Why become a member? ×

Anyone else out of gas?

joel406

Over the last 7/8 years my personal equipment has reached a level where I have no need, or want, for anything.

Amp wise I already have the best. As well as multiple heads and cabs.

I own 6 outstanding instruments. Carefully selected, and compared to the likes of Lakland, MTD, Alembic and any other brand you can think of. They fit me and sound fantastic.

Over the last 3/4 years I have gone primarily ampless. And now I have six pedal boards. Any of which can, and do, get the job done. 

Anyone else out there that want for nothing? It actually feels great.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep, I've been that way a few years. I have two basses, an amp, a modest collection of synths and drum machines, couple of guitars...

It feels great as you said

But in the past, I have bought and sold loads... I wish I had the wisdom 20 years ago to buy a couple of good instruments, stick with them and save all that time and money on trading

• Like 3

I don't do GAS. If I find something better than what I'm currently using I might buy it, but it has to be better, not just different or more shiny.

For the last 10 years I've been using the best gear I've owned; a Mike Lull PJ5, Aguilar amps and Barefaced cabs. When you get to peak tone there is nowhere to go, so I stop looking and just enjoy what I have.

My sound got a big thumbs up from the band this afternoon, confirmation that I don't need to change a thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

No. I'm out of money. But the net effect is the same. 

I totally agree but I’ve had some outstanding instruments and equipment over the years and have still sold them in an endless futile search. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m never going to be happy so why have thousands invested in something I’m not happy with?  Maybe if I was a rich bloke I might feel different though 😁

• Like 1

I haven’t bought a new bass in about 7/8 months.

Thats a record.

I’ve bought and sold some auxiliary items, but I’ve sold loads.

I haven’t got any money currently after an expensive renovation to the garden etc. so it’s most likely no new basses will happen in what’s left of 2023.

And I’m literally doing nothing musically at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not even close but then again, I just like collecting basses and trying new stuff so these are on my hit list, along with one or two fretless basses that a fellow BC member has.

Soon to be released Fender Vintera II Telecaster bass.

fender-vintera-ii-70s-telecaster-bass-mn-sfg.jpg.625195ecce665aa82a879fa25a58171e.thumb.jpg.7aa074dd63e5c91206d4985751e0c8d6.jpg

Fender Japan 51RI Precision Bass

Fender-Japan-51-Reissue-Precision-2-tone-sunburst-1-683x1024.thumb.jpg.86151c14f72f060e861342641e8e2625.jpg

Fender Japan 57RI Precision bass

20230819_172747.thumb.jpg.d79eb652315e1845aa133e519248f85a.jpg

Fender Japan 62RI Fretless Jazz Bass

image0(3).thumb.jpeg.52f86fb09440f9c652c756674706c638.jpeg

Ibanez Musician Fretless

20151229_124507.thumb.jpg.88c4f4bbeed9192aa6397f68c541b7da.jpg

Bugera Veyron 1000T but just because I've heard great things about them.

BV1001T-large.jpg.5e83b4b2e10edf61273ffbfd35d633ba.jpg

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 2

I’m actually pretty settled with my Jazz and GK 212 combo and a few pedals

…I am however, still not settled on a 5 string. I currently have a Dingwall Super P 5 string which is an excellent bass but, after spending some time with it, I’m not sure about the P bass sound in a 5 string format. I think if it had been a P/J pickup configuration it would have been bang on the money sound wise.

Oh yeah GAS …still want to spend some time with a Stingray 5! I think I need to scratch that itch!

Edited by TheJonJonJonJon
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

I found contentment in a couple of purchases this year (Sandberg & Marusz...)!  

Only problem is, I bought a 2012 Volve XC70 D3... I have serious GAS for a slightly newer D5 version!  LOL

"Who's GAS Free?"
"Me, Me Me - I'm down into single figures for a year cos I want a new car!" 

• Like 1

I have more gear than I could possibly need or want but, yes, Gas strikes from out the sun when you least expect it.

I decided a while ago that the word 'gas' was filled with negative connotations when it wasn't necessarily a negative state of mind.  I tend to regard it as 'curiosity' now, rather than gas.  So, rather than slavishly 'gassing' for something and then 'giving in' I now think positively 'I am curious about what that bit of gear is like so will buy and try'.  

• Like 3

After receiving my long ordered and awaited Leduc U-Basse 6 fretless for my birthday last month, I'm GAS free, having owned and played more than 400 basses and a lot of amps.

I'm now in the process of selling what I don't need, you know those useless bargains, not for gasing again, but because I don't want anything else and just like for my Hi-Fi system, after a very long quest, everything is settled, to my taste.

I really love my actual lightweight basses and lightweight combos as I get exactly the tone I hear in my head and can move them and play them without breaking my bad back.

So yes, I'm GAS free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1