Why become a member? ×

Can you get a Fake Stingray?

dave74200

Not sure if this is sacrilege but I want a Stingray, that looks like a Stingray, but isn't £2000. I know you can get Sub ones etc... but I'd rather buy a fake that looks the part. Is this a possibility? I know they do it with Fender and Gibsons.

Thanks in advance for any advice...... or abuse!!!!!! 

I kind of understand the question and the want. I think the answer is in your original post.

Buy a Sub or a Sterling, change the decal and find a proper USA style bridge. Jobs a good 'un.

Next option would be to go to AliExpress and find one but there's is absolutely no guarantee on quality going that route.

• Like 3

Abuse?  Well, you did ask.  Hold my beer.

I think it's really insecure (not to mention dishonest) to try to pass off something inexpensive as a "posher" item.  Be secure in yourself - most gear you can buy today is competent, what does it matter what brand it is?  I gigged a Harley Benton last night and got the most praise I've ever had for my bass tone.

Don't pay the slightest bit of attention to brand snobs, they're even worse than what you're proposing!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dave74200 said:

Not sure if this is sacrilege but I want a Stingray, that looks like a Stingray, but isn't £2000. I know you can get Sub ones etc... but I'd rather buy a fake that looks the part. Is this a possibility? I know they do it with Fender and Gibsons.

Thanks in advance for any advice...... or abuse!!!!!! 

You'd rather by a fake than something like this Sterling that blows a mere copy out of the water?

I'm guessing OLP doesn't cut it, either.

61prai3FuNS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

th.jpeg-1,597.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sammybee said:

Can you tell me where you're buying Stingrays for £2k? - I'll buy one!

Your comment made me check how much I paid for my SR5 in January 2019 

I bough that bass locally, used but vgc, for £1000, hsc included.

It is crazy to think about how much the world and (used) prices changed. Quite mind boggling really. I mean I live in the here and now but things like these put it all into perspective.

( I still have albeit don't use much but when I do I enjoy it a lot )

• Like 1

Buy one of the Sterling Sub`s for around £400. Not only are they a really good bass out the box but if you install an EMG pickup with the wiring, a fake transfer if you so desire and either add a set of mutes for the older MM`s to the bridge or try and source a bridge that suits, for an additional £200 - £300 you will have an exc bass.

Add me to the £2000 MM list please!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

There are plenty of secondhand stingrays around for under £2000. Even the Gallery has a few.

I thought at first glance the OP was looking at new, but then if you're considering a fake 'ray - I take your point, you're unlikely to be in the market for a new 'un

You can always get more for your money by buying secondhand as long as the specific model is still being produced or it is not (yet) considered 'vintage' or collectable.

My last two purchases were a couple of second hand bargains — a Fender guitar and a Gibson bass I'd had my eye on for a while, each one costing me around half of its current list price. This almost guarantees that if I decide to unload them at a later date, the cost of ownership will be less than zero — ie I'll get what I paid back for them or possibly make a bit of a profit.

Funny enough I’ve just made one of my favourite Stingray types over the last week. I bought an original US Pickup & a 3 band Pre on here recently for I think £60 ish…bargain! I actually bought this before I had a bass to put it on…GAS in action right there!!!
Then I hunted down a mint green Ray4 with a maple board on Reverb, something I had been thinking about for a while. Sadly after purchase it sustained a knock in transit (thanks UPS) so we agreed a £50 refund…I was happy with that as I planning to mod it anyhow with the new US electrics. Skip forward to this weekend and I now have a  superb Stingray esq on a budget, all in less than £280! I even had a flat top pick up cover for those pesky razor shop pickup poles on the USA pickups. I’ve owned several ‘real’ rays over the years and this sounds, and plays just as good - no weak G either 😂. I’d like to upgrade the bridge one day but for now I’m in no rush. Very happy on a budget, and no desire to change the decals…quite proud of my Ray4.

IMG_6171.thumb.jpeg.96e11f30f6d2bff40dede3532618fb11.jpeg

• Like 2

USA made Subs are great basses, other than the hideous chequerplate pickguards  They were relatively cheap a few years ago but now they aren’t far off the price of actual Stingrays.
I honestly preferred it to the Stingray I briefly owned. 

• Like 1