Why become a member? ×

One step closer to our bass heroes

Cat Burrito

Once saw Bill Wyman at an airport - we were sitting opposite each other on the bus to the plane. I asked him if he was Si Si Je Suis Un Rockstar. He said he was. At the top of the stairs he turned left for first class and me right for steerage. But I did extract a priceless nugget of useful info from him before we parted. At the time (early 80s) Zep had stopped and I was concerned about Page. I knew JP knew the Stones so I inquired of Mr Wyman as to how JP was. "He's fine," he said, "he's cut his hair." Wow, I thought, that's how rockstars are.

No steps close to any bass players I quite like. I've been living in around the Costwolds region for a long time now. A decade plus ago me and my then missus got lost while out walking and nearing a house we approached a lady who looked vaguely familiar and asked for directions back to our starting point. Seems we'd inadvertently ended up trespassing on her land but she was very pleasant about it and didn't threaten us with a 12-bore either, which was nice. It were Sade no less. Also shared a urinal with Keith Allen in a pub...kinda, there were two vacant ones between us though!

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club did a meet and greet at a record shop, in Belfast, once. They were playing that evening. I took my baby daughter along. Apparently Peter Hayes was a tad hungover, so didn't turn up. Robert and Leah played a few acoustic songs. My daughter was getting a bit restless after a while and Robert asked the audience to move in a bit closer. He said something along the lines of "Bring the baby too". I got my copy of "Beat The Devil's Tattoo" signed by them both.

Non-music related - I met George Best at a book signing once and got my photo taken with him.

• Like 1

I bumped into Shane Embury from Napalm Death in a Waitrose a few years ago.  Really nice guy who took the time to shake my hand.  Poor bloke being bothered by a star struck 40 something  while he did his weekly shop.

Edited by kendall
  • Like 1

I did meet a non music hero once. I used to do downhill mountain bike racing and somehow ended up in the national championships. After taking my usual pre race nerve poo, I whacked current world champion Gee Atherton with the portaloo door, almost knocking him off his crutches. He wished me good luck in the race. Nice bloke.

• Haha 2

Back in t'mid '80s, my gateway into the dark and demented world of slap was Kajagoogoo's Too Shy, I learned some basic techniques by plonking along on my completely inappropriate Washburn B20.

I got to meet Nick Beggs a few years ago after a Steven Wilson gig, and had the opportunity to gently rebuke him for being directly responsible for me cluttering and clattering dozens of otherwise perfectly good songs with sloppy, badly-played and entirely unnecessary slap lines.

I think he was faintly amused.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Not as cool as your story, but I managed to get Patricia Morrison to sign my copy of Floodland.

I think I’ve just made a connection in the depths of my memory. Years ago my mates band supported the Damned at a local gig. I was on the desk FOH and towards the end of the set this stroppy American girl came up to me and demanded to know when they were going to be finished because this set was going on a bit. Not long I said and off she went. Next thing I know is she’s on stage playing bass with the Damned. She must have been Patricia Morrison right?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Velarian said:

I think I’ve just made a connection in the depths of my memory. Years ago my mates band supported the Damned at a local gig. I was on the desk FOH and towards the end of the set this stroppy American girl came up to me and demanded to know when they were going to be finished because this set was going on a bit. Not long I said and off she went. Next thing I know is she’s on stage playing bass with the Damned. She must have been Patricia Morrison right?

Yes, that would have been her.  Quite a forthright lady, as I recall, but she was nice to me when I asked for her autograph.  Incredibly sexy black Jazz Bass, too.

• Like 1

I’ve met a few heroes over the years and been lucky that they were all pleasant and easy to get on with. For example, I’ve been presented with guitars that I won in competitions by bot Steve Howe and Gordon Giltrap - two of my three favourite guitar players (never met Gary Moore). Got to know Gordon over the years; such a lovely guy.

EACE7DFF-E219-41D3-965F-78E174620D12.thumb.jpeg.e4578e7762428cb5aa5e74ac0e910e32.jpegFB205443-C610-4BB8-935E-D6315B17B589.jpeg.b93da9b470fd0ccf6db909ff74e722be.jpeg00C28D66-C465-44EF-96DD-3633009E2370.thumb.jpeg.9ceedbed007d7d3112bd12de9278273e.jpegF077D2B6-9209-4078-9D24-DD6EABFE917A.jpeg.22c0773fb37807343d3ab48c71ebbc27.jpeg

But my most treasured hero moment was meeting Phil Lynott after a gig at the Cornwall Coliseum on their farewell tour in 1983. After the 83, as usual, I was hanging around in the empty hall waiting for my dad to pick me up (it was a 25 minute drive from home) and watching the crew breaking down the gear. Phil wandered out on stage (a little wobbly) carrying a huge, half finished vodka bottle. He spotted me standing in the middle of the empty auditorium and shouted over, asking if everything was OK. 

I said “Sure, just waiting for my dad, and watching the crew break down. It’s alright, he’ll be here in about a quarter of an hour.” So he said, “Well come up here and we’ll wait.” I climbed over the barrier and he and a roadie helped me up onto the stage. 

So we spent the next 15 or 20 minutes sitting on Brian’s drum riser just chatting until my dad turned up. Of course I asked him if he was really splitting up the band and if he had plans for what he’d do next. The answer to the first was, of course, “Yes.” And the second just got a wink, a tap of the finger on the side of the nose and “I’ve got a few ideas!” Then we sat here just shooting the breeze with our legs dangling off the riser. At one point he accidentally kicked my leg as he was swinging his legs and spent a couple of minutes apologising profusely in the way only happily tipsy people can do. 

At one point Scott poked his head out, spotted us and quickly retreated backstage.

Eventually dad showed up at the other end of the hall and I jumped down to get my lift home. We exchanged a little wave as I went out the rear doors and he wandered back stage. What a lovely guy he was!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Oh yeah, and I used to chat regularly to the four girls from B*Witched when they worked on the tills at my local Tesco to make some spending cash before their first single came out. Four Irish girls caught my attention as a fully (Northern) Irish person so I’d always make a point of saying “Hi!” and having a chat whenever they served me. Not exactly “musical heroes” though!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrevorR said:

But my most treasured hero moment was meeting Phil Lynott after a gig at the Cornwall Coliseum on their farewell tour in 1983. After the 83, as usual, I was hanging around in the empty hall waiting for my dad to pick me up (it was a 25 minute drive from home) and watching the crew breaking down the gear. Phil wandered out on stage (a little wobbly) carrying a huge, half finished vodka bottle. He spotted me standing in the middle of the empty auditorium and shouted over, asking if everything was OK. 

I said “Sure, just waiting for my dad, and watching the crew break down. It’s alright, he’ll be here in about a quarter of an hour.” So he said, “Well come up here and we’ll wait.” I climbed over the barrier and he and a roadie helped me up onto the stage. 

So we spent the next 15 or 20 minutes sitting on Brian’s drum riser just chatting until my dad turned up. Of course I asked him if he was really splitting up the band and if he had plans for what he’d do next. The answer to the first was, of course, “Yes.” And the second just got a wink, a tap of the finger on the side of the nose and “I’ve got a few ideas!” Then we sat here just shooting the breeze with our legs dangling off the riser. At one point he accidentally kicked my leg as he was swinging his legs and spent a couple of minutes apologising profusely in the way only happily tipsy people can do. 

At one point Scott poked his head out, spotted us and quickly retreated backstage.

Eventually dad showed up at the other end of the hall and I jumped down to get my lift home. We exchanged a little wave as I went out the rear doors and he wandered back stage. What a lovely guy he was!

What a brilliant story!

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 4

Vinny Shilleto (Ozric Tentacles etc) bought a silver Volvo 850 off me years ago...

Really nice guy to chat to and of course I asked him what bass he played? 

.... he told he had owned them all but, had settled on a Spector and really raved about them. He had a noodle on my Squier 1st gen VMJ and liked it, or he may been very polite😊

I finally bought a Spector, he was quite correct😎

• Like 3

The duo that I was 50% of supported the Strawbs sometime in the 80s, and I had the opportunity to tell Dave Cousins what a great influence he'd been on my songwriting. I don't know if he would have regarded that as a compliment, of course.

I also had a gig programme signed by Gary Glitter and Gerry Shephard as they left the New Street Odeon. I have no idea what happened to that.

On 31/01/2023 at 14:22, Velarian said:

AKA Mrs Vanian and Damned Manager

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, tauzero said:

The duo that I was 50% of supported the Strawbs sometime in the 80s, and I had the opportunity to tell Dave Cousins what a great influence he'd been on my songwriting.

How terrific to see Dave Cousins mentioned. In the late 80s/early 90s Acoustic Strawbs were playing a local pavilion. I'd been a fan since the 70s so took my then wife along. At the interval I went out for a pee and found myself standing alongside DC at the urinals. I asked him if he'd dedicate a song to my wife, told him her name and, sure enough, during the second set he did!

• Like 1

I was over the moon when I met Lou Barlow at the merch table of a Sebadoh gig. I told him his style inspired me to pick up music again. 

He was very nice to me. And liked my story. 

Then ten minutes later he came up to me, called me by my name and introduced me to Geddy Lee’s nephew! 

I felt special. 

20588518-CEE2-4B4E-9E1E-DB8BDF409858.jpeg

Edited by Nothingman
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Nothingman said:

I was over the moon when I met Lou Barlow at the merch table of a Sebadoh gig. I told him his style inspired me to pick up music again. 

Then ten minutes later he came up to me, called me by my name and introduced me to Geddy Lee’s nephew! 

I felt special. 

Awesome. Love Lou’s work, top bloke.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nothingman said:

I felt special. 

Love his playing style plus he always looks like he's having so much fun on stage.

I'd buy him a pint if I ever get the chance. 

• Like 2

I was working in Lakeside shopping centre back in '92 (?) and me and my mate spotted Steve 'Arry Harris, my bass God, having a spot of lunch with his Mrs. ( or a random lady, who knows) so we sprinted all the way back to HMV and purchased an Iron Maiden calendar, and returned to get the good man to autograph it, which he did with a smile and good grace, despite being halfway through a sizeable cheese baguette. I wish we could have had a chat, but I felt it was pushing my luck having already spoiled his lunch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 31/01/2023 at 10:24, Barking Spiders said:

No steps close to any bass players I quite like. I've been living in around the Costwolds region for a long time now. A decade plus ago me and my then missus got lost while out walking and nearing a house we approached a lady who looked vaguely familiar and asked for directions back to our starting point. Seems we'd inadvertently ended up trespassing on her land but she was very pleasant about it and didn't threaten us with a 12-bore either, which was nice. It were Sade no less. Also shared a urinal with Keith Allen in a pub...kinda, there were two vacant ones between us though!

Bizarrely, I have trespassed on the very same land! A singer songwriter I play for lives on that lane and I missed it the first time I went there, headed up that driveway. Realised my mistake pretty early on though. 

My ‘one step closer to a bass hero’ is more of a stumble followed by a face plant. Sometime around 99/00 my band was doing a lot of recording with an engineer turned producer who had been McCartneys studio engineer for about a decade. One night we were in London going to meet a ‘manager’ about a ‘record contract’ and walked passed MPL offices in soho square. At that moment McCartney’s driver comes out and spots our engineer, and they briefly chat about old times and we get introduced. At that point he invites us in to meet Paul. However…. We were late for the manager and I declined……

• Sad 1

Many years ago when I was a trainee sound recordist I was on "Keeping Up Appearances" for a month as boomswinger. In the evenings in true BBC style everyone would meet up in the bar and get p1ssed up. I got chatting to Geoffrey Hughes (of Eddie Yeats fame) and we discovered a mutual love of whisky, and he'd also brought 2 guitars. So we spent many an evening jammin' away, me on "bass" (i.e. bottom 4 strings of an acoustic) and him strumming drunkenly, there may have been singing involved...

Not a bass hero, but a hero nonetheless!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Many years ago when I was a trainee sound recordist I was on "Keeping Up Appearances" for a month as boomswinger. In the evenings in true BBC style everyone would meet up in the bar and get p1ssed up. I got chatting to Geoffrey Hughes (of Eddie Yeats fame) and we discovered a mutual love of whisky, and he'd also brought 2 guitars. So we spent many an evening jammin' away, me on "bass" (i.e. bottom 4 strings of an acoustic) and him strumming drunkenly, there may have been singing involved...

Geoffrey Hughes also voiced Macca in the Yellow Submarine film… so there is a bass connection.

The character of Eddie Yeats in corrie was my hero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

He was a regular at Cropredy Festival for many years too as he was a good friend of the Fairport Convention guys. I was lucky enough to join them all in their backstage trailer post headline show one year with much drink and many songs. He was a lovely chap and a huge music lover. RIP.

• Like 3