Why become a member? ×

How to EQ a P Bass

Supernaut

Been a Jazz player for the last 15 years. 

Recently purchased a Precision and loving it. 

Had rehearsal last week and I was really struggling with the EQ to get a decent tone. No note definition, just lots of boom. 

Any tips? 

I tend to cut the low mids, preferably around 400 or 500Hz, this takes away the boom, then boost highs, if possible at 4 or 5kHz to get some definition - I find boosting far more than is pleasant in isolation works well. If I’m looking for clank and to cut through I’ll also boost at 2.5 to 3kHz.

• Like 2

If it’s stock, start with everything flat on the amp, tone on the bass set at full (for me with flatwounds anyway). Then just nudge the bass on the amp if you think it needs it. Treble control is probably just personal preference.

Edited by How1

As a long time (40+ years) J bass player, I came to P basses late and found it a bit of a shock when I first got one. The character of it is so different to a J - mid focussed, much less top, seemingly boomy, etc. Took me a while to stop trying to make it sound like my J bass. One I accepted that it was a completely different animal, everything began to change and now I love it. Some good advice from others above. Try asking someone else to play it whilst you stand back. That seeming lack of note definition and boom is completely different out in the room and in the mix, where it sounds solid and punchy. Stick with it and you'll come to appreciate it for its own qualities, rather than comparing it to your J.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Also... what tone are you after? 

And what is the genre and line-up of your band?

No great tone for any instrument exists in isolation, it is great because it works perfectly for the arrangement of the song and the instrumentation of the rest of the band.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2023 at 23:55, Supernaut said:

Been a Jazz player for the last 15 years. 

Recently purchased a Precision and loving it. 

Had rehearsal last week and I was really struggling with the EQ to get a decent tone. No note definition, just lots of boom. 

Any tips? 

I'm a big Jazz Bass fan too but I bought a P bass after I saw a friend of his play his live and he had a great tone.

I struggled to get a good live tone myself until I turned the bass down and turned the mid up a smidge. I then turned the tone to about halfway. This gave the bass definition and a decent bottom end.

P bass player since 1994. For me mostly flat EQ, actually with a bit of added bass, and tone rolled off about a quarter. 

I actually love the meaty, blurry thud you get from a P, rather than perfect note definition. But that's my taste. Yours may vary.

They're very simple instruments so there isn't much to have to adjust to get a good, standard bass sound. Might sound a bit clunky and basic by itself but comes into its own in a band situation.

Good luck, and have fun.

• Like 1