Why become a member? ×

New Status Basses

Jabba_the_gut

Only had the one wooden necked status and I wasn't a fan, though these painted neck jobbies seem a different kettle of fish.

It's an odd move, and the prices seem to have stayed high (the wooden models were always the more budget ones?), but it's nice to see they're still being made.  Hope it works out for them!

my first bass was a Status shark - it was an amazing first instrument. 

I think, probably if I were getting on a bit, had a health scare, shut down the production etc... wood necked basses would be a nice, low pressure way to keep my hand in the game and keep an income coming in. 

• Like 2

Really pleased to see Rob back in good health and seemingly not ready to give up. My chances of being able to order a new Kingbass went from 0%, to about 1%. So, it's progress at least. :)

• Like 3

Of course Rob recovering is the main thing and were he not to have continued in any way that would be understandable.

Whilst I'm sure they'll be very well made, they're just not what I'd be looking for in a Status sadly.

The main question is, how will they get by with no 11th version of the Kingbass?!! Just think of all the Mark King fans wailing into their handkerchiefs realising that they still can't get a new Kingbass (affects high pitched voice) "exactly like Mark has it to play Mr Pink on!" 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Hmm... does seem a bit odd. That said, I did play Sharks and Barracudas many years ago so they cam certainly make excellent wooden basses.

I thought the working with carbon graphite process was unhealthy over the long term .. not sure if this was directly the cause of any health problems but I can see why going back to all wood construction would at this stage be the understandable thing to do.

34 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

I thought the working with carbon graphite process was unhealthy over the long term .. not sure if this was directly the cause of any health problems but I can see why going back to all wood construction would at this stage be the understandable thing to do.

How so?  Uninformed as I am, I would have assumed woodworking would be more a risk to health, inhaling sawdust etc.

27 minutes ago, Kev said:

How so?  Uninformed as I am, I would have assumed woodworking would be more a risk to health, inhaling sawdust etc.

Well there is some talk about carbon being the new asbestos, unproven but its one of those things that by the time you find out then its too late. In my dealings with rob he did say to always cut carbon graphite in a well ventilated space ie the open air ..not something one would specifically say about wood although I'm sure its a good practice no matter what you are cutting.

• Like 1

The Status Graphite Facebook groups are buzzing with news of new Status basses, the Series 23 with graphite-reinforced maple necks with phenolic fingerboards. Rob has updated his site too. Exciting, but weird too! 

FB_IMG_1691572953735.jpg.dcb19a4392f502482068200aa5759641.jpg

• Like 2

My sole reason for being interested in these was the headless carbon graphite build, but I understand health has to take priority. However, it doesn mean I'm no longer interested - which is very unlikely to hurt Status sales given I was highly unlikely to ever be able to afford one.

2 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

The main question is, how will they get by with no 11th version of the Kingbass?!! Just think of all the Mark King fans wailing into their handkerchiefs realising that they still can't get a new Kingbass (affects high pitched voice) "exactly like Mark has it to play Mr Pink on!" 

He's back to using Jaydees at the moment...

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

There's no sign of information on the new basses other than the original link in the OP - "Stock basses" under "Online Store" doesn't have any information and there's no other "Stock basses" option.

Incidentally, the website is still stuck in the 1990s with its awful frame-based design and "click to enter" landing page, but for some reason everybody on BC is happy with that but not happy with BD's not quite completely perfect modern website. You can't beat standards, especially if you've got double.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EMG456 said:

essentially the same concept as the Washburn Status in the 80s.

I can't unsee this unfortunately, even the finishes in these pictures don't look spectacular (though they aren't great pictures).  It just looks all a little budget, yet not budget priced.

43 minutes ago, tauzero said:

There's no sign of information on the new basses other than the original link in the OP - "Stock basses" under "Online Store" doesn't have any information and there's no other "Stock basses" option.

Incidentally, the website is still stuck in the 1990s with its awful frame-based design and "click to enter" landing page, but for some reason everybody on BC is happy with that but not happy with BD's not quite completely perfect modern website. You can't beat standards, especially if you've got double.

It's unhelpfully all in it's own Stock Basses section at the bottom.

image.png.7eb15e736d3c123a7db117f2b6fd727b.png

• Like 1

I've got three older wooden necked headed Statii and they are very nice to play.

However, I inherently associate the name Status Graphite with (erm) graphite basses (and headless ones at that!) - I've got a 4-string one of those too.

So, I'm finding this announcement a bit confusing, but maybe it's just the start of the process.

But it's good to see the man back in business either way!

(The pic is three of mine, with the other being a Groove.)

status - Three Statii - IMG_1303.JPG

• Like 2