Why become a member? ×

Favourite songs where the bass line is the hook!

Al Krow

Just been having a bit of fun learning the bass line to Thriller for a Halloween gig coming up.

Loving how a relatively simple 7 note riff can become such a massive / iconic hook! Seems to me MJ was particularly good at doing that and Bruno Mars has taken a leaf or two out of his book.

What are your favourite song(s) where the bass line is the hook?

Please feel free to post a YT clip...I'm just feeling that posting a clip of the original Thriller ain't going to add to the sum human knowledge for any of us, haha! We did, however, have a look out for a version we could do with much more modest instrumentation and playing capability than MJ had at his disposal...and we really liked what this crew had come up with:

• Like 4

Too many to list but pretty much all by The Jam

Eton Rifles, Down in The Tube Station, Town Called Malice, Pretty Green, It’s Too Bad to name but a few

Edit - and New Years Day by U2, yes Adam Clayton riffing out for all the haters 🤣

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got hundreds of great reggae basslines but most here don’t like reggae so I’m going to go with one that I think makes the song 

I likes me some 70s dub -Lee Scratch Perry, King Tubby and Scientist in particular -and like some regular reggae e.g Toots &b The Maytals, Black Uhuru. But you're right, within the BCverse, like electronica, it seems to be a niche thing with just a few followers.  Anyway, this guy sure isn't niche and this is one hell of a reggae-ish bassline 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Deee-lite - Groove is in the heart

Miles Davis - So what

Chic - Good times

James Brown - I feel good

Kajagoogoo - Too shy

The Trammps - Disco Inferno

Jeff Beck - Come dancing

Lee Ritenour - Rio funk

The library of Level 42, of course, and Jaco Pastorius' Teen town, which is a bass solo.

• Like 3