Why become a member? ×

My ‘Only 1 Bass for 3 Months’ Challenge

Chiliwailer

Not to be taken too seriously…I’m challenging myself to only play one bass for the next 3-6 months, with the other 2 stored away.

Health issues means I just play at home now, so I don’t need a spare. 

I now play guitar more often so have less bass time and like the idea of having one bass to go along with the one electric and one acoustic I make good use of. 

I’m sure I’ll miss the passive/active and flats/rounds options that I really value, but my sentimental StingRay with a versatile John East preamp isn’t short of quality tones so it won’t be a hardship!!!

I’m keen to see what a few months with only one bass does to my mindset, and use of that particular bass too. 

Interested to know if anyone has done similar before, for whatever reason, and how it went? 

• Like 3

I have several basses, including a six-string fretless, a five-string active/passive fretted, and a couple of other four-string passives at my disposal, but have been playing my Hofner Verithin almost exclusively for over a decade now. I'm not looking to recreate any particular tone or whatever; I play what the bass wants to sound like, through whatever I'm using (Hiwatt amp, Fender amp, 'puter interface etc...) and almost never with pedals. I just go with the flow, in whatever 'style' I'm inspired to attempt (mostly 'jazz' chord stuff, or chord-melody things that I make up...). I don't (read 'can't'...) play 'songs' and stuff (I used to, when I was playing bass in the band...), and have more fun now trying out different things over 'Misty', for instance. No slap, of course, but one good bass can do so much more if one takes the time, effort and patience to just get the best from that one bass. :friends:
Of course it helps a little that I'm a drummer, really. :$

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I have several basses, including a six-string fretless, a five-string active/passive fretted, and a couple of other four-string passives at my disposal, but have been playing my Hofner Verithin almost exclusively for over a decade now. I'm not looking to recreate any particular tone or whatever; I play what the bass wants to sound like, through whatever I'm using (Hiwatt amp, Fender amp, 'puter interface etc...) and almost never with pedals. I just go with the flow, in whatever 'style' I'm inspired to attempt (mostly 'jazz' chord stuff, or chord-melody things that I make up...). I don't (read 'can't'...) play 'songs' and stuff (I used to, when I was playing bass in the band...), and have more fun now trying out different things over 'Misty', for instance. No slap, of course, but one good bass can do so much more if one takes the time, effort and patience to just get the best from that one bass. :friends:
Of course it helps a little that I'm a drummer, really. :$

Cheers Doug, inspiring post and great to read about how you view that bass, and about  putting the time and effort in too - similar to something I once read Mr Miller chatting about with his famous Jazz Bass. 👍

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

@Chiliwailer 1-bass to rule them all is a very good approach, I’m trying to get there albeit with 1xfretted and 1xfretless. @Dad3353 you’re spot in, tone is 99% how you play 👍

If only Chris, that’s the dream! 

I fear I may still need a passive Fender in the cupboard for ‘security’, though wonder if these 3 months will change my mind 🤔

• Thanks 1

Well having established that due to my back I need short-scale & lightweight I have a Fender JMJ Mustang for band use and my fave Fender US Standard Precision for home use - I only play sitting down at home. The rest I’m offloading so 2 is as near as I’ll get to this, however it will only be the Precision I’ll play at home. 

• Like 1

I have done this a few times, although never with anything as posh as a Stingray! 

I used a Shaftesbury Tele bass copy solely for years, even though I had access to other basses. More recently I played my crappy little Tanglewood short scale exclusively for a couple of months and didn’t touch my jazz bass or mustang bass at all. It just seemed to be hitting the spot for me.

I will admit I’m not currently gigging, just recording, but nevertheless there’s something about sticking to one instrument for a while. Have done the same with guitars and drum kits too. Have an open mind, you can change your mind anytime you like. 

• Like 1

I fancy that I could manage this, in fact I may have already done some time back unwittingly. If I were to take it on, I would choose my JMJ Mustang. When I first bought it, during lockdown 2.0, I was in temporary accommodation and had only taken a five string, fretless with me, when I moved in (this was a mistake it turned out, but as primarily a fretless player, I thought it was the right move. I had no idea my attitude to fretless was about to change). I ordered the Mustang and played it so much, I gave myself tendinitis. I think I probably just played it for 3 months as I wasn’t reunited with my other basses for 4 months after receiving the JMJ.

Hmm, food for thought.

• Like 1

The way I do things, I don't see this being relevant to me. It's not that I couldn't do it, but it's my firm belief that instruments are to be played or sold, so maintaining a stable of five leads me to mix it up on a regular basis - to wit I take a different bass to almost every rehearsal or gig.

Good luck with it though, you do you!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, meterman said:

I have done this a few times, although never with anything as posh as a Stingray! 

You’re so right there. I often think it’s nuts that I have such a great ‘posh’ bass that can sit there gathering dust at times. 

8 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Back in the day I only ever had one bass at a time anyway, you couldn't afford another.

Now I'd be happy enough playing just Stingray and P bass as they each do something the other doesn't. 

Exactly this, I remember those years, some with this Ray when I was young, and then much later when I sold all my gear to buy a flat. 

I do wonder if I’ll end up with just the Ray and a Fender for the reason you mentioned above - or if I’ll adapt to using the Ray only, as I used to? Time will tell! 

• Like 1

If it’s the right bass I’d say it’s easily done, I think that’s the key thing, I had others but I pretty much played one precision for over 5 years, then one day at a friend’s house I picked up his jazz and just loved it and I got hooked on jazzes, i like owning lots of basses now but I could quite easily if I put my mind to it just play my 71 precision and nothing else , it’s nice to be fortunate enough to have the choice now, back in the day money was tight and buying basses wasn’t a priority 

• Like 1

I’ve pretty much been playing one bass for decades. Other basses have come & went, but my Ibby has always been my “go to” bass. 
Like Dad says, learn your instrument & how to get the most from it. 
I changed the pickups & preamp last month (after 30+ years of the original PUs) & it’s basically given me a new range of sounds in the same instrument.

The only thing I might add, is a fretless bass, but my Seaboard covers any slidey wubby  tones (though usually more sub synth sounding). 

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Not as extreme, but I’m going to only play shorties for a few months to see if I want to sell off the long and medium scale stuff.

So am I!  In fact I will just play one but always take a back up, so I don't suppose it counts.  I'm pretty much head over heels with my '76 Eros shortscale EB-3 at the moment and don't feel it is a hardship to choose it above everything else.  We are recording our next gig for a live CD and I'm looking forward to hearing how that comes out.

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

So am I!  In fact I will just play one but always take a back up, so I don't suppose it counts.  I'm pretty much head over heels with my '76 Eros shortscale EB-3 at the moment and don't feel it is a hardship to choose it above everything else.  We are recording our next gig for a live CD and I'm looking forward to hearing how that comes out.

I think it counts. I would never gig without a backup.

I have 2 shorties, one has flats and the other has rounds and I just pick the one that suits best for the material. My restriction is about scale length rather than a specific bass. If I get through the summer term of rehearsals and gigs without missing a long scale then I might be brave enough to start selling.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NJE said:

It’s quite liberating going down to one bass. I have just played my stingray for about 6 years now, but am tempted to get a P or J or PJ for my 40th for a change.

What was it about having multiple basses that you felt liberated from?

• Haha 1

I've been on one bass since last July.

At the beginning of last year I noticed a bit of arthritis creeping into my fingers and was considering giving up. Someone suggested I try a medium scale bass and so to test the theory I bought an Ibanez Mezzo 5 string. Total game changer and as a result 2 x ACG's, 3 x Bass Collections, a Bacchus and a VM Squier were sold. 

So I'm now playing the Mezzo, and loving it, exclusively as there ain't owt else.

• Like 2