Why become a member? ร—

Michael Buble's Asda ad.

TheGreek

Being plastered all over our TV screens this winter, Michael Buble doing an ad for Asda. But how much did they pay him?ย 

Buble has become synonymous with, and can be considered the current "Face of Xmas".๐ŸŽ…๐ŸŽ…๐ŸŽ…

Can't begrudge him doing the ad but it must have been a pretty penny.

No doubt Asda will get their money back from all his young mum fans.

Just goes to show I suppose that even when a career has reached a point where they really don't need the money that's no reason to turn it down.

ย 

Apparently Snoop Dogg and Katie Perry got $5 million apiece for their Just Eat ads.

ย 

Considering how much big brands are willing to spend on Christmas ads I wouldn't be suprised if Buble's paycheck for Asda was in the same ballpark.

ย 

Not bad for a few days work.

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Are people actually shallow enough nowadays to go to <insert supermarket chain here> because <insert celebrity name here> is fronting their Christmas advertising campaign?

ย 

Call me Mr Grumpypants, but while I love the element of warm and fuzzy that this time of year brings, I can pick up everything we need from Lidl, which is about 500m from the bed where I'm typing this.ย ย 

ย 

Don't worry about how much coin changed hands to acquire the services of Bublรฉ either; Asda are bankrolled by Walmart and a couple of billionaires from Lancashire.ย  They're probably not short of a few quid and metaphorically had Bubbles fee down the back of the sofa.

ย 

If we have any US members reading, what's the celeb-fronted advertising like for Walmart, Albertsons or Target like at this time of year?

8 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Are people actually shallow enough nowadays to go to <insert supermarket chain here> because <insert celebrity name here> is fronting their Christmas advertising campaign?

ย 

Call me Mr Grumpypants, but while I love the element of warm and fuzzy that this time of year brings, I can pick up everything we need from Lidl, which is about 500m from the bed where I'm typing this.ย ย 

ย 

Don't worry about how much coin changed hands to acquire the services of Bublรฉ either; Asda are bankrolled by Walmart and a couple of billionaires from Lancashire.ย  They're probably not short of a few quid and metaphorically had Bubbles fee down the back of the sofa.

ย 

If we have any US members reading, what's the celeb-fronted advertising like for Walmart, Albertsons or Target like at this time of year?

Marketing doesnโ€™t work in such a linear fashion, but it does work, or why would they pay for it?

ย 

Christmas Ads are all about brand building and shifting the perception of the brand among customers.

The reason you go into Lidl and donโ€™t turn your nose up at it is the brand building Lidl has done in the UK which has been very impressive. This has helped them ride through scandals (the chicken one, for example) with little

impact.

ย 

I genuine despise the way that advertising in this country is considered art and somehow part of our culture, but I canโ€™t deny itโ€™s effective.ย 

ย 

18 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Marketing doesnโ€™t work in such a linear fashion, but it does work, or why would they pay for it?

ย 

Christmas Ads are all about brand building and shifting the perception of the brand among customers.

The reason you go into Lidl and donโ€™t turn your nose up at it is the brand building Lidl has done in the UK which has been very impressive. This has helped them ride through scandals (the chicken one, for example) with little

impact.

ย 

I genuine despise the way that advertising in this country is considered art and somehow part of our culture, but I canโ€™t deny itโ€™s effective.ย 

ย 

ย 

I remember when Lidl opened in our village, my original feeling was dismay; we'd lost a really nice '50s garage with some nice vintage cars on the forecourt, which was replaced by a featureless supermarket, which I vowed never to use.

ย 

First Lidl experience was actually in Cyprus, well after our local one opened.ย  Pretty suprised at quality/cleanliness/prices.ย  Visited our one shortly thereafter, much the same.ย  End of the day, milk is milk.ย  Why go to Tesco/Sainsbury?

ย 

Never been someone swayed by advertising (I don't watch much terrestrial/commercial TV); I'm strong enough in the head to make my own decisions and don't need Mr Bubbles to tell me Asda sausage rolls are the ones to buy.

ย 

ย 

Edited by NancyJohnson
Chubby finger syndrome.

24 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

ย 

I remember when Lidl opened in our village, my original feeling was dismay; we'd lost a really nice '50s garage with some nice vintage cars on the forecourt, which was replaced by a featureless supermarket, which I vowed never to use.

ย 

First Lidl experience was actually in Cyprus, well after our local one opened.ย  Pretty suprised at quality/cleanliness/prices.ย  Visited our one shortly thereafter, much the same.ย  End of the day, milk is milk.ย  Why go to Tesco/Sainsbury?

ย 

Never been someone swayed by advertising (I don't watch much terrestrial/commercial TV); I'm strong enough in the head to make my own decisions and don't need Mr Bubbles to tell me Asda sausage rolls are the ones to buy.

ย 

ย 

Everyone in the world considers themselves too smart to be influenced by ads, yet spending on them goes up year on year.

ย 

The fact weโ€™re discussing the advert and using the brand name means itโ€™s working. This is literally how it works.

ย 

Lidl used to suffer from brand perception issues. Not necessarily with the quality, but middle class people were ashamed or embarrassed to shop there. The brand has successfully repositioned itself in the UK, and is now making a legitimate move for the โ€œbig 4โ€.

ย 

Its achieved this through a combination of above the line and below the line marketing and itโ€™s incredibly successful.

ย 

In fact, Iโ€™m currently enjoying a Lidl smoothie. All hail out cut price German overlords.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

ย 

impact.

ย 

ย 

Some adverts are rather artistic. Ones like the Ridley Scott Hovis advert, the Dunlop tyre adverts (with Venus in Furs) or the some of the Guinness ones are classics in their own right. People remember them for the style, whereas they remember ones like the Shake'n'Vac ads for their cheesiness and catchy jingles.

I like the fact that Iceland have refused to make a Christmas advert this year. They are using the money they would have spent on the ad to try and give folk a better deal over christmas with keeping the prices down. Fair play to them. John Lewis spent 6 million on their advert last year. I wonder how much this years one has cost?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

I like the fact that Iceland have refused to make a Christmas advert this year. They are using the money they would have spent on the ad to try and give folk a better deal over christmas with keeping the prices down. Fair play to them. John Lewis spent 6 million on their advert last year. I wonder how much this years one has cost?

And that itself Is marketing spin that the papers lapped up.

Iceland is struggling with debt: ยฃ550m of bonds to repay by 2025. They also admit they canโ€™t afford to pay staff more than minimum wage, when many competitors have moved to the unofficial Real Living Wage.

Thereโ€™s no mention of how much theyโ€™ll save or how much of that theyโ€™ll pass on, and no mention of paying staff more.

They could have done a cheap in-house video ad and blitzed social media with it instead.

"I've been buying my meat and vegetables from Asda all year, what a shame that they won't be selling anything special for Christmas. Oh gosh, there's that nice Michael Bubbly to tell me that I can get my turkey and Brussels sprouts [1] from Asda after all. Hooray, Christmas is saved."

ย 

[1] Spawn of Satan

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Nah. heโ€™s ace.

He seems a good guy. But they all do until you wave cash at them.

ย 

One of my favourite podcasters recently sold out and started doing ads for a gambling company. Gambling destroys lives and kills people. It really is that simple.
ย 

Personally, Iโ€™d exercise some discretion in what I did if I were hugely rich and successful. Thankfully Iโ€™m neither, but I do have a clear moral conscience.ย 

• Like 1

The thing with advertising is that when all of them (e.g, supermarkets) do it, the overall balance of customers between them will stay pretty much the same, but all the them will have that extra expense to cover.

However none of them dare not to advertise.

The real winners are the ad agencies.

ย 

As for Micheal buble: To me, he typifies all that I dislike about certain singing styles.

ย