Why become a member? ×

Is there a more expensive ‘70s Fender available.....anywhere?

MungoBass

If it hasn't been played, why the hell would someone sand the neck pocket? I saw this and was somewhat skeptical about this.

I have no reason to doubt Mr Baxter, but if I were buying I'd certainly ask for an explanation as to why this had happened as I'm scratching my head a little bit. Perhaps a shim was fitted at some point?

We may question his prices, but there's a lovely looking Fender Precision fretless on there which is very rare indeed, for what's a good reasonable price.

• Like 1

I now (as of this minute) have a 1979 (well it might be 1978 or up to 1981, I never checked) Fender Precision for sale at a bargain price of £14,000. 

Seriously, it is a very clean bass for the age, and someone might be willing to pay a premium for that. Not me but I can kinda see the rationale for the pricing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

I now (as of this minute) have a 1979 (well it might be 1978 or up to 1981, I never checked) Fender Precision for sale at a bargain price of £14,000. 

Seriously, it is a very clean bass for the age, and someone might be willing to pay a premium for that. Not me but I can kinda see the rationale for the pricing. 

I don't doubt someone may be very happy to buy it. I just doubt that the little body blemishes which I can see easily from the photos haven't been touched up.

To be fair at first glance I thought it's never been out of its case and is not even played in but as the photos unfolded a different story to my eyes I changed my mind.

If I looked over most peoples used cars they might cry at what I would find. I am OCD. I can read hallmarks without an eye glass.

To most people when something is out by a mm they don't see it. It screams at me from yards away.

That doesn't make me too fussy it actually makes me have to be more tolerant.

OK I'm a wierdo I confess 🤣

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

I am not sure what the market is here - collectors?

Personally for me, its irrelevant, I'd never spend that much on a bass. I know, classical musicians spend sometimes 5 figure sums on an instrument etc, and that some bass players are also wealthy and like buying things like this. I dare say, it might keep its value (and its value might not actually be £7495 anyway - I don't know if it would actually sell for that).

I buy them to play them, I can feel the difference between a £200 bass and a £500 bass, and I (used to) play often enough to justify the £500 spend. But not much more really. I guess I could extrapolate though.

• Like 1

Part of the allure of vintage instruments in my mind is that they DON'T look new. I want to see a bit of wear and tear, patina and a story behind it. Being sat in a case for 45+ years (maple neck looks like it's seen zero UV) just makes it look like a newish P bass that's really bloody expensive.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Machines said:

Part of the allure of vintage instruments in my mind is that they DON'T look new. I want to see a bit of wear and tear, patina and a story behind it. Being sat in a case for 45+ years (maple neck looks like it's seen zero UV) just makes it look like a newish P bass that's really bloody expensive.

This is true. There was a lovely chap on here who had an incredible collection (Rick, I think) of mint condition vintage instruments. While I'm sure the value was incredible, I could never really get why you'd want something so pristine. 

My old 60s jazz bass I used to carry in a soft case on the bus, and gig all over. Nowadays it's too expensive to do all that, and it's a shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machines said:

I would usually agree but I can see the attraction here.

It's my YOB and I'm sure there's other 50 year olds out there who will be thinking "all my life, everyday that I've lived, my bass has been sat there in it's case... Patiently waiting for this moment...Patiently waiting for MEEE!!"

There's a lot of rich sentimental 50 year olds about. I hear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Machines said:

That struck me too. Almost like it's been kept in an airtight box - I've never seen an old bass with the neck that pale before!

• Like 1

I think it's kinda cool to see that precision pretty much as how it left the factory, with the LPB finish still being LPB and no discoloration of the neck too. There can't be many like this around.

I'd never buy it though as I prefer to see some history on old stuff I own. Aside from the price, as that would be another reason for me not to purchase.

For those interested; it might be worth contacting Andy in advance, maybe there is some negotiating possible on the price. His prices aren't always fixed.

38 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Once a bass hits 50 years old the value increases significantly.  You'll notice a dearth of 1974 basses in the market this year, as people will buy/hold onto them until next year for profit.

Nothing to do the old men hitting 50 and wanting to have something as a special present? Not that I'm 50 this year or looking for a 1973 P Bass. At all. Definitely don't contact me if you have one to sell. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I think it's kinda cool to see that precision pretty much as how it left the factory, with the LPB finish still being LPB and no discoloration of the neck too. There can't be many like this around.

I'd never buy it though as I prefer to see some history on old stuff I own. Aside from the price, as that would be another reason for me not to purchase.

For those interested; it might be worth contacting Andy in advance, maybe there is some negotiating possible on the price. His prices aren't always fixed.

It only weighs 8lbs too which will only add to it's 70s rarity goodness gracious me factor...

Edited by miles'tone