Why become a member? ×

How old were you when you did your first gig?

odysseus

Just out of idle curiosity.

How old were you when you did your first gig? I mean a public venue or suchlike, not just in front of mum, dad, Uncle Dave and the cat.

At The Pirate in Falmouth with a cover band called Cut Loose.

• Like 1

I was 16 when my folk trio played for all 1700 students at an assembly at our school followed soon after with a paying gig for a church youth group, I was playing acoustic guitar then.

Tonight, 61 years later (I can't believe it!), I am playing a gig with my seven piece jazz band at a brewery and I hope to continue as long as possible. Several more gigs coming with that band, a small string ensemble concert and a couple of bluegrass festivals this summer all on DB, I  just love playing that big beast.😊

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 4

13, in 1988, at the Christadelphinan hall in Nuneaton. It was a thing for pensioners. The school choir was playing, but I was playing in a small band (bass, drums, piano and two singers. The entirety of my music class). We were only supposed to do three songs, but they enjoyed us so much that they wanted us to carry on. So we played the same three songs, again.

Proper band gig would have been 14. It was in the youth club building on the George Eliot school grounds, but had nothing to do with the school (I was the only band member still of school age).

Edited by KingBollock

Thursday 29th May 2008 in Kilburn with a scratch band put together by the Weekend Warriors program. I was 51, having picked up a bass for the first time on my 49th birthday.

In the 15 years since then, I've played just short of 500 gigs. Why do you think I'm Happy Jack?

• Like 4

Aged 15, at the secondary school 'Valentine's Ball'. Played a set of covers including Nirvana, Hole, and Sex Pistols to an audience of our nonplussed peers. I played a low slung Maya fretless that belonged to my dad. Nowadays I'd be at least a bit nervous about doing a gig on fretless, but not then - definitely in the 'unconscious incompetence' phase! 😅

• Like 1

Excluding school gigs my first public gig was at 15. I got roped in by some bigger boys in a band called The Sea who gave me a tape and said "learn the bass lines by next Saturday as we have a gig and need a bass player". They'd been gigging regularly for quite a few years and had quite a good following. The guitarist ran a guitar shop that was at the bottom of my school playing fields and I got to know him pretty well over lunchtimes when I escaped school. My Dad came with me to chaperone me as my Mum didn't like the idea of me going to play in a pub (even though I'd surreptitiously been frequenting such establishments for a while). 

It was, surprisingly, original stuff rather than covers although it was heavily influenced by U2 and I ended up with them until I went to university. 

• Like 1

13 at the (now awaiting demolition) monument to brutalist architecture Lancastrian Hall…

Playing songs from a school production.

my Yamaha BB300 (which weighed the same as a small house)

IMG_2163.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 2

32. Mrs. Neepheid basically dragged me into a one-off ska/2 tone covers band for a birthday party after putting up with me buggering about with basses at home for a few years and doing more modding than playing. Joined my first originals band the following year and never looked back!

My first performance was at 16 playing bass for the school orchestra on the annual Xmas play. Only played on a few numbers tho as had only been playing for a year and had only learned Sex Pistols songs so wasn’t that proficient at orchestra type music.

First sort of gig was at 14 turning the pages for a pianist doing somethingorother at Chester town hall...

First actually playing was me on keys with @lurksalot 's little brother on bass doing Dylan and Barclay James Harvest covers at a school anti nuclear do (!) I was praps 18?

And first time on bass was in the Tartan Bar at Leeds Uni early 80s, with Dredd and the Badass Weeds.

• Like 1

I played various assemblies at school and played in a knock up type folk rock outfit in a similar scenario to @Leonard Smalls I think that would be about 17 , I then upgraded my bass and gave my old one to my little Bro.

I do remember playing ‘mouldy old dough’ on keys during an interval when my uncles band were played at a Romford working men’s club around 1974   So I’d have been 12 ish on that one 😂