Why become a member? ×

How many basses do you take on stage?

Mickeyboro

Saw a fairly standard blues trio last night playing in an arts centre.

The bassist started with a Gibson EB0, went on to a Stingray and swopped back, playing a Spector for one song. That was only in the first half, we left as the volume- especially from him - was crazy loud.

How many basses do you take on stage?

Just the one, but I mostly play originals to an empty room. If I was getting paid to do a set of covers in a pub or something then I'd take 2 so I have a backup just in case. 

I saw a Pearl Jam tribute band a couple of years ago and they were great. The bassist must have played at least 5 different basses over the 1hr30m set. Jeff Ament played quite a wide range of basses over the course of their career so far and I really rated the bass player for going the extra mile to get it as spot on as possible. I was probably the only person in the venue who appreciated it though 😃

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For the longest time, one.  I've recently started taking two when I can be bothered, but the second one is in its case/bag lurking in the shadows as it is strictly the understudy in case anything goes wrong.  I'm not changing basses part way through a show - it's just rock covers (or original tunes no-one gives a monkeys about) - who is this jumped up so-and-so?  Oh look, he's changed bass.  Yup, still sounds him, playing a bass.

• Like 2

At the moment one just because of logistics, but I am eyeing up a two-bass case so I can take a backup in case something goes wrong. I already have a spare amp after a previous one blew in the middle of a gig and at least one other DI option. 

Two. Depending on the size of the stage I either leave the spare in it’s case in the wings of

the theatre for smaller places, or have it on a stand behind my amp on bigger stages so

its not too much of a trek if the worst happens. Don’t think I’ve had to use it in over 12 years

with this band, but an embarrassing incident with battery failure at a flash wedding with my

previous band made me vow to always have a spare. 

Depends on the gig and how the band are getting there. Ideally one and a spare, but sometimes if we are travelling light there won't be room.

TBH in over 40 years of gigging I've only needed a spare bass on three occasions (and didn't have one on only one, where I didn't even have a spare set of strings and I had to borrow the headlining band's bass), unlike when I was playing guitar and it was a rare gig when I didn't break at least 1 string.

The most I've taken to a gig was 5 - 2 fretted and 2 fretless basses and a spare guitar for the guitarist who didn't have one.

Having said 2, before, I’ve only ever used one, I’ve never needed the spare, ever. 100s of rock gigs, clanking the strings pretty hard, I’ve never broken a string once. Of course, the day I leave the spare at home is the day I break that string.

• Like 2

A spare is permissable!

As I mentioned, he actually played all three. Now I can tell the difference between Gibson and Fender but wasn’t sure why the Spector. 

I have played that venue with an Elf and 1x10: this gentleman had an Ashdown head and 8x10. My ears are still ringing…