers everyone 👍 

• Like 4

Dunno about that.
I've seen many instances of apostrophe errors and even some occurrences of regular nouns written with capital first letters.

Admittedly, the rest is OK enough.
(Only the best forum I've been a proud member of.)

Thanks, folks!
b

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I've learned so much about bass playing, gear, and etiquette/performance from reading this forum that I count it as part of my day's practice time!🙂 Thanks everyone.

Edited by NHM
makes better sense
  • Like 3

I've been here since the early days of Bassworld, i.e. about 23 years. There was a time when I would post a lot but nowadays I just like to browse and rarely comment.  It was through here that I had the idea to start my cable business as there was a need that wasn't being fulfilled. Making and selling cables showed me that there was life after retirement, kept me busy and I made many friends in the process, so thank you one and all.  There is no doubt that no matter what the topic, if you ask, someone will have the answer.  Long may it continue.   

Edited by obbm
  • Like 8

I owned one bass guitar only for thirty years or so, then started coming on here for some double bass info. In the last year I've bought two bass guitars, thanks to the amazing wisdom of this forum which has taught me that buying more and more basses is an entirely normal activity. 

• Haha 8

14 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Dunno about that.
I've seen many instances of apostrophe errors and even some occurrences of regular nouns written with capital first letters.

Not to mention ending sentences with prepositions...

• Haha 2