Why become a member? ×

RIP Tina Turner

KingPrawn

Totally unique soul singer. And that what she really was, a soul singer and she was fabulous at it,  she just happened to record some rockish music. I have this DVD. She was in her 60s when she did this live performance. Incredible.!!! .. Like Marvin said she was a one off. I always think instead of getting whizzed off just watch something thats a positive.  This is just.... 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Thanks 1

In 1997/8, in my 3rd year at Uni, I lived in a Council flat in Walker (it was cheap, ok!) about 1 mile east, and across the Tyne, from Gateshead Stadium. 
One night Tina Turner played a gig there. The wind was just right and I could hear everything. She was seriously good and energetic, the band were good, and she’d have been late 50s by then, still pumping out 2hr+ shows, dancing in heels.
Some songs sound a bit meh on the radio (by any artist), but We Don’t Need Another Hero at stadium volume with crowd participation was spine-tingling.

Much respect.

• Like 2

Seems like all the greats are leaving us. 

She rebooted an amazing career in the 80s - probably bigger then than when she was with Ike. 

A serious loss to music, thankfully most of her contributions are recorded for posterity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

Totally unique soul singer. And that what she really was, a soul singer and she was fabulous at it,  she just happened to record some rockish music. I have this DVD. She was in her 60s when she did this live performance. Incredible.!!! .. Like Marvin said she was a one off. I always think instead of getting whizzed off just watch something thats a positive.  This is just.... 

Also the late John Miles on guitar who died in 2021.

Edited by steantval

And from 2007, a wonderful version of 'Edith and the Kingpin' on Herbie Hancock's album  'River - The Joni Letters', accompanied by a stellar bunch of players: Dave Holland, Wayne Shorter, Vinnie Colaiuta and Lionel Loueke.....just superb. What a voice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the pleasure of 20 minutes in an audition room with Tina and an agent in the late 80's, a glorious lady with the most infectious laugh and energy. I still smile when I think about it, I was young and crap, she knew it but she still made me feel I'd done well. One of the all time greats, and what a life she had. RIP Tina ❤️  

• Like 10

She was great. She did an uncredited (at the time) appearance on Zappas Over-Nite Sensation on Montana-the hard part, (I'm plucking the old dental floss...) just read it down. And Ike made sure she was paid. I mean, that part is seriously difficult. 

She was soul, she was rock, she was woman.

Talent and Grace like that don't come around too often.

11 hours ago, JSbass said:

And from 2007, a wonderful version of 'Edith and the Kingpin' on Herbie Hancock's album  'River - The Joni Letters', accompanied by a stellar bunch of players: Dave Holland, Wayne Shorter, Vinnie Colaiuta and Lionel Loueke.....just superb. What a voice!

Here it is and I only wish she’d done more like it. Superb in every way. 

• Thanks 1

I had the pleasure of being road crew for the European leg of Tina's 1990 Foreign Affair "farewell" tour (first of many farewell tours....). She was a wonderful woman, caring, kind and appreciative, a joy to work for. And such a pro. 100% every night, vocally perfect, full energy. She used to, with a wink, fine the band members $5 if they messed up, she never missed a trick. Band leader and MD was the late John Miles, another complete professional and a lovely bloke. Bass player was Bob Feit, great solid player. Tina's band was also Joe Cocker's too through the 90s, since they were both managed by Roger Davies. Tina was a proper star, exceptional in every way.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1