Why become a member? ×

Sod’s Law… Dream bass is never going to appear!

bassatnight

So, you have your dream bass in mind, in your dream finish, you wait for a long, long time for it to appear for sale. You decide eventually that it’s just not going to happen, so you pull the trigger on the dream bass, but not in the finish you are after, then two weeks later your dream bass, in the dream finish appears for sale!!!???

I have just bought a Rickenbacker 4003 in ruby red, less than a fortnight later, my dream finish ‘blue boy’ appears. I had been looking for one for years, so having given up my chances of one appearing, I pulled the trigger on a lovely ruby red finish. Arghh!

Pretty sure others have a similar tale to tell.

P.S I am very happy with the ruby red 😉

Steve.

DD8240D3-B7B7-4F18-8DB2-1E5D69255DED.jpeg

Edited by bassatnight
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bassatnight said:

I have just bought a Rickenbacker 4003 in ruby red, less than a fortnight later, my dream finish ‘blue boy’ appears.

If you bought it from a shop on the internet, you have 14 days from when you received it to decide to return it.

• Like 1

I do feel your pain - though personally it’s the Blue-burst 4003 rather than the Blue boy that been on my GAS list for a long time 🤔.   Hope you manage some sort of trade.

Mind,  I reckon you own a genuine dream bass in that Travis Bean TB2000 fretless......😉

EBEA141C-BC41-4398-863D-CAB66EEE51A9.jpeg

• Like 3

Don't forget my oft repeated mantra which came courtesy of a Pat Travers interview.

Buy the bass that feels right , anything else you want can be fixed with a screwdriver , a soldering iron or a spray gun.

In this case you probably only need the spray gun

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I avoid red anything where possible. Green on the other hand....

strange ...i tended to have a natural aversion to green guitars, they just didn't seem that rock and roll. Despite this I did however manage to pick up a fantastic playing green guitar at a heavy discount over the red option thinking that maybe i could always get it resprayed ... some thirty years later i still have it and it's still green but i love it very much ...still think about the red one though. 

19 hours ago, bassatnight said:

So, you have your dream bass in mind, in your dream finish, you wait for a long, long time for it to appear for sale. You decide eventually that it’s just not going to happen, so you pull the trigger on the dream bass, but not in the finish you are after, then two weeks later your dream bass, in the dream finish appears for sale!!!???

I have just bought a Rickenbacker 4003 in ruby red, less than a fortnight later, my dream finish ‘blue boy’ appears. I had been looking for one for years, so having given up my chances of one appearing, I pulled the trigger on a lovely ruby red finish. Arghh!

Pretty sure others have a similar tale to tell.

P.S I am very happy with the ruby red 😉

Steve.

I didn't had such a problem. My dream bass Ibanez GWB1005 natural flat and all is fine.

Yeah, been there a couple of times over the years. Feel your pain.

Over time, however, my wait for whatever dream bass(es) has often changed/morphed into something else. GAS didn’t go away, just re-focused on something else. Strange how we convince ourselves that nothing else will do……….wait up, maybe this or that will do or is, in fact, better.

• Like 2

On 28/02/2023 at 22:22, Shaggy said:

I do feel your pain - though personally it’s the Blue-burst 4003 rather than the Blue boy that been on my GAS list for a long time 🤔.   Hope you manage some sort of trade.

Mind,  I reckon you own a genuine dream bass in that Travis Bean TB2000 fretless......😉

EBEA141C-BC41-4398-863D-CAB66EEE51A9.jpeg

Yep that is my dream Ric colour altho i'd go for a fretted one.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1