Why become a member? ×

What makes “your sound”?

Lozz196

I recall reading an interview with Glen Matlock (he of Sex Pistols fame) and he said that the integral piece of equipment for his sound wasn’t the bass or strings but his Fender amp. 

Now thinking about this I’d probably say a Tech21 pedal in one shape or another, be it BDDI, VTDI or Para Driver they all have the Tech21 sound and this has been pretty much a constant with me over the last 20 or so years.

So, what’s the integral piece of equipment for your sound?

• Like 1

At home, a Tech21 RBI or RPM straight into the mixer and out via a decent pair of cans is ‘me’. Live, though, it’s a Markbass head with the EQ flat (well.. all dials at noon) and the filters turned off that has become my thing. I’ve found LM2, LM3, F1, LM800, Nano300 and Nano2 all equally acceptable.

Edited by Ed_S

Today it's a touch of compressed Ampeg model in one Helix path, the other path with tube overdrive, plate reverb and Wah.

Yesterday it was a Royal Blood sort of thing with bass in one path and autowah screaming guitar in the other.

Before that with an actual pedalboard it was whatever craziness I could conjure from Qtron and bass-synth.

Tomorrow, who knows?

My sound is my fingers, bass and the preamp settings I choose. The amps and cabs I choose are there to enhance those other facets to my tone; I probably sound the same through the majority of amps etc but feel the Trace/BF rig allows me to focus on the playing more :)

• Like 1

Depends on what the song requires, via a Quad Cortex, I'll build a sound to suit the track from a few general presets.

The constants are 5 strings and round wounds.

I've used the same Boss Bass Chorus pedal for 40 years on my fretless.

I have a sound for my originals projects, which is a bi-amped patch using an SVT 3 model into a 2x12 EV IR for the LF and a GK 800RB into a 4x10 TE IR  for the HF, both with switchable distortion and chorus paths and an LA2 limiter model on the mixed output, which is suitable filthy when needed, but behaves itself in decent company.