Why become a member? ×

Laurel and Pau Ferro Fingerboards?

thebrig

Just wondering how many of you are put off buying a bass if the fingerboard is either Laurel, or Pau Ferro.

I have to admit that I am, it's the paler colour I don't like, especially as I love a really dark rosewood board.

In a blind test, I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sound, or playability.

Am I the only one?

Edited by thebrig

I actually prefer it.. especially with a Natural colour body.

I like the redy-brown Pau Ferro.

The Jazz neck i ordered for my P Bitsa, i chose a lighter colour of i think its called 'Vietnamese Rosewood'... with a more visible pattern. I also asked for light on the Ali-Backer...

Edited by PaulThePlug

I used to be put off by rosewood alternatives, but the blackwood teck used on my epiphone vintage pro thunderbirds looks just like a very dark rosewood. Indian laurel seems to vary greatly; the fingerboard on my squier bullet mustang guitar has really twisty grain, but the laurel on my classic vibe bass vi is very straight & even and actually looks rather attractive.

• thebrig changed the title to Laurel and Pau Ferro Fingerboards?

This is my Indian laurel Squier Bass Vi.

16725104898208353819170767507270.thumb.jpg.2ac57fb1c2b1136b5468f4982c7d8040.jpg

This is my rosewood P bass.

16725103031178772875452493371136.thumb.jpg.aebcf493a3cea48ebe3953f0dd15fb35.jpg

If I didn't know I'm genuinely not sure I could tell which was which or even that they were made from different woods.

Maybe it's more obvious on more figured rosewood boards?

Anyway, I'm more than happy with both.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

I've had a couple of instruments, guitars and basses with laurel and pao ferro fingerboards. I must admit I like the Laurel boards very much, the grain and colour is mostly very consistent and a darker shade than pao ferro. Saying that I had a Jazz with a really striking striped pao ferro grain which was quite fetching. My ears arent good enough to detect any tonal difference between them, perhaps pao ferro is a little brighter? The look of a board would swing whether I purchased an instrument or not. Thats the old chestnut of how it looks being almost as important as how it sounds.

96623780_Screenshot2022-12-31at18_57_36.thumb.png.99c70af31fe97a5889a7201c943e2c5b.png

Pao Ferro board on a Player

668484947_Screenshot2022-12-31at19_02_06.thumb.png.9475eccc926227e906b1f6836c896899.png

Laurel board on a Squire CV - this was a really nice example and as dark as my USA Fenders.  The board below is from a stratocaster. Can you tell by looking at it whether its rosewood, pao ferro or laurel?

1829067845_Screenshot2022-12-31at19_00_19.thumb.png.48bb767d93a20994d92ff9b50d5f9939.png

• Like 2

You need to give it time.

Often new Fenders come with dried out boards that look anaemic. You need to oil every 6 months and play a lot. After a good few years they will age to a dark finish that’s similar to rosewood, it just takes a bit of work.

Dont try to accelerate the process and add too much lemon oil or you could effect the wood and make it soft, and prone to dents (especially if you’re using rounds).

Personally, I’ve never noticed a difference in sound between the 60s Rosewood boards on my vintage Fenders and a brand new Squier, but I’m perhaps a little less discerning that the average Basschatter.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2022 at 14:18, Reggaebass said:

You’re not the only one, I don’t mind what wood it is but it has to be dark, darker the better really, I won’t buy a bass with a light coloured fingerboard , my Sandberg had an ebony board which is so nice 

DA559614-A5E5-47E1-BDB9-DB7D86EAB52B.jpeg

Lovely!

• Thanks 1

Laurel is a bit of a budget option in lieu of rosewood, but pau ferro is a completely different proposition.

If I recall correctly, "Bolivian rosewood" was traditionally the preferred fingerboard wood for USA- made Spector NS basses, and "morado" is Roger Sadowskys' preferred choice for fingerboard wood paired with an alder body, in preference to rosewood. 

Some folks think that in terms of tone, pau ferro is an excellent amalgamation of the warmth of rosewood and the brightness of maple. I can't comment, never having owned a bass with that wood for the fingerboard, but I'd definitely be up for trying it, even on a high-end bass. I like the pinky colour and I'm sure it would sound fine on most basses.

• Like 1

I have a Vintage 335 a-like. It has a 'Rich-wood' fingerboard. Apparently man made IIRC. When my local Tech set it up, he said he thought it was wood and maybe they were lying about it. Whatever....................it's a good playing and sounding guitar. Used it a lot during lockdown one. Don't know about the others but I would definately try one if I had too

The standard option on US-built G&L basses is Chechen (also called Caribbean Rosewood, but not, I think I read, actually part of the Rosewood family). I paid for an upgrade to Indian Rosewood purely for looks: not only is Chechen quite a light shade, but often looks very streaky too. I can't say the fretboard I got is especially beautiful, but at least it's got a nice even colouring.